• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sky Kingdom- The 'Teapot Cult'

TheQuixote

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
ReligionNewsBlog has a number of stored articles on this sect, the BBC link is worth clicking to see a picture of the said teapot sculpture.

Malaysia 'teapot cult' attacked

Arsonists have attacked the base of a small inter-faith sect in Malaysia called the Sky Kingdom.

The sect is noted for building a giant teapot to symbolise its belief in the healing purity of water, and is accused of luring Muslims away from Islam.

A lawyer for the sect, Haris Mohamad Ibrahim, said that about 30 armed men dressed in Arab robes had attacked the commune with Molotov cocktails.

No-one was injured in the attack, which caused a small fire.

"The roof of the teapot structure is... slightly charred, but since it is made of concrete, the damage is not extensive," firefighter Ahmad Fakarudin told Reuters news agency.

Police raid

The sect - based in the strongly Muslim state of Terengganu - claims to promote harmony between religious groups.

Its leader, Ayah Pin, says he is the saviour of the world.
He has attracted believers from many different religious groups with his message of love and tolerance. He claims to allow his followers to be members of any faith, including Islam.

Earlier this month, the group was raided by police, and 21 followers were arrested for possessing documents contrary to Islam. They were all freed on bail pending a court appearance in September.

Members have been jailed in the past for attempting to renounce Islam, and the group's bizarre constructions have been deemed to be against local regulations.

The group's controversial structures are said to combine architectural elements from Islam, Christianity, Hinduism and Buddhism.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 692039.stm
Published: 2005/07/18 06:52:14 GMT

© BBC MMV

and their daily mantra:-

I'm a little teapot, short and stout
Here's my handle, here's my spout.
When the kettle's boiling, hear me shout.
Tip me up and pour me out

:D

It's sad really: from that evidence they don't look like a creepy cult, so why have flames chucked at them for promoting interfaith tolerance, etc?

Oh dear not another one.

Religion, whats its all about?! :?

Sut said:

Oh dear not another one.

Religion, whats its all about?! :?

It's about power over other people.

Maybe, but that is the best symbolic giant teapot I've ever seen! Kudos to the teapot guy!

Another 'tea' cult:
US court backs hallucinogenic tea

A small US congregation can use hallucinogenic tea as part of its rituals to connect with God, the Supreme Court has ruled.
The unanimous decision is court's first religious freedom case since Chief Justice John Roberts was appointed.

The hoasca tea is considered sacred to members of the group, O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal.

In its ruling, the court said the government must allow the use of the tea under religious freedom laws.

Mr Roberts wrote that federal drug agents should have been barred from confiscating the tea.

However, the justices sent the case back to a federal appeals court, which could consider more evidence.

Controlled substance

The administration of President George W Bush had argued that the tea was illegal and potentially dangerous.

Members of the group believe they can understand God only by drinking the tea, which is consumed twice a month at four-hour ceremonies.

The brewed tea, made from two plants that grow in the Amazon, contains dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, a controlled substance banned under federal drug laws.

About 130 members of a Brazil-based church were involved in long-running dispute with federal agents, who seized their tea in 1999.

Mr Roberts, is a conservative, was appointed to the court last year.

Since he replaced another conservative, William Rehnquist, that change was not thought likely to affect the court's balance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4737994.stm

Members of the group believe they can understand God only by drinking the tea
That sounds like a quote from a Douglas Adams novel. I wonder if they have biscuits with it?

If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~Japanese Proverb

Bread and water can so easily be toast and tea. ~Author Unknown

And the rest of it...

TEAPOT WORSHIP

A malaysian court jailed a female follower of a bizarre cult, centred on the worship of a giant teapot, 3rd March 2008. Her crime was apostasy (this is a muslim country, muslims not being allowed to embrace any other faith) The 57year old former teacher and mother of 4 has been sentenced to 2 years in jail. She was arrested in 2005 along with 57 other members of the cult. The outlawed sect, headed by a man who says he is God and owns everything, believes the teapot has healing properties!
This was printed in my local newspaper in dubai..www.7days.ae/news
I swear this is true, you couldnt make it up!

I've said it before, the gospels make a lot more sense if you replace "wine" with "tea", and "bread" with "toast".

Malaysian 'teapot cult' woman loses Islam legal bid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14199815

Kamariah Ali has already been tried for apostasy in the Islamic courts

Related Stories

Malaysia establishes Vatican ties
Malaysia child marriage 'illegal'
Malaysia welcome for women judges

Malaysia's civil court has refused a woman permission to leave Islam to avoid being jailed for apostasy.

Kamariah Ali, 60, says she should not be tried under Islamic law because she is no longer a Muslim.

She follows the Sky Kingdom sect, known as the teapot cult because it built a giant teapot to symbolise its belief in the healing purity of water.

But judges ruled that only Malaysia's Islamic courts could decide on the case because Ms Kamariah was born a Muslim.

Malaysia has two different judicial systems - one for Muslims and the other for non-Muslims.

The BBC's Jennifer Pak in Kuala Lumpur says Ms Kamariah's case is one of a growing number of legal challenges brought by those caught between the two systems.

Ms Kamariah had asked the civil courts to declare her freedom to worship, as guaranteed by the constitution.

But the judging panel said she had to go through the Islamic courts system in order to renounce her faith - something that is rarely granted, our correspondent says.

The group's buildings were attacked in 2005, but the teapot survived
The dual-track system has created problems for people who want to convert to another religion from Islam, or in child-custody battles involving Muslims and non-Muslims.

The most high-profile case involved a Muslim father who secretly converted his children to Islam. He gained custody through the Islamic courts while the mother, a Hindu, was granted guardianship under civil law.

The Sky Kingdom sect, based in the strongly Muslim state of Terengganu, is regarded as heretical by the Islamic authorities.

It claims to promote harmony between religious groups, and its leader Ayah Pin believes he is the saviour of the world.

In 2005 many of its members - including Ms Kamariah - were prosecuted by the Islamic authorities. Ayah Pin is believed to have fled to Thailand.

But judges ruled that only Malaysia's Islamic courts could decide on the case because Ms Kamariah was born a Muslim.

Can anyone be 'born' a muslim, catholic or whatever? Crazy way of thinking, you shouldn't be allowed to practice any religion until you're 25.

It seems that most people are born into a religion.
Most of those don't question it, so they accept it all without any critical thinking.
Hence the religion continues to exist.

Back