• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sleep Strangeness

dream dictator?

is there anybody else in here that can control their dreams like when they wake etc, often when im having a nightmare (quite regularly) iwill be able to ''step back'' from the dream and physcaly open my eyes and wake myself! :shock:
for example, i recently dreamt i was being shot in the head. i almost felt it, like somebdy smacking me round the head, and its like, in my dream i kno i have the option to wake myself whenever i choose so id force my eyes to open knowing id be awake in my safe surroundings!
if after a minute or two i felt prepared i will fall back to sleep in the same dream and completly turn it round to my advantge! :?

i dont konw anyone else who can do this or even understand what im talking about!

i hope it makes sense 2 some1 on here? :?:

I think I understand what you mean devil_girl though I've never known anyone else to have your ability. I think it's an amazing skill - wish I had it myself.

I can do this to some extent, but I've always had occassional lucid dreams...long before I every found out that they had a name.

I can bring myself out of dreams, but only if I realise I'm dreaming... which I find to be much more difficult to achieve. I have had one or two lucid dreams where i could change the dream "reality", e.g a locked door that i didn't have the key to, so i just made the door dissolve.. but this is really rare for me.

Yes, I can do that - I've written about it somewhere before, - however only with the less ' deep sleep ' dreams I get when I doze in the afternoon, I'll think * I'll dream such-and-such * - probably why I like having afternoon naps! :D

I have experienced a few lucid dreams where I could make things happen just by thinking about it. However, they never lasted long and I woke up after just a few moments. Usually they seemed to occur in the morning, close to my normal wake-up time.

At the moment I forget most of my dreams. But in the times when I recorded a dream-diary I could remember almost all my dreams. It takes practice to rememeber them. It was during this time also that I had the (few) lucid dreams. Writing down your dreams probably stimulates this kind of thing.

Re: dream dictator?

devil_girl1 said:
is there anybody else in here that can control their dreams like when they wake etc, often when im having a nightmare (quite regularly) iwill be able to ''step back'' from the dream and physcaly open my eyes and wake myself! :?:

I do this regularly, particularly if a dream becomes nightmarish.
I've been able to lucid dream for most of my adult life, and so taking control of nightmares became relatively easy to do. I just tell myself, "wake up, wake up, wake up". I always wake.
I've been able to direct some dreams, and bizarrely, I learned this trick from watching one of the, "A Nightmare on Elm Street" movies. There was one piece where one of the characters told himelf he wasn't dreaming by touching the lawn outside his home, with his feet. I used this technique, and for some reason it worked.
I also recall, as a twelve year old, dreaming I was in a department store, and finding all these amazing, give away cosmetics. I said to myself, "I'll hold onto this (eyeshadow) and when I wake up, I'll still have it."
Imagine my disappointment when, upon waking, I opened my hand to nothing.

Re: dream dictator?

I also recall, as a twelve year old, dreaming I was in a department store, and finding all these amazing, give away cosmetics. I said to myself, "I'll hold onto this (eyeshadow) and when I wake up, I'll still have it."
Imagine my disappointment when, upon waking, I opened my hand to nothing.

Reading this I really hoped you were going to say "I opened my hand and there it was!" Ah well, if wishes were horses... I'd dream of shoes ;)

is there anybody else in here that can control their dreams like when they wake etc, often when im having a nightmare (quite regularly) iwill be able to ''step back'' from the dream and physcaly open my eyes and wake myself!

Yeah I can do this as well, although I rarely have nightmares and in fact very rarely remember my dreams. I was talking to a friend about dreams the other day and I was very surprised when she told me that she remembers dreams in detail and often takes half an hour or more on waking to convince herself that nightmares, in particular, were not real.

I can control my dreams, I remember once, after watching Dawn of The Dead that I was surrounded by zombies, then I made a gun appear in my hands and want completley gonzo and started slaughtering them. Two reccuring dreams I haven't been able to change, one is where I'm flying in a Spitfire over a beach and I get shot down by Flak, taking a direct hit on the nose. The other one I'm slashing at myself with a kitchen knife.

Had a strange thing happen early hours of this morning. I must of sat up in bed still asleep, then woke up, I was sat up counting my fingers. I remeber thinking that it was weird that I didn't have 6 fingers!

I have alot of experiences with waking up being sat up or standing up where my dream reality/surrondings mixes in with my waking reality it takes me a few mintues to realise whats happening.
Anyone else have stuff like this happen to them?

SpaceOddity said:
Anyone else have stuff like this happen to them?

Probably every single time i wake up. I get very disoriented when I wake up in the middle of the night. The other night I woke up in a panic, flinging pillows everywhere, looking for the spider I'd been dreaming was running over the bed.

Other times I wake up sitting up with the light on, staring at my bedside table trying to work out what I'm looking at, completely unable to recognise everyday objects like books and telephones.

