• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Something on my bed

lkb3rd

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Twice in the last week while napping I have had a similar thing happen. The first time I was sleeping, just waking up, when I felt a weight on my bed as if someone had sat on it behind me. When I looked, no one was there.

The second time, I was dreaming that the room I was staying in as a guest was haunted(part of an ongoing series of dreams). Again, as I was waking up, I felt the weight behind me, and had to struggle to turn(sleep paralysis), and was mumbling, "Who are you?" as I was finally able to turn, and had the feeling that someone was climbing onto my bed behind me. As I turned, it shrunk away and disappeared, and I was only able to see the very edge of it as I turned. I saw a red edge that looked like my blanket, but my blanket is black.

I know it's not too exciting, but it did happen to me so i thought i'd share with you all.

It's quite a common thing, I think and I think it's generally tied to the Night Hag paradagim of Fortean events. No less a weird phenomena for it though! Can be genuinely terrifying and sometimes weirdly comforting.

When I was younger I remember it happened a few times to me. The best ones were when it felt like a cat had got on the bed. A sudden feeling of a small weight on the bed, followed by smaller impressions and then something similar to the thing cats do when they claw to stimulate the expression of their mother's milk before they get comfy.

We didn't actually have cats at the time as my cats had died a couple of years before.

Can I ask how someone sat behind you? Were you on your side or really down the bed?

I had a little shock a few weeks ago when I realized that neither cat had jumped onto the bed. However, when it happened again while I was alert, I realized that the mattress was transferring motion from my husband's shifting his feet in his sleep. Depending on the stability of your mattress, you can even do this to yourself.

Which is not to say that's always what's happening. I wouldn't presume!

As I said on another, very similar thread this can be an effect of older (read wearing-out) inner-spring mattresses. You lie down on the bed and the springs in another part of the mattress "catch" then a few minutes later suddenly release, making it feel as though someone else had also climbed into he bed.

I had a mattress like that a few years back - to me I could always tell it was a spring (Apart from the 'ping! noise, :lol: .) because the force was in an upward motion. You could feel the propultion, if you like. But I've also had experiances of the areas of the bed compressing , as if a weight was on it, which feels entirely different, even on hard orthapedic matresess. Just wanted to give a balanced view.
One thing does strike me though, all the 'bed' experiances on the top thread of this board have the sensation of being behind the poster. ??

EDIT: Sorry am tierd, forgot to add - I'm finding at the moment that any 'bed' experiance in IHTM is put down to some kind of sleep dissorder like night hag, or paralysis. I'm not saying they all aren't, and I'm not saying they all are. It's just it's a nice little neat box to file all these experiancess in, are they really that common, or could just one not be sleep disorder? ;) Lets not forget our supposed objectivity. :)

I too have a problem with the convient "night hag" approch, I had an experiance where i thought the cat had layed on the bottom of the comforter, which was on the floor. When I went to pick the cat up (Hey! I was cold!) there was nothing there, I was fully awake, in a dark bedroom, and definitly felt this, spent the rest of night under the covers, I don't mind telling you!

Sleep paralysis is a nicely parsimonious explanation for a lot of things - but the facts don't always fit, and IMHO the experiencer is the only one with the right to a definitive statement. I have seen an individual's stories altered by people who weren't there in order to fit a preconcieved theory every bit as often as I've seen an individual visibly goosing his own story in order to make them more interesting.

But that's what makes it Fortean, you know. It's damned data.

Nobody has to decide what any given incident was, you know. It's not as though it can be proved one way or another in most cases. The story's what matters. Interpretation is individual.

I can think of no good reason why or how the feeling of overpowering evil which often accompanies - permeates, even - appearances of the Old Hag can be explained by purely physiological causes. Our physiologies don't usually much involve themselves with moral issues.

I'm not certain as to whether the Old Hag has any objective reality or not. But I suspect she is not the creation of sleep paralysis. Rather the SP is the key turning in the big oaken door behind which the Hag normally stays securely locked.

I'm not certain how people are distinguishing between an "overpowering sense of evil" (emanating from an exterior entity) and an "overpowering sensation of fear" (emanating from the self). We don't normally know what the Other's interior states are; we only know our interior reactions to our perceptions of the Other's exterior.

The only Hag experience I ever had, I didn't feel evil - I felt afraid. I got myself out of it when I felt my little sister wake up next to me and assumed the big-sister responsibility of reassuring her, which turned out to be unnecessary because she couldn't see Hag, but the right thing to do because once I'd interacted with her, I couldn't either. Sleep paralysis combined with a hypnagogic hallucination is a good explanation for my experience. I can think of no way to compare my fear to anyone else's sense of evil and find objective points of difference or similarity. And there we sit. Just because mine can be explained as sleep paralysis, doesn't mean anyone else's can; and doesn't mean that my explanation is right.

