• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shark Repellent Strangeness

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I was going to post this in Urban Legends, but I only read it once, so it's not as if it's been repeated widely.

I read years ago that the best shark repellent is actually washing up liquid, does anyone know about this? Could it be true? And under what circumstances did they find out such a thing?

Theres this:-

New Shark Repellent Uses Chemical Signals.

Researchers say they have developed a shark repellent that uses apparently natural chemical signals to shift the animals from hunting mode to flight mode. If it proves to be effective and environmentally safe to use, it could soon become standard-issue for everyone who comes into contact with the marine predators—from surfers to commercial fishers.

Eric Stroud is a chemist and cofounder of the New Jersey based Oak Ridge Shark Lab. He began looking for an effective repellent during 2001, when some well-publicized incidents caused a media feeding frenzy known as the Summer of the Shark (in fact, that season recorded below-average statistics of shark-human encounters).

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... llent.html

I heard that apparently if you smooth a shark it sends it into a kind of hypnotic trance. I presume you don't try and do this in an attack! *Then you should punch them on the nose, eyes and gills as they are the most sensative parts.

*Just in case you squirt them with washing up liquid and they don't like it. ;)

Yeah, I've heard punching them on the nose is a good idea. Kind of difficult to get much force behind the punch in the water, I would have thought.

Turning them upside down will put them into a docile trance like state. Poking them in the eyes is what i'll do if one ever tries to eat me.

Since putting washing-up liquid on my shrub to deter aphids, I've not had any sharks either. Would the panel like to comment?

I have not lost a relative in the pool since Boxing Day! :gaga:

I'd use a special spear-gun. With huge explosive arrows that had cyanide tips. And it could fire like a machine gun, only underwater.

Frobush said:
I'd use a special spear-gun. With huge explosive arrows that had cyanide tips. And it could fire like a machine gun, only underwater.

And what would you do once you'd sunk to the bottom of the sea?

Well, if there was a wrecked ship, with an air pocket and some food...

gncxx said:
I was going to post this in Urban Legends, but I only read it once, so it's not as if it's been repeated widely.

I read years ago that the best shark repellent is actually washing up liquid, does anyone know about this? Could it be true? And under what circumstances did they find out such a thing?

'It's soft on hands too'
Great. something else to strap to the 'board, next to the 12 gauge...

Leaferne said:
Well, if there was a wrecked ship, with an air pocket and some food...

Yeah, and spend some time in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I always carry a towel to ward off sharks. If it teaches us nothing else, history clearly shows us that they only ever attack wet people.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Dover Sole excretes a substance that interfers with the uptake of oxygen across a shark's gills. Never understood why this chemical is not manufactured and added to board wax.

Has anyone ever seen the size of a sharks eyes? Not exactly huge targets are they! :?

Spudrick68 said:
Has anyone ever seen the size of a sharks eyes? Not exactly huge targets are they! :?

Nope. I wouldn't want to be THAT close.

By the way, there was a shark caught in the Ohio River just about a fortnight ago.

Your guess is as good as mine. The original supposition was that some local yokel brought it home from a trip to the coast and then got tired of keeping it in the basement stationary tub. But the aquarium experts say it more likely swam up the Mississippi River. (Away from the BP oil mess, perhaps?)

It could have been a Bull Shark, they can live in salt or freshwater, can alternate between the two types as and when necessary. They swim thousands of miles up the Amazon and other rivers, and the book "Jaws" was inspired by attacks inland in Jersey in 1916, which many experts credit to a Bull Shark.

I've also heard that some species of salt water sharks seek fresh water in order to sleep. But other than coming from a very knowledgeable lay naturalist whom I've long trusted I know nothing more about that particular item.

A shark in freshwater is generaly a bull shark, indeedy.

But there are several kinds of river shark, not we know much about them.

I remember reading an account of a US soldier who was attacked by a bull Shark in nicuragua...he (or his friend, cant recall which) said "100 miles from the sea and bit by a shark...No one warned me about this."