Once I was having a dream that I was reading a book (what a wild and crazy place my imagination must be eh?) and I woke up holding an open book in my hands, and the words I'd been reading in my dream were the same ones in real life. I can only assume I'd fallen asleep reading and had somehow been asleep with my eyes open, taking in the book.

I also have frequent episodes of sleep paralysis, hypnopompic and hypnogogic hallucinations, but I'll save that for another day...

I enjoy the feeling of the blur between dreaming and waking, espcially when you can see people, landscapes and other rooms staring to melt into your own room.

Don't know what that business was with counting my fingers.

wow, sleeping must be an adventure for you every night mindalai!

I also get the disorientation thing if I am woken up in the middle of the night, don't recognise people, surroundings etc. can be very disturbing when it lasts for more than a couple of seconds.

I was in an accident a long time ago that left me with a fear of heights which resurfaced a year or so ago... I would wake up in the night, and think that he house was falling down (our bedroom was on the second storey).. I actually remember seeming to feel the room swaying around me. I would yell and try to run out of the house. Once I got all the way down the stairs to the front door and was trying to get the door open before my partner caught up with me. This happened a few times and then stopped. Weird.

(I may have posted this experience somewhere else... )

I used to have a recurring dream when I was young of an amusement park at the end of a long pier or something. That gave way to recurring dreams of driving on a rickety dock or pier (I wasn't the one driving; I was always a passenger.) My most recent recurring dreams are of a bookstore that I really wish existed because it's pretty big and has a HUGE sci-fi/fantasy section in its basement. In the dream, I'm always looking for a specific book but never have any luck. However, in the waking world, there was a certain book I'd been looking for for over a year and I finally found it earlier this year so I've stopped having this dream although the dream has been around longer than the search. I miss it because I loved the store. I also used to dream of a few book stores and/or comic stores in my old neighborhood that never existed. Can you tell books play a big part in my life? :p

I used to have a recurring dream when I was young of an amusement park at the end of a long pier or something. That gave way to recurring dreams of driving on a rickety dock or pier (I wasn't the one driving; I was always a passenger.) My most recent recurring dreams are of a bookstore that I really wish existed because it's pretty big and has a HUGE sci-fi/fantasy section in its basement. In the dream, I'm always looking for a specific book but never have any luck. However, in the waking world, there was a certain book I'd been looking for for over a year and I finally found it earlier this year so I've stopped having this dream although the dream has been around longer than the search. I miss it because I loved the store. I also used to dream of a few book stores and/or comic stores in my old neighborhood that never existed. Can you tell books play a big part in my life? :p

tygerkat said:

Are you a fan of the Sandman tygerkat?

Your huge bookstore reminds me of Lucien's library...

Not yet, Mossy_sloth, but i have a friend who is and i'm sure i can borrow his collection. he's recommended it to me more than once and now that you mention Lucien's library, I'm really tempted.

tygerkat said:
My most recent recurring dreams are of a bookstore that I really wish existed because it's pretty big and has a HUGE sci-fi/fantasy section in its basement.

Cripes - I've been there! :shock:

Seriously, I have recurring dreams of the exact same thing. It's a funky old bookstore, but it's huge - the size of a library. And downstairs is the comic book/graphic novel section filled with every cool book ever made, and quite a few that never were.

For example, I was browsing around in the dream book store and found a book of illustrated Zen poetry by Bill Waterson. It was amazing - no Calvin & Hobbes, but really funny and detailed artwork like Chinese silk paintings done in Watersons style. Also, I found a cool, straightforward sci-fi graphic novel by Robert Crumb, done in an golden-age 50's style, but with Crumb's obsessive cross-hatching and visual style.

I've even thought of writing these artists and suggesting these projects to them!

Anyway, I've been to this bookstore so many times in my dreams that any time I'm dreaming I'm in a city, I always start looking for it. Sometimes it's by a river or a marina, but it's often squeezed in between 2 huge hotels, for some reason. :?

Next time I'm there, I'll buy you a latte if I see you. ;)

Now back to the thread.

Krobone, I'll keep my eye out for you. At least we know it's in Michigan.

Krobone, I'll keep my eye out for you. At least we know it's in Michigan.

krobone said:
tygerkat said:
My most recent recurring dreams are of a bookstore that I really wish existed because it's pretty big and has a HUGE sci-fi/fantasy section in its basement.

Cripes - I've been there! :shock:

Seriously, I have recurring dreams of the exact same thing. It's a funky old bookstore, but it's huge - the size of a library. And downstairs is the comic book/graphic novel section filled with every cool book ever made, and quite a few that never were.

For example, I was browsing around in the dream book store and found a book of illustrated Zen poetry by Bill Waterson. It was amazing - no Calvin & Hobbes, but really funny and detailed artwork like Chinese silk paintings done in Watersons style. Also, I found a cool, straightforward sci-fi graphic novel by Robert Crumb, done in an golden-age 50's style, but with Crumb's obsessive cross-hatching and visual style.

I've even thought of writing these artists and suggesting these projects to them!

