• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Thames Resurgent: Sharks, Sea Horses & Other Aquatic Life

Rrose_Selavy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just had to post this - There's something strangely magical and charming about sea horses. - and not just that it's the men who have babies! They are one of those creatures that could almost be mythical like the unicorn -
if they didn't actually exist.
But they are finding them in the Thames again now.

"Rare seahorse found in Thames
By Mark Prigg, Evening Standard Science Correspondent
14 June 2004
The latest sign of the improving health of the Thames is 15 centimetres long and has not been spotted since 1976. An Essex fisherman has discovered a male short-snouted sea horse living in the Thames. More common along the coast of Africa, experts believe the find could be the latest step in the regeneration of the river and that the tiny sea creatures could soon become a common sight in the Thames because of warmer sea temperatures and less pollution. David Knapp of the Sealife adventure centre in Southend is looking after the seahorse.

"But I think the hot weather at the moment and over last summer means they could be coming back.

"They do need salt water, so won't make it up to central London, but we'd expect them to become very common where the river is saltwater."

According to Mr Knapp, the sea horses should be able to create a breeding colony very quickly.

"Each male can have up to 200 babies, so a breeding colony could be out there already, and we just haven't seen it yet."

Mr Knapp claims the increased cleanliness of the Thames in recent years is largely responsible for the appearance of the sea horse.

He said: "We've seen an awful lot of life in the Thames lately, and we really hope it can get back to the levels in the Sixties and Seventies, when sea horses were common, along with a lot of other sea life.

"If people want to look for seahorses, I'd advise them to look in shallow water."

The sea horse, which is yet to be named, was discovered just outside Lea by Essex fisherman-Brian Baker in his nets among a clump of weed.

"He originally thought it was dead, but threw it in a bucket of water anyway. Ten minutes later he noticed it swimming around quite happily.

"Once he realised how rare the find was, he brought it to us," said Mr Knapp.

Fact file
14 June 2004

Seahorses have not been seen in the Thames since 1976

Male seahorses give birth and carry their offspring in a pouch like kangaroos. They can produce up to 200 babies - and males become pregnant again almost immediately

Male short-snouted seahorses can grow up to 15cm in length

They are normally found in the Canary Islands and along the African coast.

About 35 different species have been discovered

They have no teeth, and swallow their food whole

Each eye of a seahorse moves independently

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/11328105?source=Evening Standard

Rrose Selavy said:
Just had to post this - There's something strangely magical and charming about sea horses. - and not just that it's the men who have babies!

Purely from an aesthetic point of view, when they're investigating each other before sex (I'm guessing, but it seems like courtship behaviour to me), they face up to each other with noses and tails touching so their bodies form a collective 'heart shape'.

That's pretty cute.

I swam through a shoal of seahorses in the Mediterranean years back...

I didn't even know they gathered together in shoals - anyone got a collective noun?

Can't find a photo but here's a nice mosaic depiction to illustrate the point above:

:cool:

Seahorses!
Ahhhh!!!!!!
:blissed:
I know they live around the British Isles but I've never seen one in the wild.

How do we know the sea horse wasn't dumped along with the rest of the aquarium when young Timmy forgot about "Finding Nemo" and started going all "Harry Potter" again?

mooks

While it's true one cannot "know", there seems to be some circumstantial supporting evidence, if the gentleman quoted in the article is correct: they were common thirty or forty years ago and the Thames is less polluted than it has been for a spell. Bald eagles are now a not uncommon winter visitor and summer resident (hatching fledglings and everything) where I live. Fifteen, twenty years ago that wasn't something that had happened for quite a while.

I thinks it's a pretty cool story, myself. BTW, I think the collective noun is 'herd'. ( I'm being serious.)

The Thames got quite a mention this evening on the Bill Oddie wildlife prog on the BBC. Apparently its cleaner now than it has been for 200 years and there are 119 different species of fish to be found as well as dolphins, porpoise and otters.
The prog actually mainly featured the 104 acres of wetlands that have been created in the middle(?) of the city. Looks to be a great place.

Im a citizen of the US and Ive never visited Great Britain but this story makes me feel good. Would love to walk the Thames someday.

Never seen the programme but probably Barnes Wetland Centre in west London. If you walk along the river there you see lots of waterbirds. And Craven Cottage.

lemonpie said:
Never seen the programme but probably Barnes Wetland Centre in west London. If you walk along the river there you see lots of waterbirds. And Craven Cottage.

That would be a sweet little place in the country with roses round the dooor??

Meanderer said:
The Thames got quite a mention this evening on the Bill Oddie wildlife prog on the BBC. Apparently its cleaner now than it has been for 200 years and there are 119 different species of fish to be found as well as dolphins, porpoise and otters.
The prog actually mainly featured the 104 acres of wetlands that have been created in the middle(?) of the city. Looks to be a great place.

