• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spiderman

A

Anonymous

anyone here seen spiderman??

I just saw the Spiderman film last night. Wow what a great picture. Thank you Sam Raimi so much for understanding the comic book so well. I glad that rather than trying depicting a comic book superhero in a stylized version of the “real world” (as is usually attempted in most comic to movie adaptations) Sam Raimi managed to simply capture the marvel comics world on film. I encourage you all to check out this film.:eek!!!!:

Only seen the stills to date. not sure when its out in the UK. However, the bits I've seen actually seem very true to rhe Ditko originals (yes, there are people that old who remember Steve Ditko)

8¬)

I really enjoyed it.

I saw it last Saturday. The theatre was packed. I really enjoyed it, as did my wife. As far as popular comic story adaptations go, this is one of the best (Superman, Batman, Blade I & II & X-Men).

Pros -
T. Maguire was great as SM, very well acted
K. Dunst is HOT!!!
W. Dafoe did a great job as the GG. He displayed the split personality very well
The GG's glider and bombs ROCK!
Raimi's comic carry-over from Evil Dead, in regards to the GG's last line - CLASSIC!
Cameos- Macho Man, Bruce Cambell, the Twin Towers (I'm glad they left them in)...very cool
The 1st half of the film is a bullseye and the last fight sequence was great.

Cons -
K. Dunst is a dull character in the film (made up for since she's HOT!!)
The GG's mask is just awful, there is no saving grace here.
The special effects are hit or miss, some look great and some look piss poor.
The ending was kind of dull...

I'm really interested in the sequal. The money they'll poor into it should resolve the major faults in this one.

Overall 8 out of 10.

Spiderman 3

Ok then what were your thoughts??

I thought it was brilliant, i loved the time spent on developing Peter as a seperate charecter to spiderman and thought the action was good.

I liked the way that it was almost a teen movie with the difference that the main charecter had super powers.

Got to admit i didnt like the way Dr Octopus died maybe because im used to the cartoons however as i was sceptical as to how he would work at all i thought he looked excellent. The whole movie looked a lot less CGI than the first one.

BUT it was a lot more sickly. I didnt like the scene of the first movie when the bystanders say somthin like "if you want to take on one of us you have to take on all of us" maybe being made so soon after 911 it was understandable.

But the train scene in this movie??? and when they say they would not tell anyone??? I had to suspend my belief far more to belive this than i did to belive that there was someone with powers like spiderman. In my opinion (and those of others who are not really super hero fans) it is these kinds of things that make the movie not belivable. Oh and that fact that every house has the Stars and Stripes hung above the door

:mad:

Re: Spiderman 3

Originally posted by Bisto
[

Got to admit i didnt like the way Dr Octopus died maybe because im used to the cartoons d:

Eh? Doc Ock dies! Why didn't you warn us you had a spoiler!
:eek!!!!:

and do you mean Spiderman 2?

Originally posted by Bisto
I had to suspend my belief far more to belive this than i did to belive that there was someone with powers like spiderman.

You mean you actually believed such an entity could exist, by the way is he still portrayed as gay in this one?

But the train scene in this movie??? and when they say they would not tell anyone??? I had to suspend my belief far more to belive this than i did to belive that there was someone with powers like spiderman. In my opinion (and those of others who are not really super hero fans) it is these kinds of things that make the movie not belivable. Oh and that fact that every house has the Stars and Stripes hung above the door

:mad:

I've just got back from seeing it, and thought it was great!

When I was in NY a few years ago, the place was covered in stars and stripes - they're literally everywhere. I don't think that was some kind of exaggeration.

As for Doc Ock - you don't see him actually die, do you? ;) I've got a feeliong that once he's passed out, those arms are going to be dragging him back onto dry land, ready for the sequels! Yeah!

Doc Ock was great.

Spiderman 3

Spider-Man 3 (2007)

Comments: This movie is announced and will begin filming in 2006 for a summer 2007 release

Note:

Since this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change or could be removed completely.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413300/

...just saw Spider-Man 2 though, thought it was very neat. Alfred Molina makes for a great Doc Ock. I wonder who we will see in the third one (of course the ending of 2 gives away a rather huge hint, but i'm hoping maybe there could be room for _two_ villains :)

..Hopefully not Mysterio.

