• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spookiness Surrounding My Cats' Deaths

Ok, fair enough lb8535!
Perhaps gypsies in the US do not have as unwholesome a reputation regarding animal welfare as they do over here and, I can fully appreciate your sensitivity to such issues, given some of the policies your new president is introducing.

In this particular case, the gypsy angle DID explain a lot though, as the perpetrator's defence partly hinged on the peer pressure he felt to join in the cruelty meted out by some older gypsies he was associating with.
Sorry if I didn't explain things very well, but the horrendous cruelty in this case made me very angry indeed.

Also agree that this has strayed beyond the original Fortean remit of the thread, so shall we draw a line under it now?

He's got a nominal 24 months, which means 12 months in a young offenders' centre.
Didn't realise he was from a gypsy background. Possibly explains a lot.

Horrible report in local paper today of family finding their beloved cat decapitated with the head left at a children's playground in Farnham.
I'm reminded that the gypsy cat torturer and killer came from this area and may well be free by now.

http://www.farnhamherald.com/articl...cat speaks out&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

SNARL have been after this killer for years. It's beyond horrendous.

and all the estates' cats were gathered in the back garden.

"

This bit stood out for me as it resonated with an experience we had that began in the march/april of 2005. For a few days we had had a black and white cat, which we hadn't noticed before, choose to sleep under one of the trees in the garden. This we found pretty odd as we owned a very large gsd at the time who liked to prowl the said garden and all the usual neighbourhood cas tended to stay clear during the day at least. On asking the close neighbours we found it belonged to people that had moved in some 4 or 5 years previous and that it usually did not stray from their garden. After a week of it being there morning, noon and night, other than for around 15 minute early evening, I went to speak to the said owners to let them know where their pet was staying. They said it was odd of her to stray from their garden and that she only came home in the early evening to quickly eat and then would run out again, but as she was neutered they were not too worried about that as she would not be out looking for a mate. Her residence under the conifer continued. Now as much as I like all creatures - well apart from earthworms ( my irrational fear) and slugs ( havent yet worked out the point of them), I am not a cat person, however I was willing to leave this cat to do her own thing.

It must have easily been 3 or 4 weeks later, the cat was still camping out under the trees and nipping home for food each night, I had heard a shop not too far from me was holding aura readings, so decided to go have one done and see what they were all about. As I walked into the room and before the aura photo was taken, the lady doing the readings looked at me and said 'ah, so you're the cat lady'. I looked at her and asked her what she meant. She said she would take the picture then we would talk. During the reading she explained I should be surrounded with cats and I said to her that I dont particularly want a cat, she told me that was a little tough as I have one and she had been waiting for me to be ready then she could come to me. At this point I still hadn't mentioned the neighbours cat. The lady went on to say that I had been a healer in ancient egypt in the cat temple in a past life, and had chosen to take on animals no one else wanted or could manage in this life. She said that the cat was waiting for me to help her and in return she would be helping me through a difficult time ahead and that there was more to come. I paid my fee and left somewhat downhearted as all we had seemed to discuss for nearly 30 minutes were cats and I could have done that in the local petshop and not had to hand over money to do so.

The following morning, Mr B opened the door to go set off for work when he shouted of me to go take a look. In the garden there were 14 cats of all colours and sizes lying in the garden, each one looking like they belonged there. Other than the little black and white female, neither of us had any idea who they belonged to or where they had come from. Trying to shoo them off didnt work either, they just continued to look at us and continue lounging. Gradually over the next few days, the number of cats frequenting the garden dwindled once again to the one lone female. By this point, she would sit on the doorstep if we had all gone out and wait there until we came home, when she would jump onto the swinging seat and await strokes and cuddles. Throughout summer, Kitty, continued to spend all her time in the garden, she didnt bother the dog and the dog didnt bother her and she had no interest in the wild birds that came down to feed, other than to give them a cursory glance. In the middle of august and very unexpectedly, my mum died. Her birthday was the end of august. Kitty went back home as suddenly as she came at the beginning of september that year and although we would see her sitting on her owners wall, as far as we know, she never came into our garden again. Her owners informed us that Kitty died just before christmas 2007 - she has since that time come to visit us in spirit form quite often - so I do have a cat, just as the aura lady said!