Dolphins, Seals at Home in London's Reborn River

James Owen in London
for National Geographic News

April 22, 2005

Fifty years ago London's River Thames was so polluted that it was declared biologically dead. Now the river that flows through the heart of Europe's largest city is awash with wildlife—a triumph worth noting today, Earth Day 2005.

More than 130 seals have been spotted in the Thames since last August, according to the Zoological Society of London. Bottlenose dolphins have been seen upstream of London Bridge. And last summer the first sea horse was recorded in the Thames estuary in 30 years.

With 120 fish species, hundreds of thousands of birds, and a thriving fishing industry, the river now ranks among the cleanest metropolitan tideways in the world.

Ecologists say the Thames owes its revival to pollution control, which has vastly improved water quality.

Commercial fishers are among those reaping the benefits today, taking impressive hauls of eel, sea bass, and Dover sole, said Steven Colclough, a fisheries scientist with the U.K. government's Environment Agency. Colclough said the river is now the largest Dover sole fishery in England and Wales.

The fisheries scientist added that flounder, mullet, and smelt—now present throughout London—are being joined by fish that only tolerate waters untainted by pollution.

"Sea trout are coming back in ever increasing numbers," Colclough said. "Over [the] past four years, we have found sea lamprey spawning consistently in [west London], and the first river lamprey was recorded in 2002."

These incoming crowds are, in turn, boosting numbers of fish-eating birds, such as herons, kingfishers, and grebes.

In 1949 the eminent British ornithologist Richard Fitter declared that heron would never again breed in London. Yet today the number of heron colonies in the city are at an all-time high.

Heron Stronghold

"London has become a U.K stronghold for herons," said John Marchant, of the British Trust for Ornithology. "No doubt the birds are benefiting from a general improvement in water quality and fish stocks in the Thames."

The condition of the Thames—which rises and falls with the tides as far inland as London—was very different 150 years ago. 1858 saw the "Great Stink," when the stench of raw sewage got so bad Parliament, which meets in a riverside building, had to be dissolved.

In 1878 the pleasure steamship Princess Alice sunk in a river collision. Most of the 600 or so passengers who died did so because they were overpowered by a noxious cocktail of human and industrial filth before they could reach safety.

"By the 1950s the Thames was in an even worse state," said Martin Attrill, a marine biologist at the University of Plymouth, England. "A 20-kilometer [12-mile] stretch of river was completely devoid of oxygen."

After London's Natural History Museum declared the Thames biologically dead in 1957, work began to try to rehabilitate the river. Government measures improved sewage waste treatment and banned industry from discharging pollutants into the river.

Today more than half of London's sewage sludge is sold in pellet form as fertilizer for agricultural use.

Attrill says water quality has continued to improve since the 1970s. "There's been a clear and very dramatic decrease in levels of heavy metals and pesticides," he added.

And yet the Thames's ecological renaissance remains a well-kept secret, according to a survey commissioned by the Zoological Society of London (ZSL). Published last week, the survey found that 83 percent of Londoners thought dumped shopping carts were the objects most likely to be found in the river. Just 6 percent of respondents knew about the return of Dover sole. Only 7 percent thought seals could be seen.

"It seems that Londoners know more about tropical rain forests than the river on their doorstep," said Alison Shaw, aquatic conservation manager for the ZSL. "People can't believe there's anything in [the Thames], because it looks so brown and dirty. But that's just the nature of estuaries; they carry a large amount of sediments in the water column."

Eel Migration

Shaw hopes the ZSL can help the river shed its dirty old reputation through a project that will investigate how wildlife uses the Thames estuary.

For instance, researchers are currently tracking juvenile European eels on their spring migration upriver. The eels travel thousands of miles from the Atlantic Ocean's Sargasso Sea, where they are born. "The Thames estuary is also an internationally important area for migratory birds," Shaw added. "It's their first landing stage when they arrive in Britain. Large flocks feed on intertidal mudflats and grazing marshes."

She says it's important that Londoners are aware of the river's burgeoning biodiversity, not least because pollution threats remain.

During violent storms last summer, London's antiquated drainage system was inundated. Some 600,000 tons of raw sewage was released into the Thames to prevent the waste from flooding people's homes. As a result, many thousands of fish were killed.

The U.K. Government has so far stalled on plans for a 3.8-billion-dollar (U.S.), 22-mile (35-kilometer) tunnel under the riverbed to dispose of storm water and displaced sewage.