It's hard to leave sufficient spoiler space on this board.

My husband and I went to the first available matinee and we loved it. We're comic readers but not especially Spidey fans. The flaws it has are very comic-booky flaws, so we didn't mind them; in some cases, even enjoyed them.

"The train" is generally approved but has mixed reviews from other comic readers. Some think the passing-him-back sequence reeked "Passion of Christ" but were moved by the solidarity of the train people. Other people didn't mind his being passed over people's heads (which made me think "mosh pit," frankly) but found the solidarity too sentimental. Personally, anybody who wasn't behind Spidey 100% after having just been saved from sailing into New York harbor on an improbably-ending train track (one of the comic booky flaws I mentioned) wasn't anybody I'd want to be on a train with. Anyway, it's part of the emotional formula as established in 1 - Peter feels discouraged and alone and generally put down, but at the climax, when it counts, he gets affirmation from the people he's helping.

If only we could all get that!

As for 3 - we have too many villains to choose from. People familiar with the Marvel Universe will be aware that three future antagonsts have been set up here; The Lizard, Man-Wolf, and Hobgoblin. Or, of course, Doc Ock could be not as dead as he appeared. Not only was there no body, but in the Marvelverse, nobody rests in peace. Heck, Electra got autopsied, and she's up and walking around. I have more than once heard a rumor of Venom, but that'd be a bugger to set up and I don't see the point with all these folks already to hand.

Peni said:
The Lizard

Well Doctor Connors does have a small scene...so my money's on the Lizard. But he'll probably suffer from the "Billy Dee Williams" curse as he played Harvey Dent but alas not in the third Batman.

I loved it to a certain degree, the actual fisticuffs were very physical and had great twists on them. The scene where Doc Oc awakes is quite disturbing for its 12 certificate. It's humour wasn't forced...the guy in the lift shot..."Raindrops keep falling on my head", great stuff from Raimi (and of course Bruce and his chin).
The train sequence did indeed flow pretty well (throwing and catching...genius) though the pay off (I saw it as Christ) was a bit too much. Don't wanna spoil it but the kids and the mask bit.......em.......no.

It kinda went schmaltzy in an unintentional way for me toward the end.

And what happened to Aunt May?

mooks (I'd give it 2 thumbs up) out

Next 'Superman' movie to be helmed by 'X-men' director Bryan

from AICN:
--------------------------------------------------
Warners finally gets it right! SUPERMAN RETURNS! The Confirmed Details Spill To Earth!
Hey folks, Harry here... it is with a great deal of relief, joy and happiness that I can lay out what is happening with the Man of Steel.
As of Today, the deals for Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris have been closed to helm & write from scratch the new SUPERMAN film. This is the X2 team. The team that made, arguably the best of the Marvel Films (arguable only because Raimi nailed the hell out of SPIDER-MAN 2).
The J.J. Abrams script has been completely tossed out. Not of shred of it will remain. That McG ordered SUPERMAN cybersuit (Brilliant Ideas From Mr Hot Wheels, eh?) that Stan Winston's brilliant craftsmen were paid zillions to create is GONE! Today, long time sources like Frosty Skywalker, Sir Etch-A-Sketch and Sir Magnadoodle... those last two have been in the hallways of Warners for the better part of the past decade... and have access to every room. Frosty wrote to tell me that Bryan was signed, and that LOGAN'S RUN and X3 were now dead. While the first part of that is true... LOGAN'S RUN and X3 are not dead. The word from the halls of Warner Bros is that LOGAN'S RUN will be the film that Bryan Singer will make immediately after the Man Of Steel lands in theaters near us all. HOWEVER - if you begin talking to spies at Fox in Tom Rothman's offices and adjoining offices... X3 will be made after SUPERMAN by Singer, or Fox will leave him behind and continue forward with a new director. It'll be interesting to see how the cast will take to that... I know they all love Rothman so. He's a really cute dude, very lovable snugglebunny and obviously the reason that series has been the success that it has been. No, no, really. Ok, maybe that's a fib.
Details on SUPERMAN RETURNS, which is what Team Singer and WB seem to be calling it, are few and far between. But one source, that proved to me today to be quite close to some Warner exec that strikes an amazing resemblence to Lex Luthor himself, hinted to me that this film does not throw the Donner films away and allegedly somehow has something to do with their timeline and history!!! So... from the title, all we're left with is... he must have left, and now he's back. Does that refer to the child of Krypton's absence from theaters, Metropolis, our Planet or what? Will 3 & 4 be canon or merely tragedies? If he's returning, one can assume that he went somewhere, and now feels the need to be back... but why? Where'd he go? Why's he back? I can say though... SUPERMAN RETURNS will not be an Origin Story. We're not going to walk through all that molasses for the umpteenth time, waiting for Kal-El to do something or become Superman again!
The confirmed details are: Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris are on board. It will not be an origin story. And something regarding the Christopher Reeve films and that universe has something to do with this. (though that last one is a shady detail... My source heard that, but when they did... there was no elaboration for the how, what, when, where or why of it.)
I assure you... I'm on this case like Comet, the super-horse! That's right, I'm your super-stud!
While Warners continues to be the craziest most bi-polar studio on planet Earth... It seems they're nailing BATMAN BEGINS... and they finally have a team that I can get enthusiastically pumped up about. Now if only GREEN LANTERN was being done justice the way New Line proposed to Warners in a faithful 3 film Green Lantern Corps super epic. But, a comedic riff by Jack Black... that's just as good right? Sigh. No matter, the team behind X2 will once again have all of us believing that a man can fly!
------------------------------------------------------
Thank God they didn't let that hack McG do it!

