• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

So Who Is Stronger: Jesus Or Thor?

jimv1 said:
So who is the strongest - Jesus or Thor?

I guess that issue was best debated in the world of folk music and ultimately reduced to one crucial question - would I be stronger if I had a hammer or if I were a carpenter?

And to think people dismiss folk music as a bunch of earnest sandal wearing beardies banging on about about gypsies.

jimv1 said:
So who is the strongest - Jesus or Thor?
I suppose that would really depend on whether you were a fan of Marvel, or Jack Chick comics. ;)

Don't be silly, there's really no comparison.

Thor was a warrior, Jesus was a carpenter turned teacher. Now I don't know about you, but woodwork teachers at my school tended to be scrawny types.

Oh no question about it. it's gotta be Thor, the warrior god of thunder with his mighty enchanted battle hammer Mjolner. Somehow I can't see peace loving, sandle wearing, longhaired hippy type jesus putting up much of a fight.

QuaziWashboard said:
Oh no question about it. it's gotta be Thor, the warrior god of thunder with his mighty enchanted battle hammer Mjolner. Somehow I can't see peace loving, sandle wearing, longhaired hippy type jesus putting up much of a fight.

What if he brings his dad?

Your God is an aging hippy,
Eats boiled fruit, can't fart out loud,
My God arm wrestled Cruschev,
Eats meat, farts with pride!

And even:
My God ain't risen,
He's sleeping in today.

Interesting topic, but v.little to do with the Bible. So, I've given it, it's own Thread. Carry on. :)

Well the Christian God overthrew the Norse Gods, so Jesus must have been stronger.

The Vikings had a belief in 'The White Christ' which was an amalgamation of Christian beliefs, about the sacrifice of Christ and Norse beliefs, about the sacrifice of Odin.

From a Roman Catholic Hagiography of St Olaf, often identified with Thor:
http://www.katolsk.no/biografi/olav/eng_03.htm

Saint Olav - King of Norway

Olav had time when he was in Rouen to compare the gods of Norse religion with the White Christ and his hosts of angels. A very decisive question for the rough Viking must have been which of them was the most powerful - the gods of Norse religion or the White Christ. He knew from the pagan faith of his childhood that the gods in Valhalla had come into being within time and that they would all perish in Ragnarokk (Ragnarokk was the final fierce battleground): thus they were not eternal. And even if they could help the farmer to have good harvests and the warrior to win victories on the field of battle, they were not all-powerful either. For not only human beings, but even gods and goddesses were subordinate to another, superior power, that of destiny, which no one could escape. Both gods and human beings were pieces moved around in destiny's capricious game. The Norseman could win the gods' favour through bloody sacrifice, but no one could appease destiny. It was an impersonal evil power who never asked questions about a person's worth. Destiny could award victory and good harvests to a man of violence. Destiny could lead a friendly and happy man into conflicts that ended in his death.

Here in Rouen, Olav must have pondered the powerlessness of the gods and the omnipotence of the White Christ - for his Christian friends could tell him that the White Christ was uncreated. He existed from all eternity. Nor would he perish in Ragnarokk. The heavenly king would live forever in heavenly glory. He was also told that the White Christ had created a court of angels, and that all human beings had come into existence through his word.

... He was told that the White Christ continued to live his invisible life in a very visible society that was called the Catholic Church. And he also understood that those who belonged to this society were zealous in bringing the Christian faith to pagan countries. He was told that the greatest chief in Christ's army was the pope in Rome. His commissioners round in the various countries were the bishops and the priests. Through the sacraments and preaching, they were to recruit new warriors for Christ's army. Olav himself now wanted to belong to this army. He accepted the Christian faith and was baptised in Rouen.

Well, Thor was strong and had that awesome hammer. Jesus could walk on water and judging from the painting in my flatmate´s room, was able to shoot lasers from his hands just like Iron Man. I would probably place my bets on Thor.

Thor he's a jolly good fellow

Oh look - angels and dinosaurs fighting over Noah's ark.

Anyhow, Jesus can always come back from the dead so I don't see how you can really beat him. And I reckon that if Jesus wore rubber sandals he wouldn't have to worry about lightning. Or maybe even an entire rubber suit.

OK. Title for a proposed Jesus action movie....Dinosaurs Are Forever.

I'll do the storyboards and miracle concept work.

Re: Thor he's a jolly good fellow

graylien said:

Anyhow, Jesus can always come back from the dead so I don't see how you can really beat him. And I reckon that if Jesus wore rubber sandals he wouldn't have to worry about lightning. Or maybe even an entire rubber suit.

While we're going all FOOM here (friends of old marvel) it's been mentioned that the Silver Surfer is Jesus on a surfboard (mentioned on another thread) however, the view of the true comic buff is that he's a fallen angel.

Back to Jesus vs Thor, apart from the resurrection thing, Jesus could turn Don Blake's cane into a snake and stop him becoming Thor in the first place. Do I get a No-Prize?

