• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Some Bizarre Thing I Once Saw

RealPaZZa

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My 15 year old son visited this weekend, he is really interested in matters fortean and was introduced to the “family ghost story” via this board. We where talking about ghosts and stuff and it jogged my memory, I HAVE had one a fortean experience in my life, here goes...

My son was about 8 years old, I was collecting both my sons from Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, UK from their mothers. It was about teatime, I knocked at the door of his house, my ex-wife answered and asked me in as the lads werent quite ready, we talked about the kids for 2 minutes and then I went to pick up their sportsbag that contained their clothes for the weekend etc.

What I saw on it was truly bizarre, I can best describe it as a shadow of a rat, it has no limbs or anything, I call it a shadow as it was blackish and slightly see-through. It kind of silently cascaded off the sportsbag as if it had no skeleton and dissapeared. It definalty wasnt a trick and it did dissapear. I thought my eyes where playing tricks on me, then my ex-wife said “What was that” so she saw it too, I told her I didnt think it was anything to worry about. It wasnt scary or anything. I then left the house with my lads and set off for Lincoln.

Id totally forgotten about this, my memory was jogged by my sons shadow story. It couldnt have been a daydream as my ex-wife saw it also.

Anyone got a suggestion as to what it was?

PaZZa said:
Anyone got a suggestion as to what it was?

There's lots of stuff on this board about 'shadowmen' and their like, although I think shadow animals (or small shadows like the one you saw) are seemingly rarer.

I would tend to think they're not ghosts per se, but rather a kind of household elemental. This is a complete guess, of course. ;)

Is it true that most 'shadow ghost' sightings are either out of the corner of one's eye, or an image that turns up in a photograph? And Pazza, I presume you and your ex were looking directly at the ratlike shadow thing? Did you percieve it as being 2-D or 3-D? Also, was it's form altered by the sportsbag the way an actual shadow would be, or did the thing appear to be independent of it's background?

toe said:
Is it true that most 'shadow ghost' sightings are either out of the corner of one's eye, or an image that turns up in a photograph? And Pazza, I presume you and your ex were looking directly at the ratlike shadow thing? Did you percieve it as being 2-D or 3-D? Also, was it's form altered by the sportsbag the way an actual shadow would be, or did the thing appear to be independent of it's background?

It was 3D, it was interacting with the sportsbag, the way its moved is hard to describe - not a slither, more of a cascade like rolling, it was moving under its own power, but had no means of moving like legs etc. My ex-wife and myself both had our eyes caught by it, I wonder what it was doing before it caught our eyes? We where looking direclty at it after we both saw it. It was definatly moving off the bag, on the bags surface until it got off the bag. If it had stayed on the bag would I have taken it with me? Would it have fallen off outside the house, or ended up in the car? Could it have been trying to get into the bag (it was zipped closed), or maybe it did get into the bag in its own way? Maybe as my sons where spending the weekend away from home it was coming with them? Maybe to watch over them? (im just exploring possibilitie here). none of us here ever seen anything like it again ever.

PS it had no head or features or anything, best described as looking like a large sausage.

Sounds like a 'thing' which hung around the BF's house years ago. He describes it as a bigger verson of the 'rat', more like a see-through bag of coal, which he and his housemates used to see for a while after they did a ouija board.

They were always up to that sort of thing (table tipping, seances etc) and there was apparently a lot of paranormal activity around. It's described on one of the 'ouija' threads. It didn't frighten him - he is unscareable.

I don't remember him saying that it moved, though. I will ask him about that.

escargot said:
Sounds like a 'thing' which hung around the BF's house years ago. He describes it as a bigger verson of the 'rat', more like a see-through bag of coal, which he and his housemates used to see for a while after they did a ouija board.

They were always up to that sort of thing (table tipping, seances etc) and there was apparently a lot of paranormal activity around. It's described on one of the 'ouija' threads. It didn't frighten him - he is unscareable.

I don't remember him saying that it moved, though. I will ask him about that.

It wouldnt surprise me if shed used a ouija board (but i cant say either way), her brother shot himself in the head and died in stupid a russian roulette game (in a differant house) and she told my sons she saw his ghost (even if genuinely thought she did it was cruel to scare small children like that). Maybe she had more phenomena, shes never mentioned anything (she has moved house since), but our communication is generally taking about the kids and exchanging polite conversation, and thats about it.