Thought Spider-Man 2 was great. I like that it was more about Peter Parker than Spider-Man. They solved the minor quibble that I had with the 1st one, that being that the villan, the goblin, wasn't menacing enough. Doc Ock was great! Molina nailed it. I'd be interested to know how much of the story that Pulitzer Prize winning author Michael Chabon contributed to, since there were 3 people credited to the story.

I saw it tonight and Loved it!
So many cool bits... Aunt May 'beating' Doc Ock...the train...the lift...Bruce...the chainsaw... oh, and Harry getting, um, something to do..!

Role on number three, and if they can't give us the Sinister Six for the villains, I'd settle for Sandman.

The villain I've heard being mentioned for number three is Venom and that has me all excited on the inside. But if that turns out to be lies then I wouldn't mind seeing Scorpion or Shocker stepping up.

Firstly sorry i did mean spiderman 2. Secondly and more importantly sorry to anyone who hadnt seen the film and read the thread. I had pretty much read about all aspects of the plot before going to see the film but forgot others like to be suprised.

I hope i am forgiven.

Somthing that Jameson said stood out to me. When trying to think of a name for Doc Ock, Dr Strange was mentioned but turned down because it was already in use. Now in terms of the films doctor strange hasnt been introduced. Could this mean a Doctor Strange film is on the way?

I figured you had ment Spider-man 2, and I didn't come near the thread until I had seen the movie, so you haven't upset me on any of the two counts.

The Dr. Strange line was nice, but I kind of think it was there as a nod to the comic fans who were watching, rather than as a plug for an up coming movie. But then again, who knows, just about every other superhero is getting their own movie at the moment, so why the hell not?

Dr. Strange

Apparently there is a Dr. Strange movie - dates back to 1978. Some info here

Have not seen that one, anyone else?

Also, googled around a bit: here Marvel Studios Chairman and CEO Avi Arad talks about future Marvel movies. He mentions the Dr. Strange movie too:

Q: What about "Doctor Strange" — which should premiere in a state where medical marijuana is legal, because it was such a '60s head comic?

A: I know, isn't it? We are nowhere with that. That's a tough one to write, but we are working on it. We are trying to find the real Jerry Garcia of the writing community.

[edit: removed an apparently virus-infested link, thanks for the heads up, Timble - my virus software didn't say anything :( ]

Cheers.

Rattus

Re: Dr. Strange

Rattus said:
Apparently there is a Dr. Strange movie - dates back to 1978.

Some info
...so there is hope :) Before i quit ranting about Dr. Strange, i'll share another link to a pretty extensive Dr. Strange resource. .

Watch out for the 'Doctor Strange' site, my SonicWall anti-virus flags up that it's detected something and I'm not hanging round to see what it downloads.

Never, seen the 1978 movie , but I've heard that like a lot of Marvel TVMs of the period it mucks round with the story and isn't very good.

