• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Slipping Through Dimensions

The idea of parallel/discrete universes/realities has been around for much longer than the Matrix! :lol:

It had found its way into science fiction decades before. Michael Moorcock (to name just one, admittedly more of a fantasy writer which shows how far the idea had travelled) based whole parallel/discrete series of books on it. ;)

Bob Rickard's book 'Phenomena' (1977) suggests that anomalous animals may slip in and out of 'our' 'continuum'. I forget the exact wording, I read it a long time ago.

No you are wrong.......

3 engineers were discussing who / what created the human body.

The first engineer said... look at all those joints and the structure of the skeleton ......god was definitely a mechanical engineer

The second engineer said "aaah but think about neurons synapses and the central nervous system that brings the body to life - God was definitely an electrical engineer"

The third said "no your both wrong God was a civil engineer - who else would run a toxic waste pipe through a recreational area??"

Better than the bible.....(and shorter too)

J

Wastrel~ said:
It’s akin to the sense of having dreamt of a routine daily occurrence and then carrying that out on waking, like the drive to work.
God I used to hate that happening... I don't get it any more, but when I used to work early mornings I would sometimes wake with my alarm then fall back into a doze. I would vividly dream I had got up, had a shower and dragged my work clothes on- then I would wake up, having to do every damn thing again. It used to put me in a sour mood for some of the morning!
Plus when I had just started as a council groundskeeper, I used to maintain school grounds with a big petrol brushcutter. The first week of this job, I would get home, exhausted, and my dreams would consist of using the brushcutter. Even if I was not dreaming of it initially, somebody would hove into view in the background, strimming. I woke exhausted for days, feeling like I had been at work all night- I believe I actually came to tears at one point!
Sorry, I know that was a bit off topic but it just made me remember all of a sudden.

as someone who's interested in quantum physics may tell you, this might not be far from the truth. do a google search for "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot..

Or read, if you can find a copy, "Report on Probability A" by Aldiss. (Yes, it's an oldie, but it's a funny look at the concept.)

It's funny--just the other day, I was thinking about different ghost stories and posts from this thread (Slipping Through Dimensions), when a major revelation hit me.

Although I'm certainly not a physics expert, I've read about the "multiverses" quantum mechanics talks about, and I thought, what if "ghosts" are actually still alive, just in another dimension, so close to us they our dimensions are sometimes overlapping? When they "appear" to us, we might look like ghosts to THEM as well.

This idea was actually supported by one of the ghost stories I read here (forget where) about the guy waking up one night in his bedroom, seeing a ghostly Wild West bar scene with Cowboy types on bar stools who -- judging by their facial expression -- were as terrified to see him as he was to see them.

I also thought that would explain the existence of "dark entities" and "angels," "spirit guides," even gods and goddesses of the pagans. They're all actually living beings from other dimensions who can be called upon by the power of our mind (the dark spirits through Ouija boards and seances, the light ones by praying and asking for help). So maybe their dimensions are so close to ours that an overlap is easy to manage.

Funny thing is (oh blessed synchronicities) that only two days after I had that "revelation," I found this website http://www.newenglandghosts.com/what are ghosts.htm with an interview of paranormal investigator Paul Eno who says EXACTLY the same thing!!! Honest, I've never heard a theory like that before!

So, what do you think?

It would certainly answer the question of why we see ghosts wearing clothes. If we are seeing spirits of the dearly departed, wouldn't they appear in the 'altogether'? I asked this once in a post. Ghost tailors? But if we are glimpsing other dimensional entities, it makes sense they're wearing some togs. Although people almost always report ghosts wearing antique fashions, and never anything futuristic.

Paul Eno says he believes that each of us exists in numerous parallel universes. Some of these lives may be completely different from this one, some might only be a little bit off. That would also explain the dimension slips where someone wakes up in the morning and finds that his toothbrush has "changed" color, but everyone else says it was always this color. He has probably "stepped sideways" into a dimension very close to this one. (The meaning of "this" kinda loses relevance in a scenario like that, doesn't it? :shock: )

In the same way, Eno suggests, so-called past lives may not be in the past at all but in a different dimension. Past, present, future -- all occurring simultaneously. So glimpses of "past lives" we have may just be different lives in a different "century."

BTW, I've heard of past-life regressions and such where people started to describe future lives, so it's not as unusual as you might think.

There are lots of stories about apparitions of living people. My mother once saw her sisters' ghost when she was young. They lived in Germany during WWII and my aunt was working the night shift in an arms factory. My mom was home in bed. In the middle of the night she suddenly woke up, seeing my aunt standing by the window, looking out. She spoke to her, no reaction. Then she noticed that the (slightly pale-looking) figure had no feet!