But Nicuragua is famed for its inland shark fatalities

Thanks for all the information on sharks in fresh water.

My original impression was that sharks in inland waters became sleepy, lethargic and downright docile.

I must wrap myself in a dirty sheet, carry a large hand-bell, then roam the streets intoning "Wrong! Wrong! Wrong again!"

I believe only one of the Jersey shark attacks took place inland, and the water there was brackish rather than properly fresh. The body of water in question is named Matawan on the map but was known locally as Shark Creek, and tiger sharks bred there, the fry routinely swarming around the fishing pier. No one was afraid of the sharks of Shark Creek - they were too small and too familiar with humans to be dangerous. The one who did the damage had to be a newcomer.

The author of the book that first gave me this information (library; don't recall the title or author) concluded that the shark attacks that summer were all down to great whites, but no one got a good look at any of the sharks during the attacks. The one hooked in New York with a man's leg in its stomach was a white, but the author saw no reason to assume it was responsible for all the attacks. He used the description of the shark's behavior by the boys in the creek attack (it bit off a kid's leg; thanks to prompt action by his friends his life was saved) as his basis for the great white identification, but admits that other people just as smart as him have studied the same evidence and plumped for bull or tiger sharks.

The book I actually own (Close to Shore by Michael Capuzzo, Broadway Books, 2001) treats the perp as a great white that acted alone, but it's written and marketed in such a way that one must concede the possibility that the dramatic possibilities of the narrative influenced the author's interpretation of the data.

A shark that was feeling sluggish might be more, rather than less, inclined to snap at unsuitable prey like the human leg just to get something inside it and get enough energy to get back to proper salty water. Sharks don't want to eat us, you know - we're too bony, especially the parts that are easiest to grab, the limbs. The trouble is that by the time they've tested us with their teeth and spat us out as unsuitable, they've generally done so much damage that if we don't die we're mutilated for life.

The classic Canadian radio-horror series NIGHTFALL featured a wonderfully-on- topic play around thirty years ago.

Entitled "Hands Off!" it featured a shark repellent which proved to be altogether too effective. Once applied to your skin (and it was immediately permanent) everybody absolutely loathed you - friends, sweethearts, spouses, parents, siblings, relatives, even physicians, clergy and cops.

Sharks might avoid you, but everybody else wants to kill you.

Edit - Added the missing "ago" to the end of the first line.

You can kill marine fish in an aquarium using washing up liquid, very quickly, one or more of the chemicals used in it are quite nasty to aquatic life, it might be the sharks are actually detecting that toxicity?

I seem to recall that some shark repellant contained elements of decaying shark tissue, the marauding shark would get a faceful of that and clear off sharpish. However, in the same way that lighting a fire whilst out in the middle of nowhere may attract curious animals from afar, when the cloud of anti-shark began to disperse, the tantalising whiff may actually have attracted more sharks to the location of the person in the water. Best idea - stay out of the water if you aren't top of the food chain.

LordRsmacker said:
I seem to recall that some shark repellant contained elements of decaying shark tissue, the marauding shark would get a faceful of that and clear off sharpish. However, in the same way that lighting a fire whilst out in the middle of nowhere may attract curious animals from afar, when the cloud of anti-shark began to disperse, the tantalising whiff may actually have attracted more sharks to the location of the person in the water. Best idea - stay out of the water if you aren't top of the food chain.

Lord, this reminds me of the plan devised by the Cincinnati City Council in the pre-PETA days of 50 years ago to rid the downtown skyscrapers of starlings.

They arranged for a starling to be bloodily tortured to death, with its terrible death-shrieks tape-recorded. The recording was then played at very high volume through multiple loudspeakers hung from the starling-infested buildings.

This was guaranteed to drive all starlings away.

The actual result was more starlings than had ever been seen before.

The official explanation was that the birds arrived to see if they could be of assistance to the dying bird.

But some wags suggested that the starlings could have regarded the recording as the aural equivalent of a must-see horror film.

Back