These types of thing are intriguing. Especially when more than one person is a witness. One morning I was having coffie and watching the news when I witnessed "something" sort of slither up the wall. Difficult to describe. It was more gray than black. By the time I thought to say something it has disapeared in to the ceiling...Could have been my imagination?

It's rather reminiscent of this thread:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14015

From the first post:

When I was about six or seven years old I remember waking up in the middle of the night on several occasions and standing up in my bed to look at the top of the door frame, on the upper righthand corner over which was laying a small, black (or very dark), furry-ish looking creature-like thing that was kind of thin and probably a good five or six inches long.

...and this, too, is associated with a bag. :shock:

Leaferne said:
It's rather reminiscent of this thread:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14015

From the first post:

When I was about six or seven years old I remember waking up in the middle of the night on several occasions and standing up in my bed to look at the top of the door frame, on the upper righthand corner over which was laying a small, black (or very dark), furry-ish looking creature-like thing that was kind of thin and probably a good five or six inches long.

very similar, but the one I saw wasnt furry

Leaferne said:

In each instance the bag belonged to a child of about the same age, too. Very good spot Leaferne. :)

EDIT: I just read the entire 'heart bag' thread and noticed that it followed the "kids see the strangest things" course, since the poster was recalling something (she?) witnessed as a child. However Pazza and his ex were both adults who witnessed a shadow thing on their son's sportsbag.

escargot said:
. . . . more like a see-through bag of coal

Bags! I know it's probably a pointless stretch on my part, but I like to find connections like these on the off chance that they are related. I tend to ponder Fortean/paranormal occurrences using the same default judgments I do in everyday life; what did it look like, what was the context, how did I feel about it, etc. and I think this type of thinking might sometimes hamper understanding.

So with the above thought in mind, maybe the fact that three witnesses have described said 'elemental' as either looking like, living in, or being on a bag can be taken to mean that the word "bag" or the idea of a bag is somehow related to this type of 'shadow elemental'. Silliness dosen't make an idea entirely unworthy.

Speaking of shadow animals, my parents have a racoon-sized one living in their house. Looks rather solid, though, similar to a cat but not quite. It has its regular route - through several rooms, between beds, chests of drawers, etc., and straight into a ventilation shaft in the corner. It does not like its path to be blocked by any objects, and that's how we came to know this. When my parents moved in, my mother had nightmares and all sorts of bad dreams sleeping in her bed - NB: with her head and part of the bed being in its regular route. After they both saw this animal on separate occasions moving along this route and disappearing into the vent hole they realized that the bed must have been in its way and that made it angry which resulted in those terrifying dreams. So they moved it, and after freeing up the space it stopped being seen so ostentatiously and everything is back to normal. So maybe rearranging the furniture in the bedroom might be a pretty good idea for folks who suffer from sleep paralysis, OHS and things like this.

By the way, I know that in Russia it is a common belief that a home spirit (a domovoy) is an integral part of every household. Multiple witnesses, both adults and children, describe it as a very big catlike creature with a cat's head but human face.

PaZZa,

When you say it moved off the bag and then dissapeared, do you mean it moved onto the floor and blinked out of existense, or did it gradually fade away?

Could you see it on the floor for even a second?

-Fitz

Re: The Domovoi

He sometimes had horns and sometimes took on the appearance of the previous owners of the house, a domestic animal, or even simply a bundle of hay. Russian peasants of old were careful not to sleep in the center of the floor which would obstruct his path at night when he was most active. They also kept their homes neat and tidy for him because that created a warm environment which he prefered.

More info here and a pic here.

Flying Penguin said:
And his best friends are mice, did you know that? :lol:

No, I don't remember ever reading that. I got so excited to see someone else was thinking the same thing I was when I read the first post!

Fitz said:
PaZZa,

When you say it moved off the bag and then dissapeared, do you mean it moved onto the floor and blinked out of existense, or did it gradually fade away?

Could you see it on the floor for even a second?

-Fitz

As it got to the bottom of the bag it just dissapeared, It wasnt seen off the bag.

Back