• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Maybe @Zeke Newbold can give us a translation for the Russian which starts at about 8.10. I think @Krepostnoi also knows Russian.
There's not much coherence to it, although there is quite a bit of obscenity, which I have spoilered below. The initial exchange at around 8.15 is, as far as I can make out, some kind of pastiche of radio presenters wishing each other good morning, although in Ukrainian rather than Russian - dobrogo ranko. There's the use of Malorussi, which is a dismissive word for Ukrainians - kind of "Lesser Russians" - and a Russian word which translates directly as "pederast", although it has a much stronger impact in Russian. There is then a repetition of "Moskva, Putin, Patrioty," interspersed with khyi sosat'", which is "Moscow, Putin, Patriots" and "suck my dick", respectively. Word salad, basically.

There's not much coherence to it, although there is quite a bit of obscenity, which I have spoilered below. The initial exchange at around 8.15 is, as far as I can make out, some kind of pastiche of radio presenters wishing each other good morning, although in Ukrainian rather than Russian - dobrogo ranko. There's the use of Malorussi, which is a dismissive word for Ukrainians - kind of "Lesser Russians" - and a Russian word which translates directly as "pederast", although it has a much stronger impact in Russian. There is then a repetition of "Moskva, Putin, Patrioty," interspersed with khyi sosat'", which is "Moscow, Putin, Patriots" and "suck my dick", respectively. Word salad, basically.
So it seems to be denigrating both Russians & Ukrainians - odd..

So it seems to be denigrating both Russians & Ukrainians - odd..

When learning a language, the real spoken language as practsed by real people - with all their sloppiness and colloquialisms - and without context or lips to read is the hardest thing of all to catch. I picked up some of what Krepestnoi mentioned but otherwise couldn't make much sense of it.

It's worth pointing out that Russian is by no means only spoken by Russians. It is widely spoken in Moldova and the Baltic countries and even more so in many Central Asian countries such as Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan and other places. Something denigrating both Russians and Ukranians would fit well the attitude of many people from these latter parts (although I don't know the technicalities enough so as to know whether a broadcast from these regions could be mistaken for something being broasdcast from Russia).

I thought Ukraine was once called Little Russia but the term fell out of use and is now considered offensive.

Doubtless expressing similar sentiments to those scrawled on the skirts of this Russian T-80BVM captured by Ukrainian troops:

IMG_1469.jpeg

(1/35 scale model of the real thing)

The saucy Ukrainian has incorporated the Russians’ “Z” identifier into a phrase which, l believe, translates to an unflattering gynaecological reference to the much-beloved President of Russia. (“Putin tebe pizda”)

maximus otter

Shortwave was a wonderful medium for the strange and the weird but it's lowly dying a death, but they are yet to find anything as good as number stations the codes are unbreakable (although I guess one of those new fangled quantum computers would give it go)

Back