• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Something For The Vegans? Manufactured Meat For Sale In Singapore

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Now they got no excuse to not eat meat.
---------------------

Singapore approves lab-grown 'chicken' meat
Published2 December
Eat Just chicken nuggets
IMAGE COPYRIGHTEAT JUST
image captionEat Just chicken nuggets
Singapore has given regulatory approval for the world’s first “clean meat” that does not come from slaughtered animals.
The decision paves the way for San Francisco-based startup Eat Just to sell lab-grown chicken meat.
The meat will initially be used in nuggets, but the company hasn’t said when they will become available.
Demand for alternatives to regular meat has surged due to consumer concerns about health, animal welfare and the environment.
According to Barclays, the market for meat alternatives could be worth $140bn (£104bn) within the next decade, or about 10% of the $1.4tn global meat industry.
Plant-based meat options such as Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods are increasingly found on supermarket shelves and restaurant menus.
But Eat Just’s product is different because it is not plant based, but instead grown from animal muscle cells in a lab.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55155741

A big problem if we go over entirely to lab-grown meat is... gravy. Where will it come from?

I guess this lab-grown stuff is aimed at people who like eating meat but who stopped because of the animal welfare aspect? Is that right?

Speaking as someone who has never had the slightest inclination to eat meat (I even avoid the plant based alternatives which purportedly taste like meat) it isn't something that appeals.

A big problem if we go over entirely to lab-grown meat is... gravy. Where will it come from?

I'm confused... where does gravy come from now?

(Or do I not want to know the answer to that?)

I'm confused... where does gravy come from now?

(Or do I not want to know the answer to that?)
Gravy is the juices from the meat. Fat, nutrients and blood.
There are vegetarian equivalents (vegetable bouillon), but they don't taste that good.

A golden opportunity to reuse one of my favourite jokes of recent years:

"I found some Iceland burgers in my fridge, but they're off!"

maximus otter

Ah I see. :oops:

All I know about gravy is Oxo and Bovril adverts, to be honest.
I will say that Bovril (when they went through a phase of using vegetarian stock) did very well. Their vegetarian Bovril was actually pretty good.
They've launched a vegan version made from beetroot, but I have never seen it on sale.
Yes, I guess if you've always been a vegan, you may have never tried gravy. Gosh, think of it as liquid bacon.

I will say that Bovril (when they went through a phase of using vegetarian stock) did very well. Their vegetarian Bovril was actually pretty good.
They've launched a vegan version made from beetroot, but I have never seen it on sale.
Yes, I guess if you've always been a vegan, you may have never tried gravy. Gosh, think of it as liquid bacon.

Ooh never tried vegetarian Bovril.

I probably should clarify I'm a vegetarian and not a vegan. Only reason I couldn't be a vegan is that I love cheese too much :D

Now they got no excuse to not eat meat.
---------------------

Singapore approves lab-grown 'chicken' meat
Published2 December
Eat Just chicken nuggets
IMAGE COPYRIGHTEAT JUST
image captionEat Just chicken nuggets
Singapore has given regulatory approval for the world’s first “clean meat” that does not come from slaughtered animals.
The decision paves the way for San Francisco-based startup Eat Just to sell lab-grown chicken meat.
The meat will initially be used in nuggets, but the company hasn’t said when they will become available.
Demand for alternatives to regular meat has surged due to consumer concerns about health, animal welfare and the environment.
According to Barclays, the market for meat alternatives could be worth $140bn (£104bn) within the next decade, or about 10% of the $1.4tn global meat industry.
Plant-based meat options such as Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods are increasingly found on supermarket shelves and restaurant menus.
But Eat Just’s product is different because it is not plant based, but instead grown from animal muscle cells in a lab.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55155741

I've tried an Impossible Burger (in Singapore too) and if the Chef hadn't have told me what it was, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between it and a regular beef burger. It had the look, taste & texture of the real thing.
Would I give lab grown meat a go? Probably yes, just to try it, but I doubt I'd make it a staple part of my diet.

Gravy is the juices from the meat. Fat, nutrients and blood.
There are vegetarian equivalents (vegetable bouillon), but they don't taste that good.

I like vegetable bouillon but prefer meat gravy ultimately. You could make something satisfyingly gravy like with miso paste or Marmite.

To be honest, I'm a meat-dodger but I don't feel any particular urge to try lab-grown meat because some of the alternatives I've found are so nice. The "No Bull Burger" from Iceland is nicer than any burger I had in my pre-veggie days.

On the subject of gravy, has anyone tried Bisto Vegetable Gravy Granules? That's absolutely gorgeous, so much so that people in my family who no issue with eating meat chose it!

I like vegetable bouillon but prefer meat gravy ultimately. You could make something satisfyingly gravy like with miso paste or Marmite.
I will say that when Bovril went through its vegetarian phase, it tasted authentically meaty. They did rather well with that.

I will say that when Bovril went through its vegetarian phase, it tasted authentically meaty. They did rather well with that.

I have vague memories of vegetarian Bovril, marketed as such, with a green label and lid but it being available alongside regular beef Bovril. Did it replace the regular stuff or was it alongside it?

I have vague memories of vegetarian Bovril, marketed as such, with a green label and lid but it being available alongside regular beef Bovril. Did it replace the regular stuff or was it alongside it?
No, when the BSE scare was happening, nobody wanted any beef products - so Bovril was sourced via plant-based means for a while.

In 2004, Unilever removed beef ingredients from the Bovril formula, rendering it vegetarian. This was mainly due to concerns about decreasing sales, particularly from exports due to an export ban on British beef, as a result of the growing popularity of vegetarianism, religious dietary requirements, and public concerns about bovine spongiform encephalopathy. In 2006, Unilever reversed that decision and reintroduced beef ingredients to their Bovril formula once sales increased and the beef export bans were lifted. Unilever now produces Bovril using beef extract and a chicken variety using chicken extract.

No, when the BSE scare was happening, nobody wanted any beef products - so Bovril was sourced via plant-based means for a while.

I have, possibly a completely false, memory of vegetarian Bovril in the late 90s, with the green branding as I said above. No idea where that comes from.

I have, possibly a completely false, memory of vegetarian Bovril in the late 90s, with the green branding as I said above. No idea where that comes from.

I remember that too - never tried it, but I'm sure I heard about the change of recipe.

Back