• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sledge Hammer

MrSnowman

Abominable Snowman
Not quite Fortean maybe, but hopefully some of you will have fond memories of Sledge Hammer of early 90s post-midnight ITV fame. It would appear that all the episodes are available on emule/shareaza to download! Huzzah! Just thought I'd let you know :)

:yeay:! I love Sledge Hammer - just wish you could get it on DVD rather than having to d/l it...

I'm a big fan of Sledge - my buddy who runs the Sledgehammer Arsenal has told me that there may be plans to release everything on DVD at some point. Apparently the people who now own the rights to the series can't believe how much of a following it has. I think Sledge himself would refer to such people as a 'miserable can of tuna' and grit his teeth :D

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. :D

I loved that prog. lol It was always on about 1am or something ridiculous though! :rolleyes:

Class final episode as well, though I won't spoil it.

Classic Sledge quote:

Reporter: We're here at the scene of a liquor store robbery that was thwarted by the man beside me, Inspector Sledge Hammer. Inspector Hammer, tell us what happened.
Hammer: Well, Miss, I was in this store when two thugs entered and threatened the owner with shotguns. At that time, I drew my Magnum and killed them both. Then I bought some eggs, and some milk, and some of those little cocktail weanies.
Reporter: Inspector Hammer, was what you did in that store absolutely necessary?
Hammer: Oh, yes, I had no groceries at all.

I do seem to remember both series' being auctioned on ebay about a year or two ago. As I recall, the company who had the rights to the programme were going to release the whole lot on video and DVD. As I understood it at the time, the company had gone bust, or a backer had pulled out.. something... needless to say, the release never happened, and they auctioned off the master copies!! Last time I checked, the bidding was at about £800 for the whole lot, but never checked what the winning bid was.

It'd be a shame if those WERE the master copies, and it seems unlikely to me that they were.. but who knows??:confused:

They actually weren't master copies, but promotional copies - two sets have been sold on Ebay, IIRC. I put in a bid for the second sale, then realised that I couldn't watch them on a UK VCR. The set included every episode, including the orginal version of the pilot episode (see the Sledgehammer Arsenal for info about how this differed from later versions of the pilot).

My god, I'd almost forgotten all about that prog! What was the actor's name? David Rache or something, and everytime he pops up in another TV show or Fillum I remember this show.

Is it just the Morrison's Tinto spaking here, or was Adam Ant in an episode???

It's David Rasche - he's been in quite alot of stuff. And yes, Adam Ant was indeed in one episode.

I loved it.

If you go to the official site you can follow a link to sign a petition to get Season 1 out on DVD.

Cujo

I can't think of the female lead in the series' name, but isn't she married to Michael Criteon? I seem to recall she was in a lame yet hilarious 70's sci-fi flick called "The Shape Of Things To Come"....

Nothing to say but fantastic post-pub viewing. :cool:

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
I can't think of the female lead in the series' name, but isn't she married to Michael Criteon? I seem to recall she was in a lame yet hilarious 70's sci-fi flick called "The Shape Of Things To Come"....
Anne-Marie Martin - and yes, she is married to Michael Crichton. IIRC she writes nowadays (she co-scripted "Twister").

i stil say it!.." trust me i know what im doing" to which the wifes reply is "you told me never to trust you when you said that"

Wow! Sledge Hammer, that was so good.

'twas ealier than 90s though, I remember watching it in a dingy bedsit right after I left home in 86, usually in the run up to a night of Music Box (think Marc Almond-Ruby Red, Alice Cooper-Man Behind The Mask, Psychic TV-Good Vibrations and if you were really lucky maybe New Model Army-51st State).

Around the same time as Tales From The Darkside, Night Gallery and the occasional 11pm-ish repeat of The New Avengers.

I loved that episode where he gets called out to defuse a time bomb only to discover that it's in a clock shop!

And the bit where there's the bank robbery and the police arrive seconds after the alarm button is pressed:
Someone "How did they get here so fast"
Sledge "There's a do-nut shop just around the corner"

I never saw all of them but according to my friend, the first season ended with Sledge being blown up by a nuke in a jacuzzi, so the second season was set earlier.

Back