• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seven Wonders Of The World

A

Anonymous

Ok, just out of interest I'd like to find out what you all know regarding the seven wonders of the world, both ancient and modern. Come to think of it, what exactly are they? Can anyone name them all!!!
I know the obvious ones like stonehenge, but what about more obscure stuff like the hanging gardens of babylon?

the ancient world:-

pyramids at giza
pharos of alexandria
hanging gardens of babylon
statue of zeus at olympia
mauseoleumod halicarnassus
colussus od rhodes
temple of artemis at ephesus

the modern world:
empire state building
itaipu dam
cnn tower
panama canal
channel tunnel
north sea protection wokrs
golden gate bridge.

personally i find the ancient ones far more intruiging - i have seen the pyramids at giza, but would love to be able to go back in time and witness the gardens at babylon and the colussus of rhodes - must have been spectacular!

an alternative list of modern wonders:
The Taj Mahal.
The Great Wall of China.
The Easter Island Statues.
The Eiffel Tower.
The Mayan City of Tikal, Central America.
The Space Shuttle.
Chartres Cathedral.

i think there a lot of variations of the modern wonders....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that, superb. I have to agree that the "old ones are the best " in this case, i'd love to see the pyramids. The Colussus of Rhodes has always fascinated me as well.
I recall seeing an old black and white photograph of some fishermen who had recovered, what they claimed to be, a section of hand from the statue. Of course, they didn't find any other bits!!.

I'm a bit dissapointed to see that the only one I've seen from the complete list is the Taj Mahal, but it was beautiful. If you stand at the main gate and walk backwards, whilst looking at the Taj Mahal directly, it gives off the optical illusion that it's actually coming towards you.

I saw a programme recently about the giant from Rhodos. They shoiwed a computer simulated image of the harbor and town. Why don't we have urban planning like that anymore, it was really beautiful.

I also saw a programme about the Babylon Gardens. Trying to find out how it was watered. How do you get involved in those archeological reconstructions?

Andy Hosk said:
Thanks for that, superb. I have to agree that the "old ones are the best " in this case, i'd love to see the pyramids.

Don't bother, Andy, it is a tourist trap, camel rides, kids selling scarabs, loud tourists of various nationalities . . . Mind you, the son et lumiere is good . . .

Carole

7 wonders

Hiya All

OK, you've named the seven wonders of the world, but what would you name as the seven wonders of britain. (ancient or modern).

By the way, it's the CN tower, as in Canadian National Railway - not the CNN tower!

Grrrrr.

Nonny "Proud Canuck" Mouse

Re: 7 wonders

The Lecky Mouse said:
Ok, you've named the seven wonders of the world, but what would you name as the seven wonders of britain. (ancient or modern).

Righto, here goes:

Callanish
Silbury Hill
The White Horse of Uffington
Caernarfon Castle
York Minster
Edinburgh Castle
Fylingdales "golf balls" (now sadly destroyed)

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I want to put down! BTW, what are the seven wonders of Wales? I can remember the church tower at Wrexham and Llangollen Bridge, but I've forgotten the others!

Interesting that the only mention of Stonehenge so far was in the very first post; it has been subsequently ignored. Are we all so blase about it?

(BTW, how do you do 'e' acute on this here MB - or any other windows stuff - without poncing around with new fonts?)

How about a word for IKB - his railway bridge over the Tamar, or his Clifton suspension Bridge, are surely worth a mention?

rynner said:
Interesting that the only mention of Stonehenge so far was in the very first post; it has been subsequently ignored. Are we all so blase about it?

Well I used to hold a great deal of interest in Stone Henge until I read this Article .
Link is dead. The MIA webpage (extinct since 2002(?)) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020204142445/http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicstonehenge.html

How They Rebuilt Stonehenge

For decades the official Stonehenge guidebooks have been full of fascinating facts and figures and theories surrounding the world's greatest prehistoric monument. What the glossy brochures do not mention, however, is the systematic rebuilding of the 4,000 year old stone circle throughout the 20th Century.

This is one of the dark secrets of history archaeologists don't talk about: The day they had the builders in at Stonehenge to recreate the most famous ancient monument in Britain as they thought it ought to look. ...

It sort of lost it's magic for me after reading that.

Last edited by a moderator:
rynner said:
Interesting that the only mention of Stonehenge so far was in the very first post; it has been subsequently ignored. Are we all so blase about it?[/B]

I visited Stonehenge a few years ago, and was distinctly underwealmed by the experience. The circle itself is superb, but the way the poor thing's been treated by English Heritage put me off including it in my list. I admit that all mine are places I've been lucky enough to see, and all make (or made) me feel a sense of wonder on being there. You know, just standing there and going "Aaaahhhh!" Sorry, probably made it a bit personal. Mind you, I didn't include Caerwent, my favourite ancient site. I'll never forget the feeling I had when I rounded a bend and saw those huge walls and towers surrounding nowt but a tiny village in the middle of nowhere...

