• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seek The Dark

oweny29

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This happened to me last week. Whilst driving to work, I was stuck behind a large, dirty lorry. In the dirt, somebody had scrawled the words "SEEK THE DARK" very clearly with their fingertip. It makes a change from "clean me", I suppose. It struck me as odd. Why would somebody write that?

Has anyone ever seen other strange grafitti, in dirt or otherwise?

On a wall near the railroad crossing on the way to the grocery store, amid the gang tags, is a large, clear, green graffito: Danger Loves You.

I saw a dirty white van: in the dirt, someone had written:

"Do not clean - potatoes planted"!

Siberian Huskies In Transit

I once saw a blue van with white words on the back in the form of:

Siberian
Huskies
In
Transit

With the capital letters (S H I T) very well pronounced, almost on purpose one would say.

I have seen in the dirt on the back of a van 'I wish my wife was this filthy'.

My brother's work van got that once, and he added 'Mine is!'

"seek the dark" i've seen this phrase recently, either in a book i've been reading or on the web, but definitely within this past 2weeks. maybe its the name of a group or an album? dunno but really spooky seeing it as this thread title. have to rack my brains see if i can remember.

somebody wrote on the rear of my car last week "CLEAN MY ARSE PLEASE," lol.

on a wall in Bolton lancashire there was for many years the slogan
'Ok potatomen, let's go!!!' I thought it was great.

Also near the end of the motorway leading into Liverpool's edge lane,
an old stone overpass has 'magic made me mushrooms' painted on it. Which i also think is great

On a bridge over the M25, only noticed it yesterday "GIVE PEAS A CHANCE"

I once saw a "KEEP YOUR DISTANCE" sign on a white van with "OR I'LL BUGGER YOUR DOG" written in the dirt underneath it. Quite a hostile (yet strangely hilarious) slogan to encounter in the Monday morning rush hour!

frank_poulankh said:
I once saw a "KEEP YOUR DISTANCE" sign on a white van with "OR I'LL BUGGER YOUR DOG" written in the dirt underneath it. Quite a hostile (yet strangely hilarious) slogan to encounter in the Monday morning rush hour!

Well, you know what men in white vans are like. I hope you did keep ypur distance for Fidos sake.

As an eager faced boy in the mid-1960s I recall seeing a beatnik/hippie camper van with 'Tess of the Dormobiles' signwritten on the wing.

When I was in college, I remember graffiti on freeway bridges seemed to never get removed/painted over, but once I saw on a bridge: "I don't want the world, I just want your half" (a lyric from a They Might Be Giants song, "Anna Ng", the quote above is preceded by, "When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge...") I thought it was hilarious, but someone must've found it sinister, 'cause it was immediately painted over. Later I found out the graffiti had been painted by a friend of a friend!

But the strangest graffiti I ever saw was fairly recent: on a small half-wall in a park (next to a bench) someone had scrawled "Orthodox Church in America".

Neither is Fortean by any stretch, of course! But neither is this thread, really...

Written on a building overlooking the beach in my hometown is this gem.

"Normal folk are daft"

Three Lancashire favourites for you.

Painted on a fly-over on the East Lancs road in the late '80's-early '90's was the legend "The Pies! The Pies!", which showed a certain solidarity with local cuisine.

A long-defunct factory wall in Lancaster bore a bitter truth at which we can only guess- some benighted soul had written "My Dad is a fat c***".

A ginnel (google it, Southern and US readers) features a remark that is the very height of objectivity - "Derek's growth is cool". Over to you, Banksy.....

oweny29 said:
This happened to me last week. Whilst driving to work, I was stuck behind a large, dirty lorry. In the dirt, somebody had scrawled the words "SEEK THE DARK" very clearly with their fingertip. It makes a change from "clean me", I suppose. It struck me as odd. Why would somebody write that?

Has anyone ever seen other strange grafitti, in dirt or otherwise?

This interests me.
Certain members of the Rune-Gild and Temple of Set sign off their emails with the phrase "Reyn Til Runa", which basically means "Seek the Mysteries". And, since the ToS at least sees "the dark" and "mysteries" as the same concept - "Seek the Dark" could easily be translated as a modified version of Reyn Til Runa.
Some young follower of the LHP perhaps did this graffiti.

Painted on a fly-over on the East Lancs road in the late '80's-early '90's was the legend "The Pies! The Pies!", which showed a certain solidarity with local cuisine.

This is in reference to Wigan Athletic football club, or perhaps Wigan RFC. I can't remember which, but one of them has this as their nickname, but yes, it is due to a fondness for pies in the northwest area. incidentally, in Bolton, people eat Pasty barms - a pasty in a bread role. ;)

Seen on a wall -
My Mum made me a transvestite - two weeks later, and underneath it -
If I buy the wool, will your Mum make me one too?

On a bus tour of the outback a couple of years ago we stopped at a drop toilet.
It was quite neat and on the inside of the door was painted eye of Horus in a triangle and the words " What damage are we doing"?
I thought it was most unusual particularly in such a remote place.

Bristol Central library toilets about 6 years ago-above the toilet cistern someone had drawn around their hands and wrote underneath "This is where my hands were when I was being bummed". :D

There's a 'famous' bit of graffiti in Leeds on the viaduct over Burley Road that says "Neither Work Nor Leisure", it's been there forever.

Another long standing piece was "I Wish I Could Fly" on the 'blind' bridge over the railway line by Headingley Sports Ground. That got painted over at some point, I forget when.

Cira late 80s, there was graffiti that just said "LizGizzard" or "LizGiz" everywhere around studentland, something I'd forgotten about for years, until I cycled up the canal path and found that there's a very faded "LizGiz" remaining, on a large metal pipe thingy that's next to one of the canal bridges.

The one that I wonder if it's still there is "A Clockwork Orange" which appeared on the wall by one of the car park entrances at Cross Gates Arndale Centre cira 70s. It was still there mid 90s, may still be just I haven't had reason to go that way for a long time.

In the 80s the wall in my work toilet had written on it: If Margaret Thatcher is the answer, we're asking all the wrong questions.

On the wall at the end of a cul-de-sac: Wits End.

And the almost despairing: I can't think of anything to write.

Best Graffiti for me was in a corridor at the top of the Empire State building. Somebody had stamped on the wall "Ich bin ein Stempel".

Back