• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spam (Canned Meat Product)

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
MANILA, Philippines (Reuters) -- Spamburgers, Spam nuggets, Spam Spaghetti, Caesar salad with Spam, Spam and eggs: the menu at the Spamjam restaurant in Manila could be straight out of the Monty Python sketch.

"I'm a Spam lover," said Philip Abadilla, who opened the world's first Spam restaurant in December. "It's always on my mind."

While the canned luncheon meat will forever be ridiculed by fans of the British comedians, it is a much loved staple in the Philippines.

Filipinos eat 2.75 million pounds (1.25 million kg) of the stuff every year, and woe betide anyone arriving from the United States who doesn't bring a few cans for their relatives.

"It appeals to my taste buds," said Aris Yambao, a 28-year-old advertising executive on his second visit to the red, yellow and blue restaurant in one of Manila's enormous shopping malls.

Yambao was one of just eight people in the half-full diner on Thursday at lunchtime, but Abadilla said he gets up to 300 customers a day and is in negotiations to open two further branches.

First produced in 1937 by Hormel Foods Corp of the United States, Spam became an institution during World War II.

It gave its name to junk e-mail because of the singing Vikings in the Monty Python sketch, who kept drowning out a waitress offering dishes such as spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon and spam.

Hormel, whose Philippine venture helped Abadilla set up Spamjam, is hoping to take the restaurant to other countries.

For people who don't like Spam, such as the female customer played by Graham Chapman in the sketch, the menu also offers hot dogs.

To which the Spam-loving waitress played by Terry Jones would have said: "Urgghh!"

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/03/18/manila.spamspam.reut/

I must resist the temptation...............I must resist.............."spam, spam,spam,spam, wonderful spam,"........"shut up"..........

Of course it has nothing to do with Monty Python, that was just a ruse, what it really stands for is selective programmed adveretising media...or maybe not.

First of all can I say that this is the first time I have posted on here, so you will all have to excuse me if this has been spoken about before.

A while ago myself and a friend were having a discussion about Spam (the canned meat variety) and she bought up the story of a boy who could eat nothing but Spam. Like Spam for breakfast, lunch and dinner - nothing but Spam. Now this young man was supposed to live somewhere in the South of England, Dorset to be precise. If anyone has ever heard of this person or anything similiar I would be interesed in reading about it. I have already searched the net but found nothing apart from sites talking about the other type of spam.

You searched the 'net and could find no sites about SPAM the potted meat? Look again. First you might want to try spam.com.

"the story of a boy who could eat nothing but Spam"

"Could eat" and will eat are two very different things. I can believe, albeit barely, that there might be someone in this wide world who will eat nothing but Spam.

Is there someone somewhere who cannot eat anything other than the canned meat that is "So good...it's gone" (quoted from the official Spam.com site)? No. I cannot believe it.

I used to love the stuff when I was younger. Spam(tm) fritters were wonderful. I was shocked, however, to discover that on Hawaii there is a sushi-like food where it isn't a thin slice of fish on top of the blaock of glutinous rice, but a slice of Spam instead. (Something to do with rationing during the war.) :eek!!!!:

I am from Dorset and there was a lad that I was good friends with who would eat nothing but fish fingers. He went on to be an astrophysicist.

Could this be him?

our parents where good friends and this was truely all he would eat!

Saw a news story (maybe here in Breaking News) about a resturant in the Philipines called SpamJam....and you can guess what they sell there. Nothing but Spam. Supposedly, American GI's in WWII introduced the stuff to the Filipinos, and they've loved it ever since. I dunno. Pretty vile by personal tastes (this from the guy who eats live shrimp, kishka, and czarnina).

live shrimp?

Have you tried the live lobster trend? Mmmmm.

:cross eye

Never tried live lobster. Shrimp are easy enough, being small. A lobster would seem a bit difficult to handle.

I remember seeing a very old man on a talk show a few years ago that had eaten nothing but Hotdogs. He got some award from one of the hotdog companies, Oscar Mayer Ithink. Nothing but hotdogs for I think something like 82 years. I think the presevatives were keeping him alive.;)

The chefs who like Spam a lot

There was a carnival atmosphere at the Spam Cook of the Year contest with finalists fighting for a Hawaiian holiday prize
Damian Whitworth

Smell is one of the most powerful triggers of memory and right now the aroma that has invaded my nostrils has transported me from a dining table in the West End back 30 years to the school dinner queue. Every couple of weeks I would reach the end of the queue and be instantly apprised of the nose-wrinkling, stomach-flipping truth about what was on the menu.

The smell was meaty but mean and unpalatable, as if bits of pig had been stuffed in a can for too long, dug out again and fried up in thin batter with cheap oil. Which is exactly what had happened. Spam fritters. They ruined my childhood lunches and now I feel sure that their modern equivalents are going to do the same again.

