• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Software used for Hacking found in MP's Computer

A

Anonymous

A computer in the office of the Labor MLC Mr Tony Kelly was loaded with password "sniffing" software that could have been used to break into the personal files of the Liberal MP Mr Charlie Lynn, a consultant hired to investigate hacking allegations inside the NSW Parliament has found.

The Herald has confirmed that the 12-page preliminary report by a
Melbourne firm, eSec, commissioned by parliamentary staff and handed to police on Tuesday, recommends a more detailed analysis of the computer files - a move supported by initial police investigations.

......there is evidence of several computer hacking program tools on the system, either downloaded from the Internet or bought commercially.

It supports the concerns first raised by parliamentary IT staff two
weeks ago when they discovered Mr Lynn's name and his computer IP address on the screen of Mr Kelly's office computer.

It is understood initial police investigations of the hard drive, being handled by the computer crime unit of the commercial crime agency, will concur with the eSec findings when finalised, probably today.

The next stage of the investigation will be to conduct a forensic and diagnostic audit to determine if the hacking software has been used to illegally search private files of MPs.

Australia, August 9th, 2001

SYDNEY, Sept 4 2001, AAP

A NSW Labor MP cleared of allegations he hacked into confidential
Liberal Party computer files is demanding an apology from Opposition Leader Kerry Chikarovski.

An internal report yesterday concluded that confidential files of
shadow cabinet secretary Charlie Lynn were accidentally loaded onto the parliamentary computer of Tony Kelly by IT staff.

The clearance for Mr Kelly follows a police report last week which
also cleared him of any criminal activity in relation to the hacking
allegations.

"A police report and a computer expert's report have totally cleared me," Mr Kelly said last night.

"Mrs Chikarovski sullied my good name and I want an immediate apology. I am furious at this revelation."

Later on.......

The son of Mr Tony Kelly, the Labor MP at the centre of hacking
allegations, was using a computer in his father's parlia-mentary
office late one Friday night to run software that can scan computer networks for security weaknesses while his father was overseas on parliamentary business.

The report, by a Melbourne firm, eSec, also found that files belonging to the Opposition MP Mr Charlie Lynn had been accidentally put onto the computer by I.T. staff. This was unrelated to the use of the unauthorised software on the computer.

The eSec report found, given the range of computer security-related programs installed, that it was "reasonable" to conclude someone with an interest in computer security had used the computer on various occasions, including July 20, and that the computer was used to "launch scans within the [parliamentary] network".

But Mr Kelly said his son was merely trying to protect his computer
from hacking.

Parliamentary I.T. staff were alerted to problems with the computer on July 24, when a number of files were removed from the computer, the report found. The computer was not secured until the Clerk of the Parliament, Mr John Evans, was notified the next day.

There was little information to show if any of the other programs had been used, it said.

Mr Kelly admitted yesterday that one of his sons had accessed the
computer and loaded the software on July 20 from 9.33pm until 11.32pm, when the LANguard software was apparently being run on more than 250 computers in Parliament.

The report said the software could be used "aggressively" and appeared to have been used to scan various Internet addressees on the computer networks. It could also be used to identify security weaknesses, including weak passwords.

But Mr Kelly said the software was used - without his knowledge or authorisation - because his son suspected the computer was insecure. "The purpose was to check the security of the system to make sure my computer was hackerproof," he said.

Mr Kelly defended his son's actions and access to the computer, and denied reports that his son had been barred from his office.

Back