She screamed and hopped back into bed and pulled the covers over her head. The next morning it turned out that the arms factory was being bombed just around the time my mom had seen the "ghost" and my aunt was very frightened at that time. Strong emotional reactions causing an OBE?

faith2faith said:
I thought, what if 'ghosts' are actually still alive, just in another dimension, so close to us they our dimensions are sometimes overlapping? When they 'appear' to us, we might look like ghosts to THEM as well.

This is one of the standard explanations for "Shadow People" and it may explain many of them. I've suggested for some time that "we may be the Shadow Peoples' Shadow People."

But by no means all. There have been Shadow People reports in which the "shades" seem to be deceased family members or friends and don't show up until after they die.

Might it be that as time and space and energy and even gravity are one, so is what we call the "hereafter"? In fact, might not the "hereafter" just as well be called the "herebefore" or the "herealongside"?

Note that human survival (at the very least) seems to be coming more and more under the purview of quantum physics.

Prof_Pretorius said:
[P]eople almost always report ghosts wearing antique fashions, and never anything futuristic.

Ah, might the "futuristic" ghosts be called UFOnauts?

Prof_Pretorius said:
It would certainly answer the question of why we see ghosts wearing clothes. If we are seeing spirits of the dearly departed, wouldn't they appear in the 'altogether'?

I would suggest that ghosts seem to come in two main flavors - the "hallucinated" ghost, which appears in crystal sharp detail, and also the more traditional "smokey" or "foggy" ghost. (PLEASE note that I use "hallucination" here in its traditional 19th Century sense of "mental construct," NOT in its limited modern sense of "delusion.")

Both are paranormal experiences. But in the first the spirit of the dead person makes a psychic contact with the living witness (perhaps at the point of death) and the witness' brain supplies the physical image, complete down to facial imperfections and the stitching on the clothing.

But the second type, the humanoid-shaped "fog," seems to actually be the spirit. If the spirit is truly some form of peripatetic electro-magnetic field, the "smoke" may be the result of ambient moisture being drawn towards it. (Thus the association of ghosts with rain, rivers and lakes, seashores, damp and clammy buildings, humid evenings and so on.)

The second type would not appear clothed, although its whispy nature might suggest clothing (or even sheeting) to some observers.

Re: re:faith2faith

jonnygoodtimes said:
I've imagined that sometimes, ghosts are people having dreams.

A letter appeared in the "Report from the Readers" section of FATE Magazine many years ago, around 1953, which seems to resonate here.

The writer claimed that when he'd been about 12 he'd gazed out his bedroom window one night to see an elderly neighbor lady FLOAT out her bedroom window. She seemed to be trailing the traditional "silver cord" or line.

That silver cord parted or disappeared, according to the witness, at which time the woman's floating "body" exploded.

The next morning the boy's family informed him that their neighbor had died during the night.

I'm probably mentioning the obvious, but the SF writer Roger Zelazny wrote a series of books along this theme, and they were cracking good stories!!!
(The Amber series, in which there is the 'real world' Amber, and earth is a shadow world, among many others.)

Possibly start a thread on it in Fortean Culture?

Your starter for ten:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber

---------
OldTimeRadio said:
Prof_Pretorius said:
[P]eople almost always report ghosts wearing antique fashions, and never anything futuristic.

Ah, might the "futuristic" ghosts be called UFOnauts?

They are a little to substantial for that.

It is an interesting point though - if they are from parallel universes we would expect to see a lot of futuristic or just plain bizarre fashions. I you see someone from the seventeenth century and they can see you then it'd hardly be given as a UFO report - for some reason they future never seems to deliver the futuristic things we think it will (shiny silver suits and jet packs for all) ;)

But there ARE "solid" ghosts as well as "solid" UFOnauts.

And whispy, semi-transparent, see-through UFOnauts have been reported as well.

Even so, there DO seem to be a lot more resonances between UFOnauts and fairy lore than with ghosts.

P. S. While jet-packs don't turn up much in UFO reports (if at all) there's a fair share of "silver suits."

OldTimeRadio said:
P. S. While jet-packs don't turn up much in UFO reports (if at all) there's a fair share of "silver suits."

What I meant was people's view of the future always seemed to turn out far more futuristic than it actually is. So if we appeared as a ghost to them then we probably wouldn't conform to their vision of someone from the future just someone notably oddly dressed.

This tale is intriguing (edited for brevity):
1954: AN UNUSUAL HOUSE GUEST IN PERU

Carlos and Anita Jimenez lived in a two-story house on the Calle 28 de Julio (street), south of the Plaza de Armas and La Compania church. Their house was Mediterranean or Spanish Colonial in style, built around a central courtyard . The only windows facing the street were on the second floor. A locked door provided the only access to the interior courtyard from the street.

Having walked home from the market, Carlos unlocked the outside door. They carried their groceries into the kitchen, and, while they were stocking cupboard shelves, Anita heard a noise upstairs.

