• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sperm Donation: Oddities; Legalities; Marketing; Etc.

I've heard of lesbians using sperm donated by gay men and um, applied (?) with turkey basters during the 80s. They wanted to conceive, but were not allowed to use then emerging fertility technologies because they weren't straight and married.
But I suppose turkey basters are not widely available in Japan.

Even though it must be deeply icky (I can't think of a better word) to be tricked like that, it seems sad for the child to be rejected like that.
I hope the adoptive parents are good and kind.

A Tokyo woman and her husband trying to conceive, came into contact with a man on a sperm donation account. He claimed to be Japanese, single and a Kyoto University graduate, so the woman and donor had sex 10 times before she conceived. She then discovered he was Chinese, had a wife and was not a graduate.

Hi! My name’s Bob and l’m an astronaut. Can l have a go on your missus?

Complete the following well-known phrase or saying: “A **** and his ***** are soon parted.”

maximus otter

Probably not the right thread but this made me go WTF: with relatively few hospitals in Japan that carry out artificial insemination procedures (strictly controlled access) and only one official sperm bank, there is a reputed social media black market in anonymous sperm donation.
A Tokyo woman and her husband trying to conceive, came into contact with a man on a sperm donation account. He claimed to be Japanese, single and a Kyoto University graduate, so the woman and donor had sex 10 times before she conceived. She then discovered he was Chinese, had a wife and was not a graduate. She gave up the baby to a child care facility and is suing the donor for £2 million for emotional distress and lying in order to have sex with her. As this is the first legal case of it's kind and neither party acting within the law, I'm interested in the outcome.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/13/mother-gives-baby-adoption-dishonest-sperm-donor/
Sperm donation is a big, if murky industry. BBC R4's recent series Male Order covers it in detail.

Jolyon Jenkins' very interesting BBC R4 series Out of the Ordinary had a 2015 episode called Desperately Seeking Sperm:

Jolyon Jenkins investigates the world of online sperm donation and discovers the 'super donors', men fiercely proud of their apparent fertility, who cannot stop giving.

Can recommend both series. Out of the Ordinary has some Fortean themes such as aliens, holy relics, EVP and 'lightning sic before death', when dying or comatose people rally and hold lucid conversations.

A Tokyo woman and her husband trying to conceive, came into contact with a man on a sperm donation account. He claimed to be Japanese, single and a Kyoto University graduate, so the woman and donor had sex 10 times before she conceived. She then discovered he was Chinese, had a wife and was not a graduate. She gave up the baby to a child care facility...
Even though it must be deeply icky (I can't think of a better word) to be tricked like that, it seems sad for the child to be rejected like that.
I hope the adoptive parents are good and kind.
While giving up the child may have been motivated by the general feeling of betrayal, it's difficult not to see racism and classism in this. The woman had sex with a presumably healthy man with the express goal of having a child. That goal was achieved. The fact that the father's ethnicity, education and marital status were not as advertised shouldn't affect the acceptance of the child. Even if the donor was telling the truth, there would still be a reasonable possibility that the baby would grow up stupid, academically unmotivated, and/or looking a little non-Japanese - would that have been grounds for rejecting the kid?

A rather prolific sperm donor.

A Dutch man suspected of fathering more than 550 children worldwide through sperm donations has been ordered to stop.

The man named Jonathan, aged 41, could be fined more than €100,000 (£88,000) if he tries to donate again. He was banned from donating to fertility clinics in the Netherlands in 2017 after it emerged he had fathered more than 100 children. But instead of stopping he carried on donating sperm abroad and online.

A court in The Hague has told him to provide a list of all the clinics he had used and to order them to destroy his sperm.The man was said to have misled hundreds of women.

Dutch clinical guidelines state that a donor should not father more than 25 children in 12 families. They are asked to limit the number of times they offer their services, to reduce the chance that siblings might unknowingly form a couple and have children together. But judges said the man had helped produce between 550 and 600 children since he began donating sperm in 2007.

He was taken to court by a foundation protecting donor children's rights, and by the mother of one of the children allegedly fathered from his sperm.

"The point is that this kinship network with hundreds of half-brothers and half-sisters is much too large," a spokesman for the court, Gert-Mark Smelt, said.

Over 100 of the children fathered by the man were born in Dutch clinics and others privately, but he also donated to a Danish clinic which dispatched his semen to addresses in various countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65429936

Don't these companies or public bodies keep a record of things?
Surely there must be some sort of compulsory database or something to prevent just the thing they are apparently concerned about?
They are asked to limit the number of times they offer their services, to reduce the chance that siblings might unknowingly form a couple and have children together

A rather prolific sperm donor.

A Dutch man suspected of fathering more than 550 children worldwide through sperm donations has been ordered to stop.

The man named Jonathan, aged 41, could be fined more than €100,000 (£88,000) if he tries to donate again. He was banned from donating to fertility clinics in the Netherlands in 2017 after it emerged he had fathered more than 100 children. But instead of stopping he carried on donating sperm abroad and online.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65429936
How on earth did he donate sperm online?

Back