Last edited:
Re. the post from a while back mentioning the cats in the garden - on a more mundane level, something similar happened when our cat (aged about 21) died, a couple of years back and I put it down to cats being so territorial. She was tiny, because she was run over as a kitten and stopped growing. And she had three legs thanks to her accident. But she ruled the local area's other cats with a paw of iron (the front paw she still had). All the local cats seemed terrified of her and stayed out of the gardens, front and back, for almost her entire life although there started to be incursions when she was old, she would go out and fight them and that would be it.

My then neighbour was a cat hoarder (when she moved out my kids counted 30 odd cats in her garden she'd left behind - mainly ferals she was feeding) but only one or two of those ferals ever ventured into our garden. My sons adopted one of the neighbour's abandoned house cats, because it stood behind her freezer in the outhouse and literally cried all day every day. My cat hated this adopted cat but allowed it to share her airspace - beating it up if it got too close.

But... in the days after our Stalin-like cat died, we noticed the ferals and other local pet cats, started appearing a lot in our garden - they definitely knew she had gone, and it was safe to venture in (despite the dog).

I think they are so territorial and also so wired in to who is on which territory, that they know when a space is vacated, and are sort of programmed to move in on it, and that's all that probably was.

In our cat's last couple of years when she was outside less often, there were little incursions but she owuld still go out and fight them. The only cat who ever seemed to win her was a jet black feral - my cat hoarding neighbour had mentioned that this one had fought all her cats, too - and I saw this in our back garden, for the first time, only a few days ago. Haven't seen it for a couple of years. It's a real bastard of a cat - there is no mistaking it.

So he might have taken this territory over. I now have a dog who is half jack russell and will chase anything she sees so our garden is usually cat free.

I think like any predator, they are just very alert to what other cats are where, and maybe sense or smell, when another cat is very ill so likely to vacate the premises...

We usually have 4 cats, which are always acquired as rehomes from people who can't look after them. The current number is 3! Where is our fourth cat?

We usually have 4 cats, which are always acquired as rehomes from people who can't look after them. The current number is 3! Where is our fourth cat?

It is on it's way escargot, it's on it's way ;) I beleive if something or someone is meant to be with you, then it/they will find the way to be there :)

It is on it's way escargot, it's on it's way ;) I beleive if something or someone is meant to be with you, then it/they will find the way to be there :)

I have no doubt whatsoever! Techy might moan a bit but he'll come round.

We did take in an elderly cat from a neighbour who was going into a care home but she died after four months. Whisky was very old and seems to have made her way to her old house on the coldest night of last winter after a big meal. She knew what she was doing and where she was going.

So c'mon little Kitty, we're ready!

I have no doubt whatsoever! Techy might moan a bit but he'll come round.

We did take in an elderly cat from a neighbour who was going into a care home but she died after four months. Whisky was very old and seems to have made her way to her old house on the coldest night of last winter after a big meal. She knew what she was doing and where she was going.

So c'mon little Kitty, we're ready!

What a bittersweet tale escargot - is the neighbour still alive by any chance? Just wondering if the cat knew her original owner had died and she chose to go back 'home' to her/him. If the neighbour is still alive, then perhaps you still have your 4th cat after all ;):)

The owner had died by then, he didn't last long. He was a war hero! He was part of a small crew of Marines who rowed from ship to ship in total darkness and radio silence personally handing over orders to captains for D-Day.

Whisky certainly did go back to Cyril. She had stayed in during the cold nights until that time. I think she knew it was time and he was calling her.

Been a long time lurker and use to have an account.

Find this thread fascinating. When my little girl was born the first time I took her out on my own all the cats in the neighborhood came to see her. I was faffing around getting her in the car and had put her in the car seat on the floor. We live in a very rural area in jersey, UK.

Suddenly there were about six cats walking round her. I'd seen them individually before but never altogether. She wasn't crying or doing anything to attract them.

