• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Screaming Cat-Killer Beast ?

dreeness

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
:shock:

link

For the past few months, there have been rumours around here (Southern Ontario, Canada) of people losing cats to something that tears through window screens to get at them. Then by accident I came across the story from Boston about "fisher" rodent things. Has anybody from the US Eastern seaboard or the Midwest heard any similar stories, or anyone else from Canada maybe? It might all be rumours, anyway.

Ah, the fisher cat.

I lived in Boston for 10 years, and I remember occasionally hearing about them in the news. I think they even thought there were some in the park near my house.

Odd that you should post that, dreeness! There was a story in the local rag recently about something killing cats and they speculated it may be a fisher. It doesn't say anything about them ripping windows screens though. Excuse me for posting the whole article, but they only stay on the server for about 3 days:

‘Something is taking our cats’
In the city’s west end, more than a dozen pet felines have disappeared

By Michael Stittle
Local News - Tuesday, September 13, 2005 @ 07:00

The apparent disappearance of more than a dozen cats in Kingston’s west end has worried residents fearful that a displaced wild animal is preying on neighbourhood pets.

“Something is taking our cats,” resident Darlene Daly said yesterday.

She estimates that up to 15 cats have disappeared in just two weeks. Her own cat, Louie, has been missing since Wednesday. Daly, who lives on Grandtrunk Avenue in Waterloo Village, wonders if nearby construction has displaced a fisher.

A fisher is a small omnivore, typically about three feet (90 centimetres) long from head to tail, that preys on other mammals, including mice, squirrels and porcupines.

The fisher is a member of the same family as weasels, mink, otter and skunk. It has a long, slender body, with short legs and furry tail.

A railway overpass is being built through the wetland just south of Waterloo Village that will allow Centennial Drive to connect from Bath Road to Taylor-Kidd Boulevard.

The overpass construction has cut a large swath through the greenbelt and wetland surrounding a branch of the little Cataraqui Creek.

Daly said a resident recently spotted what appeared to be a fisher in a backyard.

It’s not just that cats are missing, she said. “We’ve noticed there are no skunks in the area,” Daly said. “I haven’t seen rabbits out either.”

Fishers are nocturnal animals that prefer hunting snowshoe hares, although they kill other small mammals.

Ken Gilpin, an animal control officer for Kingston, said fisher sightings are no longer rare. He’s heard of several in the past three to five years.

Gilpin is skeptical that the construction displaced a fisher.

“It’s always a possibility if they were living there,” Gilpin said. “But a fisher tends to migrate, and it goes in a large area.”

Eugene DeShane, senior fish and wildlife technician for the Ministry of Natural Resources, agrees.

“It could be just passing through,” DeShane said.

He added that fishers have a large home range of movement: 38 square kilometres for males and 15 square kilometres for females. A fisher in the area could have come from anywhere, he believes, although they definitely feed on cats and will hunt them.

His advice for owners is to keep their pets inside from early evening to late morning.

It’s something DeShane’s wife does herself, ever since they saw a fisher on their property – just an hour’s drive north of Kingston – two years ago.

“My wife puts our cat in the garage every night because she’s afraid a fisher’s going to get it,” DeShane said.

“That’s just a precaution you take, because they’re more nocturnal. They travel at night.”

If a fisher is responsible for the missing cats, there’s little else for residents to do. According to DeShane, wild animals can be caught in traps, but can only be moved one kilometre away from where they were found.

Concerned residents might have to wait for any possible fishers to run out of food.

“If there’s no food there, [the fisher] is going to go someplace else,” DeShane said.

He added that fishers prefer wooded areas and usually travel close to water.

Fishers have always been in Ontario, but have begun to migrate south from the Canadian Shield in the past few years. Fishers have also reportedly been migrating north from the United States.

Source

Picture of a fisher here:
http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/WildSci/mam_picts/fisher.jpg

They're not at all common in this part of Ontario though; they're more of a northern critter.

Consider coyotes. They've really spread, and are well known for taking cats and small dogs. Fishers tend to prey on things like rabbits and porcupines. Coyotes, on the other hand, will eat just about anything. Also, tehy're very comfortable in urban surroundings. They've been found all over the city Chicago, for example, and it doesn't get a lot more urban than that. Coyotes are also very secretive. I've lived in coyote country for 10 years, and the only ones I've seen have been dead on the road.

I've heard about the supposed threat from fishers from a friend living near Boston but I'm a bity dubious - can't seem to find any documented cases.

It's like foxes supposedly attacking cats in the UK. where everyone has heard of it, but actual cases are hard to find. I have seen cats chase off foxes on more than one occasion.

Fisher cats confirmed on Cape Cod

SANDWICH, Mass. -- Authorities finally have proof that fisher cats -- members of the weasel family -- are indeed habitating on Cape Cod.

The often-vicious animals mostly have been suburban legend, with people reporting sightings for nearly two years. But there were never any photos to prove their existence.

That was until Tuesday, when Sandwich police Officer Bruce Lawrence found a fisher cat that had been struck and killed by a car on Route 130 near the Massachusetts Military Reservation. The animal was 23 inches long, had a bushy tail and sharp teeth, and weighed 11 pounds.

Thomas French, of the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, told the Cape Cod Times that Lawrence's discovery was the first confirmation that fisher cats have made their way across the Cape Cod Canal. (See pictures, learn more on MassWildlife site.)

Fisher cats nearly died out in the 1800s after forests were cleared and they were hunted for fur. But reforestation allowed them to repopulate southern New England.

dreeness said:
Then by accident I came across the story from Boston about "fisher" rodent things.

Sorry to go into pedant mode... fishers are Carnivores related to martens and wolverines.

Back