• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Secret British 'Swan Sect'? (Feather Pits; Swan Worship)

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I think Swan should tell us ;)

Seems like they are extrapolating wildly:

Mysterious 'Swan Pits' Found in U.K.

By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

Feb. 22, 2005 — Archaeologists excavating a 17th century site in Cornwall, England have found 22 mysterious, rectangular pits lined with swan feathers, according to the dig's overseer, Jacqui Wood.

Wood, who is the director of Saveock Water Archaeology in Cornwall, told Discovery News that she suspects the pits could provide evidence for a "secret swan sect" that existed at around 1640, a time in British history when the practice of pagan rituals could have led to a death sentence.

In a report published at http://www.archaeologyonline.org, Marie Jefferis, supervisor of the Saveock site, wrote that of the excavated pits, only six were left with their contents intact. The rest contained small pebbles and fragments of swan feathers and down.

Of the intact six, Jefferis' report mentioned that one contains a lining of swanskin with the feathers still attached. The feathers were wrapped around a black organic material that has yet to be identified. In the center were several quartz pebbles.

"Effort was made to gather these special little stones, as they likely came from 40 miles away near an area in Cornwall that today still is known for its swans," Wood told Discovery News.

Yet another pit contained the feathers of an unidentified brown bird, along with decomposed bird bones, and small claws from different bird species. It also was lined with swanskin and feathers, and had quartz pebbles in it.

The most fascinating pit, according to Jefferis, contained the remains of two whole chickens or cockerels placed at either end. In the middle were egg remains, some of which contained "tiny, unhatched, fully-formed chicks."

The pits were oriented, usually in patterns of three, toward certain directions. They varied in size, but averaged 18 inches long, 13 inches wide, and 8 inches deep.

Near the pits, the archaeologists excavated 48 strips of textile, brass pins, a large quantity of leather, human hair, seeds, remains of flowers, a piece of an iron cauldron and the apparent remains of a stone-lined tank. Jefferis believes that the latter could have been part of a spring that once was used for sacred rituals.

During the 17th century, the swan was dedicated to the royal crown, according to the report. Harsh penalties were imposed upon anyone who caught, killed, or even thought about doing harm to a swan. One case in a local historical archive indicates that a man went to prison for six months just because he was seen walking at a nearby river's edge with a hooked stick.

"We believe that the pits could have been dedicated to the goddess Dana, who also is called Saint Brigit or Saint Bride," Wood said. "Eggs sometimes were associated with protection from thunderstorms. Bride was a sort of mother goddess."

Graham Holderness, professor of English at the University of Hertfordshire who is an expert on Anglo-Saxon culture from the 17th century, agreed that the Cornwall evidence is "fascinating" and that swans were revered in Britain and beyond.

Holderness conferred with Owen Davies, a historian and an expert on 17th century witchcraft and paganism. They stated that swans throughout history often were linked to grace, beauty, peregrination, spirituality and the human soul. The Romans, Hindus, and ancient Celts all incorporated swans into their legends and myths.

Holderness and Davies think Wood and her colleagues pose an "intriguing possibility" concerning the proposed pagan swan rituals, but they do not think paganism was involved in the construction and usage of the pits.

"Unfortunately, this is no more than fantasy, the da Vinci Code of archaeology," Holderness told Discovery News. "The pits relate to no form of magic practiced in the seventeenth century... . The pits sound like the remains of straightforward swan husbandry. The pebbles may have been used as dummies to encourage egg laying or put under broody birds, as with waterfowl breeding today."

He added, "The swan remains as magical a bird as it ever was. But there were no feathered shamans in Cornwall in the 1640's."

Source: http://www.archaeologyonline.org

The page on feather pits:

archaeologyonline.org/Marie%20Feath ... 20Lyon.htm
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
http://www.archaeologyonline.org/Site - Area Feather Pits.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The link should be
http://www.archaeologyonline.org/
(no comma).

Saveock is not too far from here - p'raps I shall make a visit.
We have a Swanpool in Falmouth, and some years back I was a Coastguard at Milford Haven, not far from St Brides Bay.

Whatever can it all mean...? :D

Does indeed sound much more like sorcery (which was widespread in the 17th century) than a religious ceremony. The use of eggs, fowl and animal skin pop up in the grimoires of the period.

Anyone read '1974'? It's obliquely about a swan cult.

little things worry me....

The sites logo is a swan...

The organisation is for profit, not within remit of english heritage or any academic organisation....

the lady in charge has *ahem* roleplaying tendencies...

boynamedsue said:
the lady in charge has *ahem* roleplaying tendencies...
Nowt wrong with role-playing per se; at least she's willing to test her theories in "the field" rather than come up with "brilliant" extrapolations with no reference to practical application.

She does have a "Charlie Dimmock" or "'Time Teams' Cadenza" look about her, though.

Does there have to be a ritualistic answer to this, or could they just be rather bizarre pits for corralling the chicks from domesticated fowl?
Maybe lined with feathers for scent and insulation and with a cloth cover to keep the elements out, or is that too simplistic?

The first item she found on one of her digs was a slate "needle", of exactly the sort she uses in her iron age basketry class :roll:

The pits may just be relics of old fashioned animal cruelty ("wasp factory" style) or perhaps a calculated insult to the king? Wonder how she dated it.

