• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sea Creatures Found In Fresh Water & Vice Versa

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
Following on from the Out of Place Animals thread.

There are several places where grey mullet (a shy but tasty brackish water fish) live in fresh water ponds where they were swept in storms. (I cannot give you anything more specific sadly)

Isnt there a place called Seal lake, in canada? (I looked it up in my atlas, -a place called upper seal lake in Qubec just north of the 55 parrellell.)

what about bull sharks?

Hey u made this post directly from my question on the other thread. Anyhow, how about an even more strange circumstance.... I have heard that swarms of eel will cross miles of grassy fields at night-time to move to another pond or river even tho they have gills.

:shock:

So they can, as long as its wet.

I thought it worthy of a new post; sorry if I caused confusion

I know I read recently (like in the last couple of months) that a small shark was found in a lake in Indiana or something. Can't remeber the source.

krobone said:
I know I read recently (like in the last couple of months) that a small shark was found in a lake in Indiana or something. Can't remeber the source.

well there are fresh water sharks, and also, there are some fish that are similar to sharks IE in the shark family which are rare but can live in freshwater. Still, they are a lognshot from an actual shark, so a true shark in indiana waters would certainly be something. Was it something like that? A real shark?

Grey Mullet can go up rivers and live in fresh water no problem,Bass are also found at the higher ends of estuaries as are Flounders.Salmon and Seatrout,infact almost all of the Salmonids can exist in either.
In the Baltic which is quite brackish,there is a mixture of what are usually only fresh or sea fish.

The 1916 series of shark attacks that were the inspiration for the book "Jaws" included a couple that took place several(?) miles inland in Matawn Creek, New Jersey. The suspected culprit was a Great White, but no one really knows. Usually, the only dangerous sharks that go into fresh water are Bull Sharks, also known as Zambezis.

I thought they were the only shark that went into fresh water?

And they are perfectly at home in it, even negotiating rapids.

Anyone know of specific and conclusive information which would tell us if a true salt-water creature could live the latter part of its full life in full fresh water?? (or vice versa).

Perch, Pike, Bream in fact many fish can be found adapt from fresh to salt water. I'm a very keen angler and have seen quite a few programmes where anglers are catching supposedly fresh water fish in salt water.

Kondoru said:
I thought they were the only shark that went into fresh water?

That's what I thought, too, but with the hundreds of species of sharks out there (And my not being an ichthyologist), I didn't want to say for sure. After doing a little Googling, I came upon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_shark#Species

I know there are also Greenland Sharks in Canada's St. Lawrence River, but I don't know how salty its waters are... And for what it's worth, around these parts, pike are nicknamed "Swamp Sharks"!

Kondoru said:
http://www.geocities.com/lakemichiganwhales/

I was looking for seals!

That is proposterous!!!!!!! I lived 18 years of my life no farther than 10 miles from the lake and not a single person ever spoke of whales and dolphins in lake michigan. Is this meant to be a joke or is it actually true?

I've seen that Lake Michigan Whales website somewhere before and yes, it's a joke! If you look at the bottom of the page, there's a disclaimer stating "For entertainment purposes only".

Another freshwater-but-usually-saltwater creature would be the dolphins that live in the Amazon River. There was an FT article a while ago by a guy who went down there to investigate sightings of something that had been spotted with a pod of these dolphins, but that had a weird, sorta multi-humped back. It turned out it was one of the dolphins, that had probably once been attacked by some machete-weilding maniac.

There is a speices of freshwater dolphin that lives in the Amazon Basin,(also some in China and India/Pakistan,if they are not extinct by now),and they do have "humped backs" naturally.There are freshwater seals in Lake Baikal (Russia).There is one speices of shark that is freshwater ,as is one type of stingray.

On a slightly different tack,(and I'm not having a dig at anyone in particular here)on the FT Crypto threads I'm seeing a stunning lack of knowledge about "normal" natural history,please get off your backsides and get familiar with the "normal" stuff before debateing the Crypto stuff. Rant over.Michael buggers of to the woods expecting a fusilade of miffed posters

Human_84 said:
krobone said:

well there are fresh water sharks, and also, there are some fish that are similar to sharks IE in the shark family which are rare but can live in freshwater. Still, they are a lognshot from an actual shark, so a true shark in indiana waters would certainly be something. Was it something like that? A real shark?

Yes, it was a real salt-water shark, can't remember what kind. They figured it was a prank or something. The lake wasn't connected to the sea in any way.

Back