• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spontaneous Taxi Combustion!

I was driving about in one of these Zafiras and yes Vauxhall were very slow with the whole recall affair. The second recall required replacement of components whether first recall work had been carried out or not. Scary really and no doubt there are thousands of Zafiras driving around that have had no work done at all. Too much of this head in the sand and hope it goes away tactics by large corporations nowadays. Rant over:)

The issue was around the fuse on the heater motor blowing when the heater motor was on the way out (it seemed to be drawing too much juice to start up the motor when the bearings started to wear) and therefore requiring a replacement fuse. There were a lot of counterfeit fuses knocking about on 'the bay of E' and plenty of folks reengineerring the fuses to never blow, so to be fair to Vauxhall I'd like to see how many of the fires occurred with all pukka GM parts in the relevant area.

As to what the root of the issue was, possibly the motors weren't quality controlled or were a bit duff to begin with (the second recall involved replacing them) or the fuses themselves (which on mine were replaced twice by me and then replaced in both recalls). Vauxhall just aren't saying....

both times ive had vehicle fires, 25 years apart, were down to shoddy maintenance (not by me) on ignition circuit causing electrical fires ... first one was while driving somewhere south of san fran, other one was last year, at a petrol station in wales ... that couldve been interesting ... luckily was able to staunch each blaze with close-at-hand take away napkins, old racing forms and boxing magazines

Moment car burst into flames outside shopping centre is caught on camera
By Plymouth Herald | Posted: April 27, 2017

This [5s] video shows the moment a car burst into flames outside a shopping precinct on a Plymouth estate.

The car was parked at Southway Shopping Centre off Southway Drive when it suddenly caught fire.
A fire engine was called from Greenbank to deal with the blaze at about 4.45pm. It is believed it started accidentally.

A fire service spokesman said: "The fire service were called to reports of a vehicle on fire. Fire control mobilised one appliance from Greenbank to attend this incident.
"Upon arrival crews confirmed the vehicle to be well alight. Crews got to work using one hose reel jet and one breathing apparatus. Crews confirmed the vehicle to be severely damaged by fire, the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental."

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/mom...ht-on-camera/story-30299062-detail/story.html

Several photos on page.

I was at a roundabout in Clydebank last year when a family jumped out of their Vauxhall Astra and the thing became a fireball within 5 minutes. It was crazy, never seen anything like it.
It's literally right beside the fire station but the car was a husk even at that.

For some reason, the wiring looms in many cars are susceptible to failure. I guess the wires just jump around in the car and you can get broken wires, cracked insulation, bad solder joints and other intermittent connections.
I've had 2 cars that had wiring loom problems - a Vauxhall Astra that had a broken wire close to the fan inside the dashboard and my current car (Citroen Nemo) which had a wire failure (causing an engine management problem).
Manufacturers could avoid this by making better quality wiring looms, but that'd add a few pennies.

I was at a roundabout in Clydebank last year when a family jumped out of their Vauxhall Astra and the thing became a fireball within 5 minutes. It was crazy, never seen anything like it.
It's literally right beside the fire station but the car was a husk even at that.

Yeah I've seen a car combust and it's a very strange sight as you don't expect cars to just start burning.

Yeah I've seen a car combust and it's a very strange sight as you don't expect cars to just start burning.
In Cornwall recently, a whole scrap-yard of old cars was involved in a huge conflagration:
Gas canister left in car 'likely cause' of Cornwall scrap fire
28 April 2017 Cornwall

A scrap metal dealer has spoken about the moment a huge fireball erupted over his head when a hidden gas canister exploded at his yard.
The fire in a yard run by WH Orchard and Son in Dobwalls, Cornwall, caused an estimated £10,000 of damage.

Owner Graham Orchard said the fire started because a gas canister was left in a car they were crushing.
Cornwall Fire service confirmed a gas canister was the "likely cause" of the fire.
Multiple appliances from across the county were called to the scene at on Thursday afternoon. Relief crews stayed overnight.

Reflecting on the cause of the fire, Mr Orchard said he was angry about the canister being left in the vehicle.
"Somebody brought in the shell of a car and we asked them if there was anything hazardous in it, they said 'no', and we took their word for it," said Mr Orchard.
"There was a gas cylinder placed under one of the seats. Crushing it must have caused a spark, which caused a great fireball to go over my head
"Because people are being charged now to get rid of different types of waste, they try and mix it in with the general scrap, to hide it, and then this is what happens.
"We need to get the message across that it's dangerous to mix scrap metal, people don't understand the risk.
"We've been in business 60 years, but that frightened me yesterday."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-39746954

It's still bizarre how cars, which are mainly steel and glass, can burn so well...

now im not condeming vauxhalls here by saying this (wife had a vauxhall agila which was a good little car) - but i have known two corsa's to go up in flames.
the first was my next door neighbours which set itself alight while she was driving it - completely destroying the car - luckily she and her mate were ok
the second, a neighbour across the road who didnt like me ( a story for another time) hers was parked on the drive up against her house which again set itself alight. i was sat watching tv when i could hear a car horn blaring, so looking out of my window i could see the glare of fire across the road (we have a 8 foot high conifer hedge) so went outside for a proper look, and seeing the car well alight, banged on her door to tell her what was happening. it could have easily set her house alight, I even called the fire brigade, and she actually accused me of starting it!

Watch the dramatic moment a car burst into flames
By LBarton | Posted: May 11, 2017

Firefighters were quickly on the scene after a car burst into flames in Penryn.