Funny thing is there is a tradition in jersey with some old residents that they give new borns some silver. My little girl was given quite a bit and one person in particular basically looked at her and said she had a special soul and a magical name. The lady looked like a friend of granny weatherwax and I've always loved these two occurances.

Sorry bit of a ramble!

My family owned two cats, brothers: Monty (black) and Louie (ginger tabby). We got them when my brother and I still lived at home, so they were always 'our' cats as well as Mum and Dad's. There were stranger happenings surrounding both their deaths.

Monty:

Monty got very ill when he was ten years old. The Vet advised it was feline lukemia, gave him some medication to make him a bit more comfortable, but it was obvious he didn't have much time left. He was too weak to really move much; he certainly wasn't going upstairs.

The night before he was due to go back to the Vets', we were all prepared for having him put to sleep. I was still at home at this time, and I went into the kitchen to make a pot of tea. Mum and Dad were in the living room, with Monty asleep on Dad's knee. I heard someone going upstairs, and didn't think anything of it until I went back into the living room, and both Mum and Dad were still there. Dad said "I thought you'd just gone upstairs", to which I replied "I thought YOU'D gone upstairs". Mum said she hadn't heard anything, and Dad said "Well Monty certainly did, because he followed whoever it was". We checked upstairs, nobody there. Checked the front and back doors, still locked. Monty slept on my bed that night, which I'd been missing, so that was really lovely. He was put to sleep the next day, but that last night was somehow comforting.

And I'd forgotten about this, but Mum recently reminded me that the next morning, she opened the back door and all the estates' cats were gathered in the back garden. She likes to think they came to pay their respects!

Louie:

When Mum went to get 'the boys' as kittens, she only intended to get the black one as she loves black cats. However, when she went over to the pile of kittens that were all snuggled up asleep together on a chair, Louie wriggled his way out of the pile, climbed up to her, put his front legs around her neck and pressed his cheek against hers. Well, she couldn't resist that!

Mum and Dad had Louie put to sleep quite recently. He was 18 and a half, so a ripe old age. His back legs stopped working, and the Vet said his heart had stopped pumping blood to them.

Mum didn't want to watch, so she went out into the waiting room. While she was sitting there, a man with a border collie dog came in. It went up to her, put its front legs around her neck and pressed its cheek against hers. Its owner pulled it away, saying "I'm sorry, I don't know why he did that, he's never done it before."
lovely memories

Been a long time lurker and use to have an account.

Find this thread fascinating. When my little girl was born the first time I took her out on my own all the cats in the neighborhood came to see her. I was faffing around getting her in the car and had put her in the car seat on the floor. We live in a very rural area in jersey, UK.

Suddenly there were about six cats walking round her. I'd seen them individually before but never altogether. She wasn't crying or doing anything to attract them.

Funny thing is there is a tradition in jersey with some old residents that they give new borns some silver. My little girl was given quite a bit and one person in particular basically looked at her and said she had a special soul and a magical name. The lady looked like a friend of granny weatherwax and I've always loved these two occurances.

Sorry bit of a ramble!
Nice story. This is related, but not thru cats. One spring day shortly after my son was born, would have been in late March early April, I bundled him up and we went out to the two seater swing to sit for awhile and get some air. He was propped up in the corner while we gently rocked back and forth. It was very quiet. After several minutes, I looked over to the back of the house on the neighboring street, which overlooked my next door neighbors' and our yards. There, on the landing outside this house, the little porch off the kitchen door, stood an old lady, a very old lady, clutching the railing and staring at us. She didn't seem kindly, she seemed fierce. Fairy Blackstick come to look at the new baby? I tried to respond to her in a friendly manner, but she was indomitable. Not interested in a friendly wave or hello. Im not the type of person that thinks blessings are only delivered thru a kindly attitude. I respected her fierceness more. She stared at us for awhile, and when it got just too much I took the baby and we hid on the side of the garage!! When we reemerged, she was gone. I never saw her again. In fact, despite living there for 13 years, and being in the back yard constantly with the kids, dogs and cats, I never saw her again. We never saw ANYONE in that house, or going in or out.

(points for anyone getting the Thackery reference.)

Back