...So up the stairs they went, with Carlos in the lead. As they walked past their own bedroom, Anita had a strong feeling that someone was in there. Together Carlos and Anita rushed through the open doorway. Then they stopped short, gaping in astonishment. Standing on the other side of the bed was a beautiful young woman. She looked shocked at first. Then her expression was a blend of frustration and dismay.

Carlos wasn't exactly a big help to the Policia Municipal. He said the intruder was "very pretty" with "an impressive bosom." Anita, on the other hand, provided a wealth of details. She described the intruder as 1.7 meters (5 feet, 6 inches) tall and slender, with a honey-gold tan and an exuberant mass of curling and wavy auburn hair. She had golden hoop earrings and sandals to match. And her attire was a bit skimpy for the Andes. Anita described it as "an avocado-green French swimsuit (bikini--J.T.) and a bolero jacket of the same color with elbow-length sleeves." The intruder had what looked like a white plastic cast on her left forearm.

Anita broke the silence, "Who are you? What are you doing in our house?"

"How did you get in here?" Carlos asked.

The intruder looked at them both for a long moment, then replied in halting Spanish. "Me llamo Jelu. No estoy de aqui." ("My name is Jelu. I am not from around here.")

Then the intruder lifted her left forearm. The Jimenez couple saw twinkling multicolored lights flashing along its length. The woman began tapping it as if it were a typewriter.

Instantly a wall of fine red mist appeared between them and Jelu.

Getting frightened, Anita said, "I'm calling the police!"

Ignoring them, Jelu turned and faced the stucco wall behind the bed. She began tapping her thick plastic wrist device again.

Carlos rounded the bed, one hand reaching out to detain her. "Un momento, senorita..."

But as his fingers made contact with the mist, he let out a scream and tumbled to the carpet. Anita rushed to her husband's side. White-faced and gasping, Carlos tenderly cradled his stricken hand. His fingers and thumb were covered with small red blisters.

"What did you do!?" Anita shouted.

Suddenly, a circle of golden light appeared on the wall, as if there was a hand-held flashlight on the other side. The light circle swiftly grew until it reached from the floor to the ceiling. The light was soft and resembled "oil floating on water," Carlos later told police.

The intruder stepped into the light--and vanished.

The red mist disappeared, as well.

With his wife's aid, Carlos sat on the edge of the bed, gritting his teeth in pain. Rushing to the bedroom window, Anita said, "I'll get help."

As she pushed open the latticework shutters, Anita got another surprise.

Before she could cry out, she saw the intruder several meters down the street, heading north towards La Compania church. Anita blinked in disbelief. The woman had left only 20 seconds ago. How could she have gotten down the street? Indeed, if not for that towering auburn hairstyle, she never would have recognized Jelu. For the intruder was now wearing typical Andean clothes--a voluminous dark skirt, a cardigan sweater and a black knit shawl.

"Help! Help! We need a doctor here!" Anita yelled from the upstairs window. And pointing at the intruder, she added, "Stop her! She's a thief! She broke into our house!"

Jelu looked back only once and quickened her step.

"Carlos, she's right outside!" Anita said, running for the bedroom doorway. Favoring his injured hand, Carlos followed suit. The couple reached their front gate just as Jelu reached the plaza. Shouting, they charged up the street, followed by curious neighbors, only to watch haplessly as Jelu flagged down a colectivo, hopped into the back seat and sped away (Editor's Note: A colectivois a sort of itinerant taxicab that follows a set route around a Peruvian city.)

The police visited the Jimenez house and interviewed the couple. No one had tampered with the door's lock, and there were no items missing from the premises. The officers thought the couple had been victimized by "a crazy woman" acting out some burglar fantasy.

The Ayacucho residents who told me this story insisted that the incident had taken place during a major UFO flap in South America. I was not in Ayacucho long enough to confirm the Jimenez story. But I did find a mention of a major UFO sighting in the neighboring country of Bolivia.

source

"She described the intruder as 1.7 meters (5 feet, 6 inches) tall and slender, with a honey-gold tan and an exuberant mass of curling and wavy auburn hair"
I know that that report was from 1954 but it's the same description except for the clothing of the lady my Sri Lankan friend saw in her lounge today as I posted in Beckoning lady.

Now that is interesting!!

Just to keep things joined up the other link refered to is:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26982

--------
graylien said:
This tale is intriguing (edited for brevity):
1954: AN UNUSUAL HOUSE GUEST IN PERU

Carlos wasn't exactly a big help to the Policia Municipal. He said the intruder was "very pretty" with "an impressive bosom." Anita, on the other hand, provided a wealth of details.

That is a very nice touch in the tale (its like the ultimate disguise - "so can you describe the woman?" "Well she had big boobs and... possibly a head, wo arms and two legs. Oh and hair."). It does have the feel of something that has improved in the telling.