The dramatic incident was captured on camera by local resident Larry Peters, who saw plumes of acrid smoke pouring from underneath the bonnet.
The front end of the grey Ford Puma then burst into flames as smoke continued to pour out from the half opened front window.

Video:

The car was parked outside a house in Glasney Terrace, Penryn, and flames could be seen licking from under the front of the bonnet and near the windowscreen.

Officers from Cornwall Fire and rescue Service were quickly on the scene and, wearing breathing apparatus were able to extinguish the fire.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/watch-d...-into-flames/story-30327649-detail/story.html

Not a taxi this time, but a DJ's van:
Watch as Marcellus Hocking, aka Fonzi's van goes up in smoke at Threemilestone Retail Park
By WBgdavies | Posted: June 06, 2017
video: 1m 32s.

This is the moment £50,000 worth of DJ equipment went up in smoke at a Truro retail park this afternoon.
A fire broke out in a vehicle belonging to Marcellus Hocking, aka Fonzi, who runs a fast food truck in the car park at Threemilestone retail park.

Fonzi, who was on his way to Leeds for a friend's funeral, was inundated with messages and texts as the incident unfolded.
He told Cornwall Live: "The van is a total wreck. My DJ equipment caught light. That is £50,000 worth of gear, including a £6,500 speaker and all my CDs.
"It's a life time of savings of equipment. I have weddings and things to do. I will try and sort out some other equipment and have another van I can insure when I get back. Luckily I haven't got a gig this weekend.
The fire was caught on camera by Kalem Ball and shows flames pouring from the vehicle, which was parked right next to the burger truck.

The fire happened just before 3pm and a crew from Truro attended.

"My girlfriend drove to work in the van and connected the electrical supply and went in the truck to start serving," said Mr Hocking. "She is devastated. The fire brigade said it was not deliberate, but it's strange.
"I can't do anything until I get back on Thursday when I will sort out the insurance. The van has been taken away."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/watch-as-fonzi-s-van-goes-up-in-smoke/story-30374791-detail/story.html

Not a taxi this time, but a DJ's van:
Watch as Marcellus Hocking, aka Fonzi's van goes up in smoke at Threemilestone Retail Park
By WBgdavies | Posted: June 06, 2017
video: 1m 32s.

This is the moment £50,000 worth of DJ equipment went up in smoke at a Truro retail park this afternoon.
A fire broke out in a vehicle belonging to Marcellus Hocking, aka Fonzi, who runs a fast food truck in the car park at Threemilestone retail park.

Fonzi, who was on his way to Leeds for a friend's funeral, was inundated with messages and texts as the incident unfolded.
He told Cornwall Live: "The van is a total wreck. My DJ equipment caught light. That is £50,000 worth of gear, including a £6,500 speaker and all my CDs.
"It's a life time of savings of equipment. I have weddings and things to do. I will try and sort out some other equipment and have another van I can insure when I get back. Luckily I haven't got a gig this weekend.
The fire was caught on camera by Kalem Ball and shows flames pouring from the vehicle, which was parked right next to the burger truck.

The fire happened just before 3pm and a crew from Truro attended.

"My girlfriend drove to work in the van and connected the electrical supply and went in the truck to start serving," said Mr Hocking. "She is devastated. The fire brigade said it was not deliberate, but it's strange.
"I can't do anything until I get back on Thursday when I will sort out the insurance. The van has been taken away."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/watch-as-fonzi-s-van-goes-up-in-smoke/story-30374791-detail/story.html

Could be arsonists behind all of this "spontaneity".

Fire rips through taxi parked outside popular Plymouth pub
By Millie_Herald | Posted: June 22, 2017
Video: 2m 24s.

A taxi burst into flames outside a popular Plymouth pub earlier today.
Firefighters were called to the blaze by the Golden Hind in Manadon this afternoon, which blocked the road to traffic.
The video above, by Mel Wheeler, shows the smoke coming from the car.

Eyewitness Bernie Sibley, 65, said that he saw "thick, black smoke" and went down to investigate.
He said: "It looked like a seven or eight seater taxi. The fire was located in the engine of the car.
"It happened just as the children had left school as they were walking down past it.
"The fire crews responded very quickly and the fire was out in no time."

etc... [photos on page]

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/fir...plymouth-pub/story-30405135-detail/story.html

When I saw this headline, I thought 'Arson?', but apparently not. So what's happening to modern cars?
Two cars on fire within a few miles and a couple of hours of each other in Truro and Threemilestone
By Jeff_Reines | Posted: July 16, 2017

Two cars went up in flames within a few miles and a couple of hours of each other. Fire crews attended the scenes at the Truro City Football Club car park and an estate in Threemilestone.

Just after 9am a crew of five firefighters from Tolvaddon Community Fire Station at Camborne found a car "well alight" at the football club's ground off Treyew Road, Truro.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "Five firefighters from Tolvaddon attended a call to a car fire in a carpark off of Treyew road. The vehicle was well alight on crews arrival and was extinguished using two breathing apparatus and two hose reels."

At about 11.30am Tolvaddon was mobilised but stood down as colleagues from Truro Community Fire Station tackled a burning car at Threemilestone. Crew manager Tom Randall said the owner was present as the firefighters extinguished the blaze at the entrance to a housing estate within about 45 minutes. The silver Citroen Picasso was destroyed.

The fire station said on its Facebook page: "On arrival the vehicle was well alight and crews wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire. On further investigation the cause was thought to be electrical."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/two-car...reemilestone/story-30442899-detail/story.html

Back