• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

MrRING

Android Futureman
I was listening to the excellent Unexplained podcast episode Tears, Idol Tears about the famous healing tars of the Immaculate Heart of Mary statue created by Amilcare Santini, which I hadn't read about before as miracle apparitions aren't normally my thing.

However, as the story progressed and they described that the strange liquid flows were consistent with the general chemical makeup of human tears, the thought jumped into my head that perhaps this could be a miracle of a different kind than is reported, a miracle whose roots lie somewhere between science and human consciousness that resulted in a "spontaneous creation".

This idea could have two possibilities.
*** The one with a little bit of psychic power: Intensive emotional strain - as the woman who owned the statue was having in her life - combined with veneration of spiritual entities and concentration accidentally created simple occurrences out of not thin air, but out of the moisture in the air combined with microorganisms that organized into clumps that would be consistent with tears.
*** A pure science non-fraud explanation: a natural but very rare phenomenon that does the exact same thing, pull basic biological material seemingly out of thin air but in reality it is just moisture in the atmosphere combining with microscope life that can create small clumps of seemingly higher form matter. This would make it a little like the likely culprit of the Biblical "manna from heaven", trehalose, but creating a different set of molecules that mimiced but were not actual tears.

Do we have any other kinds of reports that might make sense in terms of theorizing a basic level spontaneous creation?

I can only think of John Needham (1713–1781) who in1745 published a report of his experiment, in which he boiled a broth infused with plant or animal matter, hoping to kill all preexisting microbes. He then sealed the flasks. After a few days, Needham observed that the broth had become cloudy and a single drop contained numerous microscopic creatures. He argued that the new microbes must have arisen spontaneously. It is thought that he probably didn't boil the mix enough to fully sterilise it.

I believe this article is saying that under certain conditions advanced molecules and structures can come into being when the ingredients are at hand and conditions are right:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-30973-6

Spontaneous water-on-water spreading of polyelectrolyte membranes inspired by skin formation​

Stable interfaces between immiscible solvents are crucial for chemical synthesis and assembly, but interfaces between miscible solvents have been less explored. Here the authors report the spontaneous water-on-water spreading and self-assembly of polyelectrolyte membranes. An aqueous mixture solution containing poly(ethyleneimine) and poly(sodium 4-styrenesulfonate) spreads efficiently on acidic water, leading to the formation of hierarchically porous membranes. The reduced surface tension of the polyelectrolyte mixture solution drives the surface spreading, while the interfacial polyelectrolytes complexation triggered by the low pH of water mitigates water-in-water mixing. The synergy of surface tension and pH-dependent complexation represents a generic mechanism governing interfaces between miscible solvents for materials engineering, without the need for surfactants or sophisticated equipment. As a proof-of-concept, porous polyelectrolyte hybrid membranes are prepared by surface spreading, exhibiting exceptional solar thermal evaporation performance (2.8 kg/m2h) under 1-sun irradiation.

Back