• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Smartphone Microscope offers cost-effective DNA Sequencing and Genetic Mutation analysis

karthikaqpt

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just like an alphabet is made up of individual letters, DNA is composed of chemical bases. And in the same way that letters must be placed in a specific order to form words and sentences, the sequence of chemical bases is incredibly important in how DNA functions and codes our lives.

One reason scientists pay close attention to DNA sequence is that it can help them identify a gene or a mutation that may cause a disease. But the analysis typically requires sending patients’ cell and tissue samples to well-equipped labs, which in many cases are located far away. This is a particular challenge in settings with limited resources — in developing countries and underdeveloped communities, for example — where health care workers do not always have the tools or the expertise to conduct DNA sequencing analysis.

Now, a smartphone-based microscope developed by researchers at the California NanoSystems Institute at UCLA and at Sweden’s Stockholm University and Uppsala University could make the mutation testing accessible to health care workers even in remote locations, without the need for large, expensive lab equipment. The device can image and analyze specific DNA sequences and genetic mutations in tumor cells and tissue samples without having to first extract DNA from them.

To use the device, a technician places a tissue sample in a small container. The mobile phone microscope records multi-mode images of the processed sample and feeds data to an algorithm, which automatically analyzes the images to read the sequenced DNA bases of the extracted tumor DNA, or to find genetic mutations directly inside the tumor tissue. This mobile microscope can detect even small amounts of cancer cells among a large group of normal cells.

Now, a smartphone-based microscope developed by researchers at the California NanoSystems Institute at UCLA and at Sweden’s Stockholm University and Uppsala University could make the mutation testing accessible to health care workers even in remote locations, without the need for large, expensive lab equipment. The device can image and analyze specific DNA sequences and genetic mutations in tumor cells and tissue samples without having to first extract DNA from them.
This sounds like Science Fantasy to me. AFAIK, no microscope is capable of seeing the DNA double helix, let alone one built into a mobile phone. The original discovery of the double helix came about with complex analysis of X-ray images, and I don't think an X-ray machine could be squeezed into a mobile phone!

http://www.nobelprize.org/educational/medicine/dna_double_helix/readmore.html

This sounds like Science Fantasy to me. AFAIK, no microscope is capable of seeing the DNA double helix, let alone one built into a mobile phone. The original discovery of the double helix came about with complex analysis of X-ray images, and I don't think an X-ray machine could be squeezed into a mobile phone!

http://www.nobelprize.org/educational/medicine/dna_double_helix/readmore.html
X-ray machines to this day use a large glass tube as the emitter. Actually more bulky than a mobile phone.
Eventually, solid state technology will become available and the glass tubes will no longer be used.

The project and the research are for real, but I'm still a bit confused as to what, and how much, this mobile device can accomplish.

The formal paper describing this research (from Nature Communications) can be accessed here:

http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13913

My (admittedly vague) understanding is that this is not a full-blown DNA sequencing system. Instead, it's an aid for pathology. It seems to basically conduct a visual scan (using lasers) of a tissue sample, mimicking what a pathologist would be doing with a light microscope. It also seems that some chemical interactions with the tissue sample slide are involved, and I guess this facilitates optical recognition of certain key features as well as maybe providing some clues as to chemical bio-markers.

Interestingly, I can't find any mention of it under the Health / Medicine section of the California NanoSystems Institute website. :confused:

Back