How about a word for IKB - his railway bridge over the Tamar, or his Clifton suspension Bridge, are surely worth a mention?

Good point, I'd also include the Humber Bridge. The view from the country park is amazing!

not the least bit fortean and nobody will agree but i've always thought the cooling towers of power stations (i pass the ones at didcot on the train quite a bit) are beautiful - the rest of the power station is horrible but those towers are so elegant and simple and classically proportioned - they should be listed and preserved. and it's only harmless steam they give off.

Just like to submit my Seven Wonders of the Middle Ages (Middle meaning between the original seven and the new seven in the first post)

Angkor Wat
The Nazca Lines
York Minster
Newtonian Mechanics
Da Vinci's Mind
Caxton's Printing Press
The Mary Rose

Sorry for the bit of Brit bias, but, hey!

Anton La_Vey said:
Angkor Wat

Now that place is incredible, I'd like to visit it sometime while I'm still young. Another place would be Macchu Picchu........

According to an article I read Macchu Picchu is on the verge of falling off of the mountain - 10 years at max. Very sad, not only because it'll collapse, but because I forgot to include it! Bye, Bye Caxton! :)

Art_Vandelay said:
Well I used to hold a great deal of interest in Stone Henge until I read this Article . It sort of lost it's magic for me after reading that.
Don't be so cynical - the stones were there, and had been there for millenia, and the folks who 'restored' them were no less intelligent than we are.

It's not like Disneyland, a heap of crap created in the middle of nowhere.... (Why do I get this feelng that I'm about to be acccused of paedophilia or worse...?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that these have been mentioned in another thread somewhere, but has anyone ever visited the Rollwright stones in Gloucestershire?. It's a circle of stones that apparently change in number everytime you count them. I remember trying this ages ago, a getting a totally different number each time.

Also, on the subject of cooling towers mentioned by Jack, as a kid I used to think that these were cloud making machines because of the way the steam rises into the sky. I also used to think a monkey lived on the tip of our TV aerial, but it's probably best I don't go into detail:D

7 wonders of the UK:
The Magic roundabout
Croyden underpass
Baisingstoke
"The Dome"
Milton Keynes
Blackpool pleasure beach
Neasdon

Az

Andy Hosk said:
I know that these have been mentioned in another thread somewhere, but has anyone ever visited the Rollwright stones in Gloucestershire?

Where exactly? Sounds fun!

Mind you, most things I count differently each time...

Az

Anton La_Vey said:
According to an article I read Macchu Picchu is on the verge of falling off of the mountain - 10 years at max.
Or maybe sooner. Last summer, the main Sun Stone got damaged by a collapsing crane when a beer commercial was being filmed there; the film crew hadn't got permission to be there, but didn't let that worry them. Plus, there are plans to build a soddin' great tourist resort nearby, with mountain-lifts to to save the gawkers the bother of actually climbing to the monument.
As to the Rollright Stones (note the spelling), they have a whole website to themselves: http://www.rollrights.org.uk

Oh great, so now the site is going to be overrun by fat germans?

I'm no big fan of the death penalty, but I am willing to turn a blind eye on the fate of the TV crew.

I bet archeologists years from now will wonder what ceremonial significance the Magic Roundabout had. It is the Nazcar lines of the 20th century.

Callanish, Maes Howe, the Italian church at Scapa, the Reading Room of the British Museum, Durham Cathedral, Gods Wonderful Railway (GWR), Maiden Castle

7 wonders of the world

great barrier reef ,Uluru,Bungle bungles,Fraser Island,Canarvon Gorge,The great dividing Range,Simpson Desert.I decided nature makes mans acheivements, pale to comparison.

I'd like to add the silicon chip to the list. Not every wonder of the world is big.

Elvis's pelvis
James Dean's quif
The microchip (mensioned before)
The paintings of Jan verMeer
Minimalist music (John Cage et all)
William S. Burrows
Cigarrets
Wine

Ok, thats eight but how could you leave out wine?

The 7ven wonders of Southampton;
Sir Bevois's Sword
Town Quay
The Bargate
The common
Shirly
Tudor House museum
That pisshead in town who looks like one of the monsters out of the Fraggles.

Cathedrals are amazing. Gothic ones. Gloucester, Salisbury, Durham, Chartres, York Minster, Strasbourg. No sweat.

Back