David said:
rynner said:
We have a Swanpool in Falmouth...

I can remember it from the late '70's, lots of large pebbles on a beach, no swans!!!
The Pool is behind the beach, and usually does have swans on it.

(Once this was a little inlet of the sea, before storms built up a shingle bar, separating the Pool from the sea...)

Archæologists Uncover Poss. 17th Century Witchcraft Site

A browse around the very excellent Blather.Net, pointed me in the direction of a story about the discovery of alleged 17th Century withcraft workings, recently discovered in Cornwall.
http://www.blather.net/zeitgeist/archives/2008/03/evidence_of_17th_century_witch.html#more

Original Source:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article3517036.ece

Mysterious pits shed light on forgotten witches of the West

The Times Simon de Bruxelles. March 10, 2008

Evidence of pagan rituals involving swans and other birds in the Cornish countryside in the 17th century has been uncovered by archaeologists.

Since 2003, 35 pits at the site in a valley near Truro have been excavated containing swan pelts, dead magpies, unhatched eggs, quartz pebbles, human hair, fingernails and part of an iron cauldron.

The finds have been dated to the 1640s, a period of turmoil in England when Cromwellian Puritans destroyed any links to pre-Christian pagan England. It was also a period when witchcraft attracted the death sentence.

Jacqui Woods, leading the excavations, has not traced any written or anecdotal evidence of the rituals, which would have involved a significant number of people over a long period. There are no records of similar practices anywhere else in the world.

Ms Woods, an archaeologist who has advised on the discovery in 1991 of Europe’s oldest human mummy, the “Iceman”, in an Alpine glacier, has been digging at the site at Saveock Water for the past eight years. Saveock Water was, in the 17th century, a community of five houses whose occupants worked at a nearby mill.

Human occupation of the site dates to prehistoric times but some of the activity uncovered was more recent. A stone-lined spring that may have been a “holy well” was full of offerings from the 17th century, including 125 strips of cloth from dresses, cherry stones and nail clippings.

There was evidence that the well had been filled and the site destroyed to hide what went on there.

Each of the feather pits, which are“ about 40cm square by 17cm deep (15 by 6in), have been carefully lined with the intact pelt of one swan and contain other bird remains.

The pits where the contents were intact also contained a leaf parcel holding stones that experts have traced to Swanpool beach, 15 miles (24km) away, an area famed for its swan population. Ms Woods said: “Killing a swan would have been incredibly risky at this time because they are the property of the Crown.”

There was a particularly macabre discovery in one of the feather pits: fifty-seven unhatched eggs ranging in size from a bantam to a duck. They were flanked by the bodies of two magpies, birds that have long been the subject of superstition in Cornish folklore. The organic remains survived because they were preserved in the water-logged ground. Although the shells of the eggs had dissolved, the membrane remained, revealing chicks shortly before they were due to hatch.

Ms Woods said: “A lot of the paganism of the Celts was wiped out by the Romans, but not in Cornwall.

“Swan feathers had a connection with fertility. It’s possible these offerings were being left. Then, if there was a conception, nine months later the person would return to empty the pit.

“Often when secret rituals are abandoned people will talk about ‘things that were done in my grandmother’s day’ but there has been no whisper of this. It really makes me wonder whether that is because it is still going on.”

Ms Wood will deliver a paper on the feather pits at the World Archaeology Conference in Dublin in June.

Mysterious and tantalizing traces of something, or other. :confused:

Went looking for this place today.

Saveock (as mapped) is just a crossroads with one or two houses.
Saw a sign for Saveock Mill (which is the given postal address), but the site itself seems to be away from this, and just south of the railway line.

They don't seem keen on capturing passing trade....

Pits full of feathers is reminding me of a late medieval industrial process, I just cant bring to mind what exactly..

Wanders off to bookcase with a frown.

Oh yeah... if we can't explain it it must be ritual activity...

Pits lined with swans down/feathers reminds me of the way my mother wanted to be buried.

She had read about these egg shaped caskets lined with down and feathers. "Now that's for me " she anounced, spookily just a few weeks before she died (back in the late 90's)

Could I find the caskets in question? No, but I recall that it reminded me then of some Russian folk tales relating to swans, feathers and such.

This thread has caused a long-forgotten memory to come trickling up from the deeper wells of my subconscious.

Many years ago I read that 17th and 18th Century Cornish smugglers used to secrete fine chinaware in pits lined with swan feathers!

The reason was simple - to prevent breakage, even if the pits were walked or even ridden over.

Mighty_Emperor said:
I think Swan should tell us ;)

Seems like they are extrapolating wildly:

Mysterious 'Swan Pits' Found in U.K.

By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

The pits were oriented, usually in patterns of three, toward certain directions. They varied in size, but averaged 18 inches long, 13 inches wide, and 8 inches deep.

Not so much pits then, as shoe box size holes in the ground.

Ringo_ said:
Not so much pits then, as shoe box size holes in the ground.

Oh, I've got it now. Those long-ago Cornish smugglers were smuggling SHOES! And one at a time at that.

Or maybe they were smuggling them for Peg-Leg Paul.

Back