• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spookiness Surrounding My Cats' Deaths

SleepyPanda

Always sleepy, not actually a panda.
My family owned two cats, brothers: Monty (black) and Louie (ginger tabby). We got them when my brother and I still lived at home, so they were always 'our' cats as well as Mum and Dad's. There were stranger happenings surrounding both their deaths.

Monty:

Monty got very ill when he was ten years old. The Vet advised it was feline lukemia, gave him some medication to make him a bit more comfortable, but it was obvious he didn't have much time left. He was too weak to really move much; he certainly wasn't going upstairs.

The night before he was due to go back to the Vets', we were all prepared for having him put to sleep. I was still at home at this time, and I went into the kitchen to make a pot of tea. Mum and Dad were in the living room, with Monty asleep on Dad's knee. I heard someone going upstairs, and didn't think anything of it until I went back into the living room, and both Mum and Dad were still there. Dad said "I thought you'd just gone upstairs", to which I replied "I thought YOU'D gone upstairs". Mum said she hadn't heard anything, and Dad said "Well Monty certainly did, because he followed whoever it was". We checked upstairs, nobody there. Checked the front and back doors, still locked. Monty slept on my bed that night, which I'd been missing, so that was really lovely. He was put to sleep the next day, but that last night was somehow comforting.

And I'd forgotten about this, but Mum recently reminded me that the next morning, she opened the back door and all the estates' cats were gathered in the back garden. She likes to think they came to pay their respects!

Louie:

When Mum went to get 'the boys' as kittens, she only intended to get the black one as she loves black cats. However, when she went over to the pile of kittens that were all snuggled up asleep together on a chair, Louie wriggled his way out of the pile, climbed up to her, put his front legs around her neck and pressed his cheek against hers. Well, she couldn't resist that!

Mum and Dad had Louie put to sleep quite recently. He was 18 and a half, so a ripe old age. His back legs stopped working, and the Vet said his heart had stopped pumping blood to them.

Mum didn't want to watch, so she went out into the waiting room. While she was sitting there, a man with a border collie dog came in. It went up to her, put its front legs around her neck and pressed its cheek against hers. Its owner pulled it away, saying "I'm sorry, I don't know why he did that, he's never done it before."

I'm sorry this hasn't gotten any replies. I can't add anything to it, but both stories are touching. Pets really are family members and I hope you and your mum found these sweet gestures in sad times comforting.

I wonder if the cats who saw Monty off were like bird courts?

Cats're weird, we all know that. What I've found is that I seem to need an optimum number of cats and when one dies, another turns up to fill its place. We lost one in the summer to old age and another has already 'adopted' us.

Yes, after our Billy went next doors cat started coming into our house totally uninvited. It was like he knew there was a vacancy.

that bastard billy is gone - check
they haven't thrown out the cat food and bowls yet - check
they've not locked the cat door - check

I might just toddle over when I've had a bit of a lick and spruced myself up a bit, (starts licking bottom)

Last edited:
Nothing very weird really, but two years ago our tabby cat Squeak was 13 years old and going downhill fast after her brother Bubble died. My wife and I were taking her to the vet often and had an appointment the next day. Squeak spent the day going round each of her favourite outdoor places, quite systematically - something she hadn't done for weeks. That night she had a severe seizure and we rushed her to the emergency vet but they could only put her to sleep. I would swear she knew it was her last day.

No replies but plenty of likes, there's more to cats than we realise.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that. I've still not got my head round the 'like' system. Mind you, I'm still getting the hang of the new millennium.

Eeee, I remember the good old days you know, sonny...

And cats are ace - little fuzzy purry scratchy aloof predator furbundles, all cupboard love and sleeping on your keyboard. Bless 'em.

I'm sorry this hasn't gotten any replies. I can't add anything to it, but both stories are touching. Pets really are family members and I hope you and your mum found these sweet gestures in sad times comforting.

I wonder if the cats who saw Monty off were like bird courts?

They were comforting, and made me think there's a lot more to life and death, and animals, than most of us realise.

I think Monty was the 'top cat' of the neighbourhood at the time (he was a sweetie, but also a tough little bugger who took no nonsense from other cats), so maybe word got around the cat community :)

And yes, cats are awesome and spooky little critters. The perfect Fortean pet?

"Pets really are family members"

Absolutely. The unwanted cat we took in from some neighbours, who gave in to their kids' demands to buy a dog, thereby alienating the poor cat, has become a much loved and loving member of the family.

I was particularly upset to read a disturbing article on the front page of tonight's Surrey Advertiser about an evil little shit called Franky Mills, aged 19, from Long Gore, Farncombe, Surrey, who has been prosecuted for killing or blinding many cats with an air-gun. He travelled around to Guildford, Woking and Cranleigh looking for victims. I will be following the sentencing with interest and sincerely hope that,whether or not he is gaoled, someone makes what's left of his wretched life an absolute misery and, hopefully, does to him what he did to those poor cats. Fingers crossed for some justice!

"Pets really are family members"

Absolutely. The unwanted cat we took in from some neighbours, who gave in to their kids' demands to buy a dog, thereby alienating the poor cat, has become a much loved and loving member of the family.