Perhaps the sight of dolphins surfacing opposite the Houses of Parliament will help swing the debate.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... hames.html

Walking the Thames would take a while, and a lot of the way is inacessable on foot due to private homes backing onto the water. The best way to explore it would be by boat I reckon.

Have a read of Mark Wallingtons 'Boogie Up the River' - One man and his dogs quest for the source of the Thames. They take an 100 year old camping skiff and scull all the way. Its a very funny book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 80-3884478

"Over [the] past four years, we have found sea lamprey spawning consistently in [west London], and the first river lamprey was recorded in 2002."

Prehistoric bloodsucker in Thames

The sea lamprey, an eel-like creature with a sucker-shaped mouth surrounded by teeth, predates the dinosaurs.

But they only venture into fresh water to breed if it is very clean, which is why experts said Oscar Bridge's find is significant.

In the 1960s the Thames was so polluted scientists declared it "biologically extinct" after a survey.

Oscar was taking part in a sponsored clear-up of a riverbank near Fulham's Craven Cottage stadium when he made the discovery.

He said: "All of a sudden I saw this thing and thought, 'what's that?'

"I picked it up and it looked like an eel," he said.

"I did get a shock when I saw the mouth."

He added: "I really like animals - especially creepy ones like that."

What Oscar had found proved to be a 15.5in (40cm) long sea lamprey, one of the most ancient creatures on earth.

Like the shark and the crocodile, sea lampreys have barely changed over thousands of millennia.

The parasitic creature attaches its circular mouth to larger creatures before sucking out their insides.

Chris Coode is river programmes manager for Thames21, the charity that organised the clean-up.

He said: "We have only found one or two in the 15 years we have been cleaning up the Thames.

"The fact they are coming back is a really good sign.

"The Thames is now one of the cleanest city rivers in Europe."

He added: "The lamprey was dead, but it is not a bad thing - because they die immediately after spawning."

On Sunday lampreys were found in the River Wear, County Durham.

The fish was once considered a delicacy - and King Henry I, who lived in the 11th Century, was reputed to have died from eating too many.

However, Oscar said: "It absolutely stank - a horrible fishy smell."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8127483.stm

Not in the Thames but a really rare one spotted off Plymouth. Vid at link.

‘Really, really rare’ seahorse spotted off UK coast

A long-snouted seahorse has been photographed off the coast of Plymouth, south west UK. Also known as a spiny seahorse, the protected marine animal can be found in shallow waters among seagrass meadows, though a licence is needed to look for them.

Diver Mark Parry from the Ocean Conservation Trust recounts his sighting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-57448237

Not in the Thames but a really rare one spotted off Plymouth. Vid at link.

‘Really, really rare’ seahorse spotted off UK coast

A long-snouted seahorse has been photographed off the coast of Plymouth, south west UK. Also known as a spiny seahorse, the protected marine animal can be found in shallow waters among seagrass meadows, though a licence is needed to look for them.

Diver Mark Parry from the Ocean Conservation Trust recounts his sighting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-57448237
What happens if you accidentally see one?

The ecology of the Thames Esturary has changed completely since I grew up there more than half a century ago. It was all flatfish, lugworms and sewage back then. Mind you, we cheerfully used to eat the flatfish we caught (Dabs - mmmm) and used to play round the end of the sewage pipes because the water was warmer. We used to dig up the lugworms and ragworms and sell them for bait. You needed good thick wellies because they bite.

Oh, and that 'ozone' smell wasn't ozone.

Now the water is clear, weed grows on the previously sterile mudflats, and salmon swim upriver. Bottom feeders mostly gone.

Amazing, but possibly less fun.

Weed, or weeds? :D
Actually, that's an interesting point Does anyone ever say 'seaweeds' in normal conversation? But we do talk about garden weeds pretty much always in the plural. .

Actually, that's an interesting point Does anyone ever say 'seaweeds' in normal conversation? But we do talk about garden weeds pretty much always in the plural. .
I think it depends if you are talking about multiple varieties.

Does anyone ever say 'seaweeds' in normal conversation?

yes! Lots of different seaweeds on the beaches near us. It's for different types though, not a simple plural.

Lots of seahorses and other creatures in and on the Thames nowadays.

Sharks, seahorses, eels and seals have been found living in the River Thames, a study has found.

The State of the Thames Report, led by the Zoological Society of London (ZSL), highlights changes since the river was declared "biologically dead" in 1957. The river has seen an increase in its range of birds, marine mammals and natural habitats since the 1990s.

However, a number of fish species found in the tidal areas of the Thames have showed a slight decline, experts found. Conservation scientists said further research was needed to determine the cause.

Climate change has increased the temperature of London's waterway by 0.2C a year, the study said. The rising temperature has meant water levels in the tidal Thames have increased since 1911, ZSL said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-59222372

Back