• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spontaneous Evisceration

tamyu

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I`ve been wandering around a bit in here, and finally got the courage together to post what happened to me a long long time ago. I haven`t noticed any similar events, so I think it`s safe to start a new topic.

This is something that happened around when I was 5 or 6.
I had just started school, and was overly excited about going, so it had to be pretty early on.
I don`t remember much about the day. I recall someone in the family had passed away, and my grandparents were attending the funeral. I lived with them, so it was normal for me to go with them. This day, however, I remember wanting very badly to go to school, and not deal with the boredom of a bunch of mourning people. So it was suggested that I spend the night with a friend of the family who would drop me off at school in the morning on her way to work. I really don`t think the death in the family had anything to do with what happened - it was just the reason I went to her house.

Anyway, I assume the night spent at her place was uneventful. I don`t remember anything about it, in fact.

In the morning, I remember her sitting me on the sofa while she got ready for work. I know I was already dressed, and had already eaten breakfast. She lived in an old house, so I sat there looking around and saw a tiny mouse hopping across the carpet. My grandparents had mice in the winter too, and I always considered it a treat if I was awake early enough and was quiet enough to spot one. I sat there watching this tiny mouse cautiously hop along when suddenly it stopped, perked up, and looked around. I`d say it was about a meter away from me. I assumed it had heard me breathing and was about to run. Suddenly, it flew up into the air and was literally torn apart before my eyes. I had never seen anything so horrible in my life. It`s head flew off and landed near the foot of the sofa, and most of it`s body a little way away from that.
I screamed, and the family friend came running. She too was stunned at the mouse and started asking me what happened.
I couldn`t stop looking at the body of the mouse. It moved. I swear, the front legs were there and it started dragging it`s body across the floor. I screamed, the friend looked and saw it too, picked me up and took me directly to school without another word.

For a long time, I thought this was some kind of nightmare, until I ran into the family friend. She asked me if I remembered anything "odd" happening when I was little. Of course I did, and she confirmed what had happened. Apparently she took me to school because she was scared to death and refused to go back into the house until her husband came home. The mouse body was still there, but it was against the wall, and they couldn`t find the head. She said it had seriously freaked her out and she insisted that they move ASAP. She also said that there had been other weird things happening - like hearing growling in the basement, finding blood spots along the hallway, etc. They had no pets.

This left a huge impression on me, and I get chills to the point of getting tears in my eyes even now from thinking about it.

A ghost cat? Demon? Evil mice?

Well, the thread's title got my attention! :D

Wow.. I suppose you've already considered rat poison. That, or perhaps a rodent-hating sniper, is the only mundane explanation I can think of at the moment.

I am so glad that it is daylight and I am surrounded by people. Serioulsy weird story.

And welcome to the board Tamyu :hello:

Wow. Now that's a way to introduce yourself to the board. :shock:

Now That is creepy!
Welcome to the board BTW...
PEACE!
=^..^=217

Woooooooo, WHAT a scary story!

Sounds like an invisible cat on on the rampage. Cats generally bite the mouse's head off first to stop it running off.

Whatever it was, it was really terrifying.

I don`t remember feeling any sort of "weird" fear, just shock that this was happening before my eyes. But then again, I was only 5 or 6 and didn`t really think about things like that.

I`ve had a lot of really weird things happen in my life, but I think this was the weirdest...
Next I`ll have to type up the story of my time travelling cat. :)

Really though, it does seem like it was ripped apart by an animal. I`ve seen how cats play with mice, and they do tend to throw them about in the same way. But I`ve never seen one throw the mouse up and rip it apart in the air. They always hold them down before they do that.

Dog maybe?

Oh, and thanks for all the welcomes!

WOW!

Would rat poison really do that? I find it hard to believe.

What gets me is you saying that the body of the mouse was still crawling away, sans head. Or did I read that wrong, was it being dragged away by something unseen?

And, when it stopped and you thought it had noticed you, do you now think that it actually noticed whatever tore it apart?

Great story . . . welcome aboard!

-Fitz

Tamyu said:
Really though, it does seem like it was ripped apart by an animal. I`ve seen how cats play with mice, and they do tend to throw them about in the same way. But I`ve never seen one throw the mouse up and rip it apart in the air. They always hold them down before they do that.

Dog maybe?

Oh, and thanks for all the welcomes!
Sorry to get graphic, but if something bit down on the mouse's neck, with the head in it's mouth and gave it a good shake , i think it would not be too difficult to remove the head.. Just thinking out loud i guess :shock:

i imagine that the motion of the mouse's body after decapitation could have been reflexive. chickens can do that, so i don't see why not other creatures.

Yea things will keep moving after a quick decapitation, chickens will run, as we've all heard the saying..

More mouse-related horror: I once found a stunned mouse in our garden. I took it inside and put it in a box and stared at it. It was cute, and then a little blood seeped out of its belly area and the next thing I knew, the poor mouse seemed to explode from inside. Its guts were splattered all over the inside of the box. :sob: After getting over the shock, I decided the mouse had narrowly escaped the claws of a neighborhood cat but was hemmoraging (or something) internally and the pressure eventually made the poor thing blow up. I like the invisible predator explanation for this (great, btw :) )post, but maybe it could have been the work of an uninvisible cat who was living in the basement undetected? It wouldn't explain why the mouse Tamyu saw seemed to fly into the air before being torn apart though.

Carbide is like regular carbon but more explosive, correct?