I'd like to see 'Doctor Strange' done now you could actually do visual justice to the weirdness.

The dialogue would be fun too...........

Yeh i had a search and came up with the 1978 movie too. I never really thought that it would have much deeper meaning but no all these superhero movies have been made i would love to see some cross overs. I know legally this isnt possible for example at the moment we will never see the Kingpin in the Spiderman movies as the movies rights belong to different people but it wouldse be fun to see.

Not seen Spidey 2 yet, but surely it ends with Harry Osbourne limbering up to be the Hobgoblin?! Ah come on, it has to be... although that would be incredibly dull IMHO, hopefully they'll bring someone else in too. The Lizard would a good one... they can't waste Venom being second fiddle to anyone else.

Evilsprout said:
The Lizard would a good one

Someone should close OSCORP down. What is that place? A training school for bad guys with sinister six funding?

OSCORP is one of the primary employers in the Tri-State area, and as such is a valuable source of tax revenue as well as providing the military/industrial complex with cutting-edge, state of the art, black ops weaponry. Shutting down the facilities would constitute a very real threat to national security and economic progress. The Sinister Six is quite beside the point. ;)

I think I may have watched a few minutes of it once. I remember it being so bad that even i could not sit through it.

Doctor Very Strange

The movie was on TV a few years ago (it was originally a TV movie, maybe it was made as a never picked up pilot) and was pretty bad, worse part was seeing John Mills hamming it up so badly he actually matched Peter O'Toole's drunken turn in Supergirl. BTW slightly off topic but why does Peter O'Toole on Krypton in Supergirl seem to be wearing very earth like cardigans? Too drunk to fit into a costume or perhaps earth cardigans were given to us in dreams by the Kryptonites?

I loved Spiderman 2, and I'm pretty sure that teh Hobgoblin is a given for 3, but it'd be nice to see another baddy, although I don't think it'd be Doc Ock. Was very happy at Bruce Campbells latest cameo, do you suppose his usher was also the commentator from the first film, just with a change of career, or are they just dopplegangers or brothers?

Nice to see Stan Lee doing the same thing he did in the first one, lots of lovely little in jokes, and a beautiful set up for the next film. i think you can just about buy the train bit as long as your entirely in the moment and do take in the fact he has just saved all of them from certain death, at great physical cost to himself.

Y'know, it's sad that people are having trouble with the train scene. I don't like human beings in the aggregate - we're a nasty species - but I have no difficulty believing that a trainload of people can be grateful enough to forget about e-bay for five minutes immediately after being prevented from plunging to a horrible nasty polluted death in the company of strangers; or that, at the very least, anybody who was nasty enough to want to exploit his rescuer in the first flush of relief would feel peer-pressured into inaction when he saw the people around him behaving well instead of badly.

And would you seriously want to watch an escapist power fantasy movie in which the hero was only ever treated like crud by the people he helped?

People are naturally bad; but a superhero movie is about overcoming that natural tendency and doing good. Why should only the hero be shown doing that?

I really enjoyed this film, it doesn't take itself super seriously and it's nicely self conscious of being a comic book and what has gone before it.

CGI has really come along, the tentacles and the fights on the sides of buildings looked very 'real'.

Um, that and I thought Dr Octopus was dead sexy when you see him with no shirt, what's left of the raincoat and a bit of stubble, there was something nicely sleezy about him:D

Jesus to be Superman!?!?!?!?!?

from imdb.com:

--------------------------------------------------
The Passion Of The Christ star Jim Caviezel may be ready to sign a deal to star as Superman in the long-awaited new film Superman Returns. The hunky actor - who movingly portrayed Jesus in Mel Gibson's controversial epic - is said to be very close to an agreement with studio Warner Bros. despite his agent's recent insistence the part had not yet been offered to him. Big name stars such as Jude Law, Josh Hartnett and Brendan Fraser have already been offered, and turned down, the role. However, according to respected comic book author Mark Miller, Caviezel's participation is all but guaranteed. He writes, "You remember I told you to relax about Superman? That a very, very trusted and experienced director we'd all love was coming over? That everything would be fine? Well, my same good buddy has informed me that Jim Caviezel is officially the new man of steel and what a perfect choice he is. Expect an announcement shortly."
---------------------------------------------------

Back