So is Jesus a pirate or a ninja?

gncxx said:
QuaziWashboard said:

Which one, the omnipotent Jehova, father of Jesus or the omnipotent Wodin, father of Thor?
There's no point in playing 'my dad's bigger than your dad' with these two as they are basicaly the 'same size.'
The only difference between these two families is that Wodin's son is a bully with the elements of the weather at his command and Jehova's son is a wimp who can make a decent wine out of water....

...no offence to Christians intended. ;)

jimv1 said:
graylien said:

While we're going all FOOM here (friends of old marvel) it's been mentioned that the Silver Surfer is Jesus on a surfboard (mentioned on another thread) however, the view of the true comic buff is that he's a fallen angel.

Back to Jesus vs Thor, apart from the resurrection thing, Jesus could turn Don Blake's cane into a snake and stop him becoming Thor in the first place. Do I get a No-Prize?
No, sorry no No-Prize for you as the power to turn walking sticks or staffs into snakes belonged to Moses not Jesus.

Funnily enough, I've recently read an old Marvel story of The Silver Surfer 'vs' Thor. Of course the fight came about due to the cunning and scheming of Loki (Thor's evil half brother) and the Surfer almost beat Thor but only as a result of having his own powers amplified by Loki's powers.

gncxx said:
QuaziWashboard said:

What if Thor brings his dad Odin?

Can never rely on his brother Loki though.

Well, in that case, what if Jesus brings his twelve mates along too then? There were some big blokes in that gang, if the pictures are anything to go by.

QuaziWashboard said:
No, sorry no No-Prize for you as the power to turn walking sticks or staffs into snakes belonged to Moses not Jesus[/quote]

OK. Jesus turns all the water in Don Blake's body into wine and poisons him. Winner - Jesus.

with his mighty enchanted battle hammer Mjolner

doesn't it get bigger the more you rub it?

Well, in that case, what if Jesus brings his twelve mates along too then? There were some big blokes in that gang, if the pictures are anything to go by.

only if thor can bring the rest of his pantheon to help... some of them, like fenris, we're a bit tasty...

Greetings,
As was mentioned before, Jesus was a teacher and Thor was a warrior.
I was removed from my congregation for doing a paper on the "true face of Jesus"
I just did not think that someone from Gala lie would look like James Taylor.
As too the question.....Jesus, hands down. No other figure in history has had more blood spilled in his name.
Beware the Christian.
PEACE!
=^..^=217

jimv1 said:
graylien said:

I don't know whether you are aware of the recent Gah Lak Tus story in the Ultimate Marvel line, but the Silver Surfers (as in plural and loads of them) are like sinister winged prophets setting up doomsday cults.

Wouldn't an Odin versus Jesus match make a little more sense? Stabbed by the spear, hanging for days in torment, and in most Norse cosmologies, the term Allfather doesn't really equate to a Christian concept of 'God as Creator'.

The last marvel Comic I read was marvel zombies where, in desperation for food, our superheroes-turned-into-flesh-eating zombies ate Silver Surfer :shock: and then turned on the god-thing Galactus, consuming him and his powers ultimately becoming a hungry, destructive plague to other planets throughout the universe.

Which may sum up some people's view of religion in a nutshell I think.

As for Jesus v Odin, I think the comparisons of crucifiction, spears etc have been looked into on other threads.

Well Thor was very strong, but he wasn´t the smartest guy around. However if he sends some lighting at Jesus, what is he going to do? Of course the fact that Jesus survived the crucifixion could indicate he has healing powers like Wolverine does. Which coupled with the hand lasers could spell trouble for Thor.

Xanatico said:
Well Thor was very strong, but he wasn´t the smartest guy around. However if he sends some lighting at Jesus, what is he going to do? Of course the fact that Jesus survived the crucifixion could indicate he has healing powers like Wolverine does. Which coupled with the hand lasers could spell trouble for Thor.
No no no. The fact that Jesus survived the crucifixion would indicate that it didn't kill him in the first place, nothing miraculous there, ordinary mortal people survive cricifixion and recover all the time as a way of paying homage to Jesus, without any mutant healing powers. The fact that he passed out after only three hours just means that physicaly, he was a wimp.
One lightning bolt from Thor and he'll be back at his dad's side looking for another virgin to be born from. I think that would at least count as a knockout.
jimv1 said:
OK. Jesus turns all the water in Don Blake's body into wine and poisons him. Winner - Jesus.
Huh, poison Thor with wine? Thor? The guy who regularly quaffs with the rest of the Asgardians in the halls of Valhalla?
It'd probably be more dangerous to turn all the alcohol in his body into blood.

I think that Baldur is somewhat analagous to Jesus.

This is beginning to remind me of that old computer game Valhalla.

I've played Lord of the Rings on the Xbox which was a sort of Final Fantasy style RPG. I could see Jesus using a similar technique of casting a recurring healing spell on himself at the beginning of the round and dodging a lot, getting in some sneaky hits on the side and draining Thor's energy in a long game.
Plus, he could take the fight to a large body of water where he would have the advantage of being able to kick a swimming Thor in the face repeatedly with his sandled holy foot.

I don't think this titanic struggle would be as much of a walkover as previously thought.

Back