I've been lurking at the Past Life Forum (http://www.reincarnationforum.com/) off and on for a couple of months, and it contains lots of good examples of people interpreting their experiences in terms of their belief system. Just today there was a thread about seeing the faces of people from past lives right before you fall asleep. You'd never know, to read these posts, that such a thing as a hypnogogic hallucination exists or that the phenomenon had ever been studied. A stroll through other special-interest boards would no doubt turn up similar examples. People find a framework that works for them and make everything fit inside it. They're more comfortable that way.

I personally don't want to live in a universe small enough to fit inside my finite brain, so I tend to accept every explanation tentatively at best and hope something weirder comes along.

PeniG said:
IMHO the experiencer is the only one with the right to a definitive statement. I have seen an individual's stories altered by people who weren't there in order to fit a preconcieved theory every bit as often as I've seen an individual visibly goosing his own story in order to make them more interesting.

34 years ago I had an absolutely terrifying "dream" experience as exponentially beond "normal" scary dreams as ranging firestorms are beyond a kitchen match. It is a rare day indeed when some aspect of that long-ago "dream: doesn't replay through my mind.

Yet whenever I post that experience to the lists fellow-posters attack en masse to tell me that my dream could not possibly have been as terrifying as I believe.

And this from Forteans yet!

OldTimeRadio said:
Yet whenever I post that experience to the lists fellow-posters attack en masse to tell me that my dream could not possibly have been as terrifying as I believe.
Point us all in the right direction man.

do you watch things like most haunted i do and i have read a book on this and a person stayed in a room (335 i think) and could see a shape of a body laying on his bed and when he went up to it, it had gone. He tryed to re-make the shape but found it impossible. WEIRD i know.

HenryFort said:
Point us all in the right direction man.

Henry, give me a couple of days to dig it out of the archives and re-keyboard it here. (Yes, I could easily reconstruct it right now from memory but I may as well make the posts as consistent as possible.)

PeniG said:
I'm not certain how people are distinguishing between an "overpowering sense of evil" (emanating from an exterior entity) and an "overpowering sensation of fear" (emanating from the self).

"Fear" is what I feel when I'm in danger of falling off a cliff. "Evil" is when something from Beyond is planning to devour me.

But how do you sense what it's planning? And why are you so sure that sensation is accurate?

If I think something is planning to devour me, I feel fear. I have to imagine what the something is feeling.

Falling down off a high cliff is "merely" physical death. But to my mind (at least) being devoured by the demonic is something EXPONENTIALLY worse.

OldTimeRadio said:
Falling down off a high cliff is "merely" physical death. But to my mind (at least) being devoured by the demonic is something EXPONENTIALLY worse.

Agreed. All bodies eventually die, to my belief, and many others, the soul goes on forever. Gotta be careful where it goes! ;) :)

had similar experience a couple nights ago..

i was sleeping on my friends sofa and i felt a weight next to me which woke me up. i opened my eyes and saw a big black shadow. the shadow sort of fell on top of me and i couldnt breathe- i was trying to pray but no words were coming out. i then realized my friend george was asleep on the other end of the sofa with his feet toward me (its one of those wrap around sofas that holds like 10 people) i started calling his named over and over but my voice was muffled. suddenly the weight lifted from me and i was yelling his name out loud. i dont know what happened next, which leads me to the conclusion that it was a dream or sleep paralysis or a little of both. it was as exciting as it was scary!

I had something similar happen about 5 years ago in this strange old apartment my ex girlfriend and I were living in. I was awakened by that sensation of someone leaning down over me and felt like a hand was pressing down on the edge of the bed like someone was putting their weight onto it for balance as they leaned down. My first instinct was simply to take a page from Ben Grimm of the Fantastic Four as in "It's Clobberin' Time!"and proceeded to throw my fist straight up into where I felt the face of whatever it was would be. Strangly enough I did feel my fist connect hard with something solid like one would expect after delivering a punch to the face,then NOTHING. No sound of anything falling or yell of pain or surprise. The sensation of a presence was just gone. I woke up my girlfriend laying next to me just to make certain it wasn't somehow her that I belted. That was the last time anything like that happened while we lived there though other strange stuff would happen on occasion still.

