• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
A solar storm simultaneously hit Earth, the moon and Mars - the first time an eruption was measured on three planetary surfaces at once.

An international fleet of spacecraft detected the outburst, finding the particles were energetic enough to soar through Earth's magnetic field that typically shields our planet from such events.

The solar storm pummeled the moon and Mars due to a lack of magnetic fields, which astronomers fear could be deadly for future human exploration.

The solar storm was detected on October 28, 2021, but the scientists published their findings today.

The event was captured by the European Space Agency's (ESA) ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO), NASA's Curiosity Mars rover, the China National Space Administration (CNSA) Moon lander, NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), and German Aerospace Center's (DLR) Eu:CROPIS Earth orbiter.

The team stated that the event was an example of a rare 'ground-level enhancement,' which means particles released in the explosion are energetic enough to pass through the magnetic bubble surrounding Earth and protect us from less active solar outbursts.

This was only the 73rd ground-level enhancement since records began in the 1940s, and none have been recorded since - but still, the first time a solar storm has hit three planetary surfaces simultaneously.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...ption-slams-Earth-moon-Mars-time-history.html

maximus otter

A solar storm simultaneously hit Earth, the moon and Mars - the first time an eruption was measured on three planetary surfaces at once
This makes no sense to me at all. How can it possibly have been simultaneous, in terms of the storm hitting?

These four planetary bodies are significant different distances from each-other (excepting of course the close Earth-to-Moon relationship)

For ease of calculation: taking just the distance from Earth to Mars (350 million kilometres)....that's a speed-of-light journey-time of a further c20mins before the storm arrived.

Or what am I misunderstanding?

This makes no sense to me at all. How can it possibly have been simultaneous, in terms of the storm hitting?

These four planetary bodies are significant different distances from each-other (excepting of course the close Earth-to-Moon relationship)

For ease of calculation: taking just the distance from Earth to Mars (350 million kilometres)....that's a speed-of-light journey-time of a further c20mins before the storm arrived.

Or what am I misunderstanding?
The same thing occurred to me. It is from the Mail though..

Space.com uses the same terms.

A solar eruption that occurred in Oct. 2021 was simultaneously detected here on Earth, on the moon — and even on Mars.

By detecting the same coronal mass ejection (CME) on these three different worlds for the first time, scientists can better determine how a planet's magnetic field and atmosphere work together to shield life from such radiation.

This first-of-its-kind CME detection was made even more impressive by the fact that at the time of the eruption, our planet and the Red Planet were on opposite sides of the sun with a gulf of around 155 million miles (250 million kilometers) between them.

https://www.space.com/expansive-sol...s-risk-of-radiation-for-future-space-missions

Space.com uses the same terms.

A solar eruption that occurred in Oct. 2021 was simultaneously detected here on Earth, on the moon — and even on Mars.

By detecting the same coronal mass ejection (CME) on these three different worlds for the first time, scientists can better determine how a planet's magnetic field and atmosphere work together to shield life from such radiation.

This first-of-its-kind CME detection was made even more impressive by the fact that at the time of the eruption, our planet and the Red Planet were on opposite sides of the sun with a gulf of around 155 million miles (250 million kilometers) between them.

https://www.space.com/expansive-sol...s-risk-of-radiation-for-future-space-missions
OK - I’m taking ‘simultaneously’ simply to mean it was detected at the 3 locations rather than at the same moment in time.

Back