Anyway, I've been to this bookstore so many times in my dreams that any time I'm dreaming I'm in a city, I always start looking for it. Sometimes it's by a river or a marina, but it's often squeezed in between 2 huge hotels, for some reason. :?

Next time I'm there, I'll buy you a latte if I see you. ;)

Now back to the thread.
This is - bizarre. I've been having virtually the same dream on and off for the past five or six years. In my dream, the place is huge, and contains virtually every book on every subject you could possibly imagine.

In my dream I inquire of the staff if they have obscure titles I've been looking for forever - and they instantly produce the book(s). Downstairs(!) is the Graphic Novel section, containing original comic pages, and basically every comic book ever printed, all for sale, and for a pittance. The only difference is that in my dream, the upstairs is somewhat dimly lit, and I have to keep flicking on the occasional lamp in order to clearly read the titles of the books lining the shelves.

Very strange...

Ok, IgnatiusII, TELL me you don't live in Michigan, too! 'Cause if you do, this would be just too weird. Maybe (if you do) it's a real store somewhere here in the state that we've all 3 been to and just forgot except we return to it in our dreams. In mine, there are a lot of sections in the basement and it's brightly lit; I only know it's the basement because of the wide staircase I go down to get to the basement. There are other sections down there besides the sci-fi section but that's the biggest and the only section I go to because that's what I like to read.
On a slightly related note, I found a book today in the local used book shop that I've been looking for on and off for my husband over the last several years. I HAVE found it previously, on eBay, but at a price I can't afford. When I found it today, at only 2 dollars, it was all I could do not to rush up to the counter and say "Do you know how much this goes for on eBay?!" I restrained myself, admirably, I think. Now I probably won't go back to that store in my dreams any more since I've found the two books I've been looking for the most. I'll miss it. :(

I lived very briefly in Michigan back when I was a kid, but as I would have been six or seven at the time, I doubt that I would have been exposed to a bookstore like the one described. I don't know. This is very strange. Perhaps great minds think alike. :D

Jeez - just tell me you guys also don't have recurring dreams about a huge amusement park either, with a Haunted House attraction that's a half-submerged steamboat... :shock:

Seriously, that's bizarre! Wonder why all the cool stuff is always in the basement?

krobone said:
Wonder why all the cool stuff is always in the basement?
Because it reflects what's in your subconscious mind...?

The brain seems fond of little puns and parables to get messages across.

rynner said:
The brain seems fond of little puns and parables to get messages across.

I thought it was just my brain that did that!

I often wake up giggling because my unconscious mind has put some clever little pun into one of my dreams. Unfortunately I can't think of an example right now but my unconscious mind must have quicker wits than my conscious mind because I'm rubbish at puns in real life.

Krobone, when I was very young, pre-teen, I think, I DID dream about an amusement park at the end of a rickety pier or boardwalk-type thing but I only remember that part of the dream, not what was actually in the park. Considering it was a good 30 years ago, I'm surprised I remember that much! :p
I completely forgot to mention my current recurring dreams about an amusement park! I can't believe I forgot. About 2 1/2 hours from here there's a HUGE amusement park called Cedar Point. For the last 5 years my husband and I have gone at least twice a summer; this year we managed thrice. Anyway, I dream about how I'm scared to ride some of the rides or I dream about waiting in line and other miscellany but nothing more specific. In fact, since I've now ridden all of the coasters, having finally gotten over my fear of Millenium Force and Top Thrill Dragster (2 of the biggest coasters in the country!) I'll probably stop having the fear of riding dreams. Wonder what will take their place. :?:

tygerkat said:
Krobone, when I was very young, pre-teen, I think, I DID dream about an amusement park at the end of a rickety pier or boardwalk-type thing but I only remember that part of the dream, not what was actually in the park. Considering it was a good 30 years ago, I'm surprised I remember that much! :p
I completely forgot to mention my current recurring dreams about an amusement park! I can't believe I forgot. About 2 1/2 hours from here there's a HUGE amusement park called Cedar Point. For the last 5 years my husband and I have gone at least twice a summer; this year we managed thrice. Anyway, I dream about how I'm scared to ride some of the rides or I dream about waiting in line and other miscellany but nothing more specific. In fact, since I've now ridden all of the coasters, having finally gotten over my fear of Millenium Force and Top Thrill Dragster (2 of the biggest coasters in the country!) I'll probably stop having the fear of riding dreams. Wonder what will take their place. :?:

Ok, not to freak you out, but that's where my 'dream' amusement park is - along a boardwalk. :shock:

Actually, that's not too terribly surprising. Lots of amusement parks are on piers or board walks, or at least a river or lake. And my amusement park is really a mish-mash of all the parks I've been to, including Disney. The submerged spookhouse is a puzzler, though. Never seen any 'haunted house' that was a partially sunken old-time steamboat. It's damn scary, tho - real ghosts! :eek!!!!:

Also, Cedar Point - haven't been there in years, used to have all the good coasters. Fun place!

Back