• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spiders & Rocks

They rely on the wind to swing them over, perhaps?
Strewth, I need to put a plug in it... I need to be told to go away and get out of this thread... lol...

A slight breeze can be helpful for those spiders who weave aerial type webs, but usually (to what I understand) air currents on a windless night are just as workable. Some breeds of spiders spray, that is, float web lines across from one anchor point to another. I know some spiders take their webs down early the next morning, some eating them and some species leave their webs and repair only as needed.

Others don't make webs and burrow underground... Then there's the Bolas webs where instead of weaving a web, they use a sticky 'capture blob' of interwoven web on the end of a thread line. By swinging the bolas at flying moths, the spider snags it's prey, a bit like fishing with a reel and catching a fish at the end of a hook.

A short 1 minute cartoon one showing how a spider weaves it's web once it throws out it's long first thread.....

A BBC video (from a familar commentator) showing how one species of aerial web spider sprays out web strands at a great distance from one anchor point to another...

The sequence this spider uses to take down it's web the next morning...

Back