Man, you are so lucky that wasn't your girlfriend. :lol:

RainyOcean said:
Man, you are so lucky that wasn't your girlfriend. :lol:

Well I had felt her lying next to me snoring while something else was leaning down next to me so I pretty much acertained at that point something wasn't quite right about what was going on. Though I wondered if it was a ghost,succubus.old hag and or sundry alien grey type that was visiting. Whatever it was I bet had a black eye or something for awhile after that particular close encounter. That'll "lern 'em" for mucking about with me while I sleep,though I did wonder if I would be getting some sort of spectral restraining order for punching out my nocturtnal visitor....

That reminds me of another experience i had where i had the feeling something was on my bed, and i kicked at it. I ended up kicking the wall.

I don't know. While I'm always trying to be careful not to be a gullible "New Age flake" who believes just about anything -- no matter how stupid -- at face value, meanwhile I'm weary of this sleep paralysis thing.

Have you guys ever considered that clinical psychology -- which, of course, denies anything paranormal -- has just taken the (obviously widespread) "Old Hag" syndrome and given it a new, clinical name? But do they really know what causes it? Is there a cure?

I tend to believe that those experiences are real. And as to the question how you can discern something truly evil from plain fear that comes from within, you definitely CAN.

Here's a story that happened to me when I was in my early twenties. I had dabbled with a self-made Ouija board (won't go into the details now) and had obviously opened the floodgates and something had come in.

The Ouija board experience itself was not THAT scary, so I pretty soon forgot about it, but from that night on, I would sit at my computer and feel someone was staring at me from behind. Of course there was no one there.

I also started to get horrible nightmares, waking up in a cold sweat every night.

One day (yes, it was in the middle of the day, and I was not sleeping) I felt this being-watched sensation again, and when I turned around, I saw a dark-gray "fog" hovering below my ceiling. It emanated an energy that I can only describe as sentient, and EVIL. You can absolutely feel that kind of thing -- there's no mistaking it for simple fear. It makes you feel like it's gonna eat your soul.

I also had nocturnal astral attacks later, and they feel the same way. Part of it (for me) was that I felt like someone punched me in the solarplexus and then my life energy was being drained out of me through that spot.

I've also been in other dangerous situations, but the fear I've experienced there was nothing compared to that excruciating agony when you feel something invisible is actually attacking you.

My two cents.

faith2faith said:
I tend to believe that those experiences are real.

All experiences are real. It's the interpretation that's disputable.
And as to the question how you can discern something truly evil from plain fear that comes from within, you definitely CAN.

I'm willing to accept the premise that you can. I'll be very surprised if I ever find that I can, and would like to have some sort of comparative description to understand how you can - but I don't particularly want the first-hand experience, and have been on the receiving end of people assuming that they understand my own experience better than I do to inflict it on anybody else if I catch myself in time. But it's one of those annoying reflexes people have, and ironically it's the same reflex regardless of whether you're pushing your own interpretation of an event or discounting someone else's. Our own experiences and preconceived notions trump everybody else's inside our own heads.

Like it or not, sleep paralysis and hypnogogic/hypnopompic hallucinations are interpretations that have to be examined for relevance in every single experience that involves resting situations. That doesn't mean it's the explanation every single time; nor is a physical explanation for an experience always the most important thing to determine. We don't understand these phenomena thoroughly, and we never will if we leap to conclusions about what did or didn't happen. There's been a lot of good sleep research done in the past ten years, and much of it has been written up in popular science form.

Charles Darwin's remark that ignorance begets certainty and knowledge uncertainty is relevant. I frankly don't understand why people who think that sleep paralysis always explains everything about a resting experience ever come onto threads about it - they're not going to learn anything new because they're not paying attention to the data, which clearly doesn't interest them. However, to suggest ways in which an experience matches sleep paralysis is not the same thing, especially if the experiencer has not considered the experience in that light. Some people don't have this information, and some people aren't very good at analyzing their experiences. We can't always tell what category a poster falls into from out here.

My bipolar friend was hospitalized when she experienced herself as a paramecium in a petrie dish and told people about it. I asked her when she was lucid whether this was her attempt to speak metaphorically about the process of her treatment (we've discussed at length the experimental nature of modern mental treatment - to see a mental health professional is to become a guinea pig) or if she really thought she was one at the time, and she said: "Yes." She'd experienced the metaphor as a physical truth, but now that she was lucid she knew the difference. So it's clear to me that even people with severe cognitive difficulties can tell subjective experience from objective, sometimes; can tell when they get mixed up together, sometimes; and can be completely confused on the issue, sometimes. If all that can go on inside one person's head, it's the height of arrogance to think that I can know enough about some stranger on the internet to tell them what "really" happened. But I can know enough to suggest possibilities for them to compare against their memory and apply as relevant.[/quote]

Back