I have signed up to tackle a Spam feast. Seven courses of the world’s favourite luncheon meat. Spam cooked every which way. But still Spam.This may sound like the sort of nutty thing people do for charity, but we are at the final of the Spam Cook of the Year competition. After regional heats seven finalists are having their Spam recipes cooked by professional chefs. To be clear, it quickly becomes apparent that not all the contestants have entered the competition purely for the love of Spam. There is also the lure of a week in Hawaii attending the world Spam Jam finals.

Eva Noone cheerfully admits that before she spotted the competition she “had never tasted it before. But now we are converts.” She has created a “Spamdoori” dish. “The name came first and then the recipe.”

Chris Ashley, a medical student at the University of Manchester, claims that he is a regular consumer of Spam. “It’s dead easy to use. I don’t eat it every single night. That would be daft, perhaps every fortnight.”

Spam was conceived in 1937 in Minnesota when one Jay Hormel thought it would be a good idea to do something with pork shoulder off-cuts. A chap called Kenneth Daigneau, from New York, won a competition to name the product. It is generally assumed that the name comes from “spiced ham” but there have also been claims that it stands for shoulder of pork and ham. There have been many suggestions of other acronymic origins, from Something Posing As Meat to Spare Parts Animal Meat and worse. The company insists that while Spam “does include ham and spices, the term ‘spiced ham’ simply doesn’t paint the right picture of what a can of Spam Classic really is”.

A tin of Spam today contains pork, ham (technically the meat from the haunches of the pig), salt, water, potato starch, sugar and sodium nitrate to keep the pink colour.

Spam took off during the Second World War when, because of its long tin-life, it was shipped to troops all over the world. It continued to figure heavily during the postwar austerity years. Its ubiquity made it the subject of popular jokes. The most famous was the Monty Python sketch set in a café where everything comes with Spam: “You can’t have egg, bacon, sausage and Spam without the Spam.” Later, in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Knights of the Round Table “eat ham and jam and Spam a lot”. This was the origin of the hit musical Spamalot.

Spam executives recently decided to embrace their Monty Python tormentors. There is even a Spamalot game on the company’s website. It is thought that the use of the word spam in an even less flattering way, to describe junk e-mails, originated with computer users influenced by the repetition of the word in the Python sketch.

For all the fun that has been had at its expense, the Hormel Foods Corporation is enjoying the biggest laugh. In 2007 Spam celebrated its 70th birthday and in the same year claimed to have sold its seven billionth can. In the US, where there is, of course, a Spam museum in Austin, Minnesota, 100 million tins are sold each year. In Britain sales approach 13 million tins annually.

The world centre of Spam consumption is the US territory of Guam, where residents eat an average of 16 cans per person each year. In Hawaii, the average consumption is six cans a year and it is even on the menu at McDonald’s. This is a legacy of the Second World War, when it was shipped out to the Pacific bases and also fed a civilian population deprived of fresh meat. So today, as the contestants prepare to see who has won a Hawaiian holiday, they sip tropical cocktails amid inflatable palm trees as the theme from Hawaii Five-0 plays in the background.

etc...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 577330.ece

Last edited by a moderator:
I chanced across Mancrates recently, who have apparently discovered you can charge a small fortune for any old bunch of crap if you send it out in a crate with some straw in it.

Their zombie survival crate for example consists of a fecking huge machete plus a bunch of stuff I could probably find in Poundland. What's that all about?

EDIT: I mean, I get that zombies have become ubiquitous in popular culture. But they're not actually real.

And what the hell kind of person says: "You know what I'd really like for my birthday? A fecking huge machete and a tin of Spam."

Last edited by a moderator:
spm.jpg

Someone about 15 years ago, said they liked Spam fritters, can I second that - definitely an old-school School Dinners staple.

And for those who like the stuffing,but not the bird can I suggest:
Spam Birds.jpg

And for those who like the stuffing,but not the bird can I suggest:

in the picture, what does it suggest after garden peas? friend candied something?

in the picture, what does it suggest after garden peas? friend candied something?

"fried candied sweets"

These are fried sweet potato chunks or strips which are sprinkled with sugar immediately after frying.

Here's a recipe:

https://books.google.com/books?id=P5wJFtHCjIIC&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq="fried+candied+sweets"&source=bl&ots=IUpOPfj1Dt&sig=ACfU3U26yoNAeBeWPqtvOHZJIe_kHFZebA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjYxoi0-Z_mAhUHnKwKHWobAcAQ6AEwAHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q="fried candied sweets"&f=false

I travel to Singapore each year and it's popular there too as are other 'luncheon meats' as they're termed. People eat it with eggs as a bacon/ham substitute or often add a slice or two to a bowl of noodles as the protein component.
It's obviously popular here in Australia too as the couple of supermarkets that we frequent have substantial amounts of the stuff in a variety of flavours too. Tabasco Spam anyone?

Back