I think bulllseye meant sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) that if you feed to pidgeons causes a build up in carbon dioxide, which for some odd physiological reason they cannot release (by belching) and makes them pop..... not that anyone would do such a cruel and meaningless thing.... :)

carbide is a general name given to alloys containing carbon, tungsten carbide being an example some are used in harding drill bits and others in gas mining lamps (i think as a catalyst, but don't quote me on that) etc....

Ooohhh . . . . thanks Frog Of Doom. That makes sense. The mouse got into some baking soda and :splat: .

one day im going to own a pet shop, and the day I do it'll sound like bon-fire night!!!!!

at least that chemistry degree wasnt a complete waste...

Tamyu: did your own home have mice infestations? Or did you or a family member own a pet mouse or similar rodent before or up until the time that your anecdote took place?

hmmm....
I can't really think of a way that a rodents head could be spontaneously detatched without extending a bizarre string of coincidences like:

step one: mouse eats too much baking soda, gets sore belly

step two: mouse runs into table leg at ultra-high speed and severely cracks neck without completely detatching head

step three: mouse clearly not too bothered about horrific injury and strolls into other room, with slight twinges in belly

step four: mouse looks up in shock and explodes, weakened neck snapping and head flung through the air.

not too likely I'll admit readily...
Would seem, without any further information, that something strange was going on. I guess I would have to be there and have video footage of the event to review carefully before coming to concrete conclusions.

We read a short story in high school about a man who was hunting an invisible beast. I think eventually the beast got the better of him, but he speculated that it was a color humans couldn't percieve, hence by definition invisible. Anyone remember this story?

Yeah.. that's by Ambrose Bierce. Forget the title... *runs to the bookshelf* Ah.. here it is. 'The Damned Thing,' I believe.

Edit: man, I love Bierce.. I think I'll re-read some of this stuff. He's like Twain but a lot meaner. :twisted:

Here's the bit you're referring to:

"There are sounds that we cannot hear. At either end of the scale are notes that stir no chord of that imperfect instrument, the human ear. They are too high or too grave. .... "

And so on.. he goes on to describe several acoustic anomalies.

The penultimate paragraph:
"As with sounds, so with colors. At each end of the solar spectrum the chemist can detect the presence of what are known as 'actinic' rays. They represent colors--integral colors in the composition of light--which we are unable to discern. The human eye is an imperfect instrument; its range is but a few octaves of the real 'chromatic scale.' I am not mad; there are colors that we cannot see."

-Ambrose Bierce, "The Damned Thing."

I might look up those 'actinic' rays.. never heard of em before.

Edit: 'actinic' describes rays that are out of our visual spectrum.

actinic rays

Good GOD! The origional post creeps me the hell out...seriously, that's nasty.

Frog Of Doom said:
carbide is a general name given to alloys containing carbon, tungsten carbide being an example some are used in harding drill bits and others in gas mining lamps (i think as a catalyst, but don't quote me on that) etc....

Calcium carbide reacts with water to produce acetylene. It used to be used in carriage lamps, early car headlamps and bicycle lamps, before compact batteries became available. It was also used in mining lamps, and I knewn potholers who used to use acetylene lamps in in the 1970s, (does anyone still use them?).

Carbide Lamps FAQ

An acquaintance (not a foaf) claimed to have exploded seagulls by feeding them bread spiked with calcium carbide....you'll be glad to know I never tried to repeat that experiment.

The Yithian said:
Tamyu: did your own home have mice infestations? Or did you or a family member own a pet mouse or similar rodent before or up until the time that your anecdote took place?

We had mice in the winter (like I said originally) but nothing weird ever happened to them. I used to try to get up while it was still dark in the morning and watch them creep back to their nest in our old gas fireplace. They never caused problems, and we never killed them. They would leave in the spring when it was warmer. My grandmother always felt bad for them and never did anything about them - wait, once she did trap one, and went to drown it by dumping it in a deep bucket of water, but the second it hit the water it leapt out and ran away. So no mouse killing going on around me.
The only pets we had at the time were a cat and a dog. No recent pet deaths either.
The friend of the family had no pets at the time (but later got a bunch of cats to protect from weird mice/things). I really don`t think she was the type of person to poison or explode mice.

About the mouse... It didn`t "explode". It flew up in the air and was sort of pulled apart while there. The head was pulled off first, fell down, then the body sort of dangled in the air before being pulled partially apart. I think I screamed around there, and it fell. (It may have fallen before or after I screamed. I`m not really that definite on that part.)
It did sort of dangle in the air though... Not an explosion as far as I recall.

Quite possibly the nastiest poltergeist story I've ever read. It lifted the mouse, pulled the head off, and dangled the body for a moment ???

I think I'd be a total basket case after seeing such a thing happen. Honestly, I was scared of enough things as a child without ever having anything this Fortean happen to me.

I really have no clue why I wasn`t seriously freaked out by it at the time. I just remember thinking that it was nasty, and that I was glad none of it flew over on me.
It wasn`t until years later that something brought it to mind and I realized just how weird and scary it was.
There are quite a few weird things that have happened to me, and I`d love to get some opinions on them, but I don`t want to flood the board. ;)

Tamyu said:
There are quite a few weird things that have happened to me, and I`d love to get some opinions on them, but I don`t want to flood the board. ;)

My dear, that's exactly why this board is here! Don't let me stop you. ;) *leans forward expectantly*

Oh, and welcome! We're a little nuts here but we mean well. ;)

Back