• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

sound and physiological effects

A

Anonymous

for quite some time I have been interested in the physiological effect of soundwaves.

As science proves, everything has a resonant frequency. and sounds when matching these frequencies can cause an object / material etc to resonate.

a good example is that of the story of the office workers who where experiencing ghostly activities, and when the investigators came in they found that an extractor fan was creating a sound wave that had the resonant frequency of the eye, thus causing the peoples eyes to vibrate and alter their perspective of what they are seeing.

also, Jimmy Cauty of KLF fame hit the headlines with his experiments with sonic barrage devices, causing a cow to miscarrage and die.

At one time, a friend of mine where experimenting with low frequencies, and sounds when we discovered one that over pro-longed use, caused both of our back to hurt.

any one know of any good resources that deal with resonant frequency of parts of the body?

There is a good bit it Howard Stern's 'Private Parts' film which comes to mind....

Only joking, FT 153 had a load of stuff about Sonic Warfare etc, but I can't put my hand on it to see of there was any 'recommended reading'. Perhaps someone else can ?

I can't think of any texts that come to mind, very low frequency sound isn't that easy to produce, or at least not for practical applications, so I guess you might be looking for something along the lines of details of military experiments?

If you want to experiment yourself, you could do worse than starting by finding a church with a decent pipe organ, IIRC they usually go down to about 17hz.

Not quite infrasound but much lower than any other instrument, and a good sinusoidal waveform at that!

BlackRiverFalls said:
If you want to experiment yourself, you could do worse than starting by finding a church with a decent pipe organ, IIRC they usually go down to about 17hz.

ah, didnt realise they went so low.

Decad, are you talking about this?

I've heard very little about low frequencies and such, but some "Scientists" like to claim that low frequencies are responsible for people seeing ghosts, as well as aliens, and being subjected to abductions which never happened. And it might well be a good explanation for lost-time that abductees suffer from.

Opinions?

Does anyone else notice when they listen to a melody or rhythm they like it gives you a kind of pleasant case of the goosebumps? I love it. The cause?

Like when you're working late at night coding something, it's a chilly winter night, you've got a nice strong cup of coffee with you, and U2's "One" is playing at the perfect volume?

Yeah... I know what you mean. :)

yes.

this is probably more an emotional thing, rather than a direct frequency causing physiological effects - but it is still very powerful.

Frog - you really in mongolia?

decadnids said:
Frog - you really in mongolia?

Of course not. It just fits in the location area so that I can have a Goo Goo in there. :)

The Frog said:
Of course not. It just fits in the location area so that I can have a Goo Goo in there. :)

ah shame, I've always wanted to go to mongolia... ;(

will do one day,

There's an album that I'd recommend if anyone's interested in music's links with weird altered consciousness type states, and that's "Time Machines" by Coil. It's meant to allow time travel through the use of the drones.

I like Coil. They're mental.

A fine band/project, I just got hold of Horse Rotorvator!

Been looking for the damn thing on vinyl for over a decade and finally they rerelease it on CD. Now I'm just waiting for them to do the same with How To Destroy Angels...

BlackRiverFalls said:
Now I'm just waiting for them to do the same with How To Destroy Angels...

That's on CD- I have it. It's out of print?

In the Coil article that appeared in FT a couple of years ago, didn't they talk a lot about using sound for mind-altering and physically distorting purposes? Anyone interested might have a look in the archives.

Coil in FT? Well, to be honest I can't think of another band more suited.

I saw them live at All Tomorrow's Parties last year and they were really good. They terrified me though. :eek: Quiet droning and mumbling about weeeeird stuff.

I don't have a cite for this, but my engineer friend says that in the 1800s a european church built an organ with a 64' pipe which was capable of producing a 8hz tone.

Apparently when they used it the walls of the building cracked.

Also, if you didn't see it when it was in the magazine, FTs Sonic Doom article is online here.

(Note: the lowest note on a normal pipe organ is 16hz, not 17hz as I said before)

I've been told that the organ in the minster at york has a 64 footer which they do not play anymore as it's considered too dangerous. Having seen the pipes on the right of the minster choir, I reckon this is true!
I have a subsonic filter switch on my amp which cuts out freqs. below 15Hz. which the operating book suggests I keep permanently on.

brian ellwood said:
I have a subsonic filter switch on my amp which cuts out freqs. below 15Hz. which the operating book suggests I keep permanently on.
I bet it goes up to '11' too! :D

I remember reading an interview in Melody Maker (RIP) with Kula Shaker (RI... actually, don't) in which they said they were on a train in India when they saw another tourist being rude to a fakir, who proceeded to hum a certain frequency that caused the tourist to piss himself.

What made me wonder was how he managed to direct it at one single person in the carriage :rolleyes:

I was out on New Years Eve "down the pub" there was loud music playing and when one particular track came on [don't know what] my stomach started to vibrate (I mean my actual internal organ, not my general abdominal area) and I felt very ill, to the point of nearly puking. The vibrating stopped and the feeling passed once the "song" ended, and I instantly thought of this thread (but what with the flu and all haven't been fit to respond). I've never been a party animal mainly because parties tend to make me feel ill - I always thought it was a psychological thing brought on from being bullied at school, now I'm not so sure ... :confused:

The amp is dc coupled throughout so it's possible for it to carry the slowest voltage change through to the speakers, maybe wrecking them. So why did they bother to give me the option? Whatever, it's nice to get the fundamental freqs rather than relying on the brain to synthesize them.
More on thread, I've been to rock concerts near to the stage when I have felt my fundaments vibrating, causing me a bit of concern!:D

Back