I, for one, welcome our new busty, dimension-hopping Amazonian overlords. If you see one please give them my card.

Mighty_Emperor said:
What I meant was people's view of the future always seemed to turn out far more futuristic than it actually is.

You are of course correct. Look at all those science-fiction illustrations from the late 1920s which portrayed the cityscapes of the 1950s (!) as stratospherically-stretching skyscrapers connected at the very highest levels by autobahns!

The problem with many and perhaps most futurists is that they extrapolate based on what is technologically possible rather than what the people will actually want.

The classic example here is the picture-phone. Those were technologically feasible 40 or even 50 years ago. But Jill doesn't care for her beau to see her in hair curlers, and Jack likely doesn't care to see her that way either.

OldTimeRadio said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
The classic example here is the picture-phone. Those were technologically feasible 40 or even 50 years ago. But Jill doesn't care for her beau to see her in hair curlers, and Jack likely doesn't care to see her that way either.

Haw haw haw ...too true. :lol:

OldTimeRadio said:
Even so, there DO seem to be a lot more resonances between UFOnauts and fairy lore than with ghosts.

There are a lot of similarities between ghosts and fairy lore too...reading any decent book on Irish folklore should show that it's not so easy to distinguish between the two.

And various hauntings/apparitions sound as much like fairies as ghosts, from some of the Blue Bell Hill apparitions in Kent (particularly the hag that was seen there, and I think a childlike figure at Kits Coty House megalithic monument nearby), and the "playing children" seen in relation to another "road ghost" type haunting, at the Stocksbridge bypass.

In England at least, if you see an apparition that disappears suddenly you are more likely to think "ghost" than "fairy" but that's purely a cultural distinction, I would say.

OldTimeRadio said:
The problem with many and perhaps most futurists is that they extrapolate based on what is technologically possible rather than what the people will actually want.

Well, we have the picture phone now – MSN Messenger and a webcam – and the young people really like it. But forty years ago it would have been an expensive device and an expensive service; now the camera costs 20 pounds and works with the computer and internet service you already have. There are plenty of ways Jill wants Jack to see her, if the price is right ...

True, but it's subtler still. The picture-phones you see in futuristic images from the past automatically show the people talking, whereas the phones, webcams etc which we have now only show what the 'sender' wants them to. ;)

So the image which is sent is under the control of the user. That's what we pay for. I think most people feel it's a bargain! :D

Re: Slipping through dimensions?

ElishevaBarsabe said:
Anyone notice that details about their lives or environments have changed recently in small but notable ways?

For example, I wanted to phone someone whose number I know quite well but instead of ending with 6, her phone number now ends with 5! She hasn't changed numbers, and she only has one phone line. Anyway, the her phone number was exactly as I remembered it except for that last digit (I've always had a knack for remembering phone numbers, so I don't think I forgot it.)

Also, while working at my computer, I found a completed and finialized version of a rather complicated bit of programming that I was just sitting down to write.

Other things have changed, too, although I don't remember exactly what they were right now. It's as if I was slipping through dimensions that are very close to each other but not entirely identical.

Anyone else?

I thought this just happened to me!

I used to live in a universe where the film Reservoir Dogs was called Reservoir OF Dogs.

Very recently I went to drive from Mold to Buckley (in North Wales). It's a journey I have done many times, and it involved driving to a certain roundabout and taking a certain exit. Only recently the exit I used to take didn't go to Buckley! I got really confused and couldn't figure out what was happening for a minute or two and just went round and round the roundabout. Eventually I drove to another roundabout further on and took an exit from that one and that led to Buckley. The thing is I swear that it didn't used to! Like most people who do regular journeys I sort of drive on automatic, so why suddenly my 'automatic' system went wrong I just don't know!

A few other things have happened recently too, but I can't remember what they were!! I have been aware of the (admittedly remote) possibility that I my memories are correct, and it's the world that changes, for some time now!

Of course this could all just be nonsense...

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, but my username on this board used to be "lenny". At one point i kept getting an error message (after not logging in for a long time) saying "that username is taken". So i figured maybe i just remembered my info for this board incorrectly, and started trying other names/passwords i use often. "lkb3rd" worked and now i see old posts where people are referring to me by name as lenny, but my username even in those posts is now lkb3rd. If it was a reality shift they would have been calling me lkb so i don't know why i mention it...

I do however have something that is of more interest to this thread. When i was very young , i had the idea in my head that there were different people living in our house, yet we couldn't see them, and they couldn't see us. It was definitely the idea that there was an alternate reality going on in our house. I don't remember how old i was, but we moved out of that house when i was 8, and the memory has the same feel as memories i have from when i was very young, like under 5. I don't remember anyone telling me this, it was just an idea that i remember having, and at that age anyone trying to tell me there was an alternate reality going on would be unlikely i'd say.

Back