I was particularly upset to read a disturbing article on the front page of tonight's Surrey Advertiser about an evil little shit called Franky Mills, aged 19, from Long Gore, Farncombe, Surrey, who has been prosecuted for killing or blinding many cats with an air-gun. He travelled around to Guildford, Woking and Cranleigh looking for victims. I will be following the sentencing with interest and sincerely hope that,whether or not he is gaoled, someone makes what's left of his wretched life an absolute misery and, hopefully, does to him what he did to those poor cats. Fingers crossed for some justice!

I'm sure some cat lovers will have a chat with him.

The bastard is due to be sentenced this Friday.
I am heartened by the news that he "has been told by a trial judge to expect a prison sentence for shooting seven cats with an air rifle.
All of the cats shot by Mills sustained serious injuries losing eyes or limbs one of which had to be put to sleep. The image below is of Coco who lost an eye after being shot in the head.
The trial judge, Mr Robert Frazer said to Mills
'Clearly these are very serious matters - do not go away with any confusion about the likely sentence in this case.'
Mills will be sentenced at Guildford Crown Court on Friday 17th February 2017."

The bastard is due to be sentenced this Friday.
I am heartened by the news that he "has been told by a trial judge to expect a prison sentence for shooting seven cats with an air rifle.
All of the cats shot by Mills sustained serious injuries losing eyes or limbs one of which had to be put to sleep. The image below is of Coco who lost an eye after being shot in the head.
The trial judge, Mr Robert Frazer said to Mills
'Clearly these are very serious matters - do not go away with any confusion about the likely sentence in this case.'
Mills will be sentenced at Guildford Crown Court on Friday 17th February 2017."

I'd like to get my hands on that scumbag.

He's got a nominal 24 months, which means 12 months in a young offenders' centre.
Didn't realise he was from a gypsy background. Possibly explains a lot.

He's got a nominal 24 months, which means 12 months in a young offenders' centre.
Didn't realise he was from a gypsy background. Possibly explains a lot.

Hes a scumbag, but at the age of 8 he witnessed his father stabbing 3 people. Both of his parents were drug addicts. Has to be said that many settled families are also like that.

Whoa whoa whoa folks.

A person's childhood background can have an effect on their actions later in life.

That sentence needs no further detail.

Mkay?

Part of Mills' defence testimony included the "mitigation" that he would hang out with some older gypsies, who would drive around shooting animals and he felt obliged to join in to impress them. A police spokesman welcomed the sentence on Mills but admitted that Mills wasn't the only perpetrator in this case.

Whoa whoa whoa folks.

A person's childhood background can have an effect on their actions later in life.

That sentence needs no further detail.

Mkay?
It can if it results in vocal xenophobia by someone clearly looking to reinforce a fear he already has. And it must be called out when observed. The urge to injure animals is not based on heredity except in those thankfully rare instances of hereditary sociopathy. Are you actually proposing that uneducated, unhappy and probably drunk people of Anglo-Saxon descent have not been known to torture and kill small animals?

Whataboutery never makes a convincing argument.
If I were to state "French is the primary language in France" I suppose you would retort "Huh. Are you really claiming that no-one speaks French in Belgium?"

The perpetrator of these crimes is a borderline obese, young white man, with links to the gypsy community.
The latter is not renowned for a caring attitude towards animals and Mills, it was reported, felt under pressure to shoot cats in order to impress his acquaintances. This was offered as a partial mitigation for his actions.

I am very glad that PETA assisted with the prosecution in this disturbing case, as there are reports that the RSPCA is "afraid" to investigate cases of animal abuse when the perpetrators are gypsies.

It can if it results in vocal xenophobia by someone clearly looking to reinforce a fear he already has. And it must be called out when observed. The urge to injure animals is not based on heredity except in those thankfully rare instances of hereditary sociopathy. Are you actually proposing that uneducated, unhappy and probably drunk people of Anglo-Saxon descent have not been known to torture and kill small animals?

I'm not proposing anything - I'm trying to defuse an argument before one of you gets banned.

Thanks for trying Carlos.

I cannot abide any form of deliberate cruelty, hence my strong criticism against Mills (and his fellow perpetrators) and I cannot accept some sort of cultural peer-pressure as justification for such acts.

This apparently makes me "xenophobic" I.e. afraid of people from other countries.
Perhaps someone should tell my French wife that or my Anglo-Indian ancestors?

Thanks for trying Carlos.

I cannot abide any form of deliberate cruelty, hence my strong criticism against Mills (and his fellow perpetrators) and I cannot accept some sort of cultural peer-pressure as justification for such acts.

This apparently makes me "xenophobic" I.e. afraid of people from other countries.
Perhaps someone should tell my French wife that or my Anglo-Indian ancestors?

We're in agreement on your first two points above. But throwing out a comment like "gypsy background, explains a lot" is useless. In the US we have many fewer romany, and just as much animal cruelty, which has been proven by scientists, that beleaguered group, to be a substitute or precursor to violence toward homo sapiens. Those who are sick will be perpetrators or as in this case fellow-travelers. Just labeling and moving on reinforces the comfort we take in resorting to stereotypes rather than aiming for clarity. This is not a fortean discussion, but I didn't start it. Again in the US, we're very big right now on calling out divisive stereotyping when we see it and I don't think that this forum should be immune.

Back