• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

shooting star or ufo

A

Anonymous

okay last night I was driving home with my boyfriend and as we were turning onto highway 9A towards my house we both happened to see something blueish green hovering in the sky kinda low to the ground. A few seconds later it shot of into space and disappeared. It actually reminded me of something out of a movie on the sci-fi channel. He thought at first it was just a plane flying really low to the ground then it shot off and assumed it was a shooting star. My step-mother who has lived out on these country roads all of her life said she has seen many things simalar to what we saw. Now I dont know what to think of it. Was it a shooting star or something else? Can anyone descibe what a shooting star actually looks like? Ive never seen one before.

Hi tcasper.

A shooting star looks just like it's name sounds. It appears as if a star is falling from the sky, toward earth.

There are websites that you can enter UFO sightings. You may want to enter the time/date/location and description on one of these websites. Or at least check the sighting database and see if anyone else in your vicinity saw the same thing.

Follow the links to report your sighting: http://www.ufoevidence.org/ReportUFOSighting.htm

Good luck.

Whidbey said:
A shooting star looks just like it's name sounds. It appears as if a star is falling from the sky, toward earth.
Not necessarily. They can travel in any direction across the sky.

During a meteor shower, when several meteors a minute might be seen, they appear to travel away from a point called the Radiant - this is a perspective effect, as the meteors in reality are travelling in parallel paths.

So if the radiant is relatively low in the sky, most meteors in a shower would appear to be moving upwards.

But
we both happened to see something blueish green hovering in the sky kinda low to the ground. A few seconds later it shot of into space and disappeared

one thing meteors (shooting stars) do NOT do is hover, even for a few seconds!

If you can't identify it then it's a UFO!!! May not be an alien spaceship but it's definatley an unidentified flying object.

does anyone know how to find out if the local air force base caught this on radar? I know that back in 1980's tinker airforce base caught something on radar in almost the exact location of where I was when I saw this object. My parents work at the airforce base but they wouldnt have access to this kind of information. And yeah I guess it would be a ufo but whether or not its alien related is still a mystery. Just wish I could know for sure.

I had a similar experience once when I was gazing out of the back seat of a car at the night sky when I saw what looked like a coloured light following us suddenly shoot off into the night. It was only when I near-focused that I realised I had seen the reflection of a light from the opposite side of the road in the mirror and, in focusing at a distance, had mentally placed it in the same plane as the distant stars until the road pealed off to the left. Easily done. When you're intently concentrating like this it's so easy to put near objects into a distant context. Not that I'm saying this is what happened with you but it sounds very similar.

Mike Paterson

Clarify a few facts for me:

When you say "a few seconds later", is this figurative or literal? Think back. Could you have counted 1-thousand one, 1-thousand two, 1-thousand three, et al. before it disappeared? Or would it have been closer to 1-thousand one ZIP!

When it "shot into space", which direction did it shoot off into? How far did it go before it disappeared? How long did it take to go this distance (counting 1-thousand one)?

Not trying to discredit or debunk you here. Just curious about some specifics.

Personally, I think you saw the reflection of a street lamp, which would explain the bluish-green.

i once saw the most SPECTACULAR meteor during the Leonids a few years ago. It was bright green and appeared behind us as a thick vapor, when it got nearly straight over head, it exploded in a yellow burst, with a smaller bright white chunk flaking off in the same direction, that got smaller until it was about 30 degrees above the horizon. the green vapor hung in the sky for about 60 seconds before disapating.

could this have been what you saw? only aproaching it from the 'front' so it appeared to go 'up'?

i once saw a bright multicolored 'sparkle' in the sky, almost like fireworks, that fizzled into red one night after a marching band trip while unloading the instruments back at school. one other person saw it too... there's a possibility that it was fireworks, but there was no one around but us band geeks and we would have heard someone shoot off a rocket

I've seen two lights that seemed to shoot away very quickly - I've heard an explanation that a star (or plane or something!) going behind a cloud can cause that effect... but I think I could tell the difference. So many people see things like this I think there must be some kind atmospheric affect to account for the bulk of them.
Hope to see some more so I can check!

i can remember one night when i was around 9 or 10,being in my bed,
looking out of the only window.there was a fence then a woodland path.
then about three more high fences,and then after that was the m.o.d.land,
this night i looked out of the window from bed,for some reason or other,
when i saw an object blue/white,in colour.rise up from the area around the m.o.d,it moved in a very strange way,like it couldnt stay still,left right up down,you know what i mean,it got to about 100 ft in the air,then vanished.

i think it must have been some sort of army craft,
but then again.

Back