• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Slow motion movement

Spookyangel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I remembered the other day this incident that I experienced when at college. It was years ago now but I was just wondering what ppl's take on it would be.

I'd been on a long train journey back to college and was really tired but my friends dragged me out in the evening. We went to the college hall for a Bavarian night. It was really loud music and we did lots of dancing and had a great time!

When I got back to my bedroom I was getting ready for bed and felt like I was moving in slow motion (possibly tiredness?), but when I moved my hand, I saw it in duplicate. I could see the trail my hand left behind as I moved it in front of my face.
I wasn't particularly disturbed by this but it did seem very odd.

It was ok the next morning when I woke up and I've never experienced it again.

I was drinking just lemonade all night, so it wasn't caused by alcohol and I was buying my own drinks so it wasn't spiked.
So what do you think caused it?

Nothing like this ever happened to me but it reminds me of those scenes in the Matrix movies where things occur in slow motion. Perhps you got a glimpse of reality's true speed.

when suffering from extreen tiredness i have experienced somthing similar but i have to be very tired!...maybe u had a blood sugar crash?.... i get slow motion, awareness of my limbs (when walking etc dificult to walk when it takes all your thought) painful eye movement and lights leaveing trails...do u maybe have a tube light?...sometimes their 50 cycles a second flashing can lead to odd effects with fast moveing objects.

I get very very tired very very easily :)

it sounds like one of the "showings" I get just before my system closes down for a bijou nappette (or 40 winks!) to set me up for the next few hours...

caffeine will put the sleep off for a wee while :)

Kath

I did suffer from low blood sugar levels at the time, so maybe that's it, Jon.
There were strip lights in the room from what I remember.
I think what worried me the next day was the thought that someone had put drugs in my drink, but I guess I'd have had more than just this effect?

It's a common effect during hallucinogenic trips, but I believe that sometimes our mind can reach such states without taking anything. Increased carbon dioxide levels, unusual temporary body metabolism,probably strong electro-magnetic fields, any of these could cause 'cinematic' seeing. Well, that's my theory.:D

I remember having something similar happen to me when I was ill years ago I was very very sleepy during that time (throat infection I just remembered!) and I'd loose my depth perception [y'know like you do when you're really really tired] and occasionally i could see "vapour trails" when people were moving near me ... I thought it was pretty kewl!

Stonedoggy mentions 40 winks but when tired one gets micro sleeps literaly dropping off to sleep then wakeing all in a second...maybe u had a string of thoes together tho they are quite distinctive.... ther are many drugs and many effects i would think, have u reason to think someone was slippign u a roffie?..

Not at all, but I'd heard that drugs gave that effect and always wondered about it.

Spooky angel said:
Not at all, but I'd heard that drugs gave that effect and always wondered about it.

wel i sopose that drugs are only causing things that the brain can do on its own in extreem circumstances... to me it soudn sliek u needed somthing to eat and a good sleep to me...

lack of blood to the brain also causes some strange effect..as in negative g turns or loops in a plane..vision goes grey sort of looses colour then grey curtain decends and unconciosness..

Well it did happen a long time ago! About 9 years ago to be precise, so yeah I'm fine now. ;)

Spooky angel said:

LSD and Magic Mushrooms both give the effect of multicoloured blurring of moving objects in the early stages of "trip". The latter I personally experienced - long, long ago!

Perhaps the chemical imbalances caused by hallucinogens also affects the blood sugar levels.

I didn't see any colours, so I'm hoping it wasn't anything like that.

From the letters page of this months Fortean Times (FT178:72 (dec2003) ) :

Slo mo

One day when I was a small boy, around 1985, there was a teachers' strike at my school and we were not alowed in before 8.50am. I was waiting outside with some friends as the doors were being opened and sudenly realised that everybody was speaking slowly and as I looked round they were moveing in slow motion. I managed to turn round and find a place to sit and as I sat down everybody became "normal" again.

Jason Wilkinson
Manchester

So don't worry spooky, it's not just you ;)

Everything wasn't in slow motion though, just my hand, and I could see the trail of images it left as it moved. Weird.

I've had that as a result of medication--I *think* it would happen if I got overly tired while taking Serzone, but it's been a while. It alarmed me at first but later I began to really enjoy it, oddly enough.

I get that fairly frequently. I only ever notice it with my hands, but it's a definate trail as I move my hand back and forth. I can't recall what sort of condition I'm in when I get it though. Quite likely when I'm tired, but I'm sure it's happened at other times, too.

Its happened to me, peoples voices would become stuttery and everything would be like a stop-motion animation. It would only last for about 10 seconds.

Woah, this is an old thread!
I wasn't taking any medication so it must have been the tiredness. It's never happened again.

Back