• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spooky New Orleans

A

Anonymous

I was lucky enough to visit New Orleans a few weeks ago, and in reading up on the place in the Rough Guide there's an awful lot of Forteana on offer. Unfortunately I didn't get to see much of it first hand as my visit was all too brief, and there were plenty of bars and bare breasts on Bourbon Street which were higher on the agenda.
Anyway, here's some snippets I found already, probably the better known stuff. If there's any other tales from that area then here's the place to put them!

Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen

Voodoo, today practiced by around fifteen percent of the city’s population, was brought to New Orleans by African slaves via the French colonies of the Caribbean, where tribal beliefs were mixed up with Catholicism to create a cult based on spirit-worship. French, and later, Spanish authorities tried to suppress the religion (voodoo-worshipers had played an active role in the organization of slave revolts in Haiti), but it continued to flourish among the city’s black population. Under American rule, the weekly slave gatherings at Congo Square (in today’s Louis Armstrong Park), which included ritual ceremonies, turned into a tourist attraction for whites, fueled by sensationalized reports of hypnotized white women dancing naked.

Unlike in the West Indies, where the cult was dominated by male priests, New Orleans had many voodoo priestesses. The most famous was Marie Laveau, a hairdresser of African, white and Native American blood. Using shrewd marketing sense and inside knowledge of the lives of her clients, she prepared gris-gris – spells or potions – for wealthy Creoles and Americans, as well as Africans. Laveau died in 1881, when another Marie, believed to be her daughter, continued to practice under her name. The legend of both Maries lives on, and their tombs are popular tourist attractions.

The gruesome story of the LaLaurie House.

New Orleans is the home of Anne Rice, Vampire Chronicles author.

And the Cities of the Dead - in New Orleans people have to be interred above ground. Due to the city being at sea level, buried corpses had a habit of rising back to the surface....

when i went

It turned out that the place i was staying on St. annes street was just a little up the road from marie laveau's old abode... Did you visit the historic voodoo museum? that is a fascinating place.

Unfortunately I didn't (see above excuse) which is very poor as it's on the "must-see" list.

voodoo

outside of NOLA, voodoo is such a hidden part of the culture here in south louisiana. it gets filtered down generation after generation to the point where almost anyone of creole descent has a basic working knowledge of it(mostly girls for some reason -- i guess their mothers pass it to them thru gossip and storytelling.)

New Orleans isn't the only home of the Necropolis. even my small town has a City of the Dead. my great uncle, uncle, grandfather are all in raised crypts(which, sadly, have started to flood a bit) and various other relatives are in totally above ground vaults. the pretty morbid thing about family plots is that when the next person dies, the remains of the last person are taken out, put in a bag and are shoved in the corner to make room for the next coffin. some vaults can be 6 chanbers wide and two or 3 chambers tall. i've spent the past two years photographing the St. Michael's cemetary here and have basically gotten all the different types of vaults and tombs on file. the oldest one's date back to the very early 1700's. the granite and marble work is just spectacular...urns, shrouds, angels crying, child-like angels, wrought-iron hourglasses with wings, iron gates and fences for the richer family plots, and in the poor section, lots of folk art and silver paint. i've even found one very decayed and unkept vault in which you can look straight down at a skull, jaw, clothes, casket nails and metal-work...i was very surprised no one has repaired it yet. another sad thing is unclaimed vaults, even old and beautiful ones, get torn down. i was lucky enough to snap a shot of a very big one before and after they put a big black X on it and then broke it down. i was very disappointed it had to go...you could see it from all the way down the street.

if any of you go back to NOLA, you MUST check out Pauper's Field. it's a cemetary where they bury the homeless and the very poor. morbidly enough(as everything in this state goes) they just stick the bodies straight in the ground, sometimes without any type of funereal container, so it's not uncommon to come across a hand or foot sticking out of the earth. you can see a LOT of tombstones decorated with folk art and tinges of voodoo...very very elaborate memorials made of dolls, beads, cardboard, aluminum foil, etc etc.

but yes, i love my state, as backwoodsian as it is, because of all the folklore, churches, cemetaries and generally fortean nature of it. one more thing...one documentary stated that the yellow mansion across the street from here is haunted...but i haven't seen any activity yet. i hate it when certain people inflate the spookiness of this place *sigh*

laveau

there are actually two shops with her name...one real and one a tourist trap. the one on Bourbon St. seems a little tacky and may be the tourist-y one, but i may be wrong.

That town is chock-full of spooks. I've had the pleasure of working and playing there. The St Louis Cemetaries are amazing.

So is Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, on the corner of Bourbon and [somewhere--St Charles?--I do enjoy my refreshments whilst in the Big Easy]. When you pass by during the day it looks like it should be condemned. The oldest free standing building in the Quarter--apparently survived the big fire out of pure meanness. At night it's a rolicking (and seedy) bar. Supposedly haunted, but at five in the morning a lot of people look like spooks! Highly recommended.

Also recorded in what was formerly Kingsway studios, in the Quarter on the corner of Chartres and Esplanade (now is a private domicile). Haunted as hell. Encounters can be found in "Anybody seen a spook" thread.

Likewise, a friend of mine told me of coming home to his NOLA apartment one afternoon to see his neighbors being evicted by their spook--the furniture was flying out of the front door as they stood on the lawn screaming!

Marvellous town.

suffocating

i love how Jhon Balance says it was "suffocating". i take that as a compliment.

stay out in jackson square after midnight and you'll see all the black magick fortune tellers come out...it's quite an awsome sight.
total change from the white magick fortune tellers of the day.

have any of you been to the Voodoo/Tribal Exchange shop? it's full of mosaic-covered skulls, St.Peter Skeletons, antiquated charts depicting conjoined twins, kama sutra scrolls and all forms of generally interesting and freaky stuff.

if you go to the wax museum the curator will tell you of a murder resulting in spectral ativity...they even have an exhibit showing the murder.

i know i blab, but i finally have an interested audience ;)

A note on the LaLaurie House story. The account of what happened there given in the Rough Guide was far more tame (though still shocking) than the link I gave above (which told a typical story found by a web search). Like a berk, I threw the relevant pages away as I'd torn them out to take with me when I went.
I learned on another site the following excerpt:

"There were holes in skulls, where a rough stick had been inserted to stir the brains. Some of the poor creatures were dead, some were unconscious; and a few were still breathing, suffering agonies beyond any power to describe."

"The man who smashed the garret door saw powerful male slaves, stark naked, chained to the wall, their eyes gouged out, their fingernails pulled off by the roots; others had their joints skinned and festering, great holes in their buttocks where the flesh had been sliced away, their ears hanging by shreds, their lips sewed together, their tongues drawn out and sewed to their chins, severed hands stitched to bellies, legs pulled joint from joint.

Excerpt from Ghost Stories of Old New Orleans by Jeanne deLavigne, pub 1946
"The Haunted House of the Rue Royale" pp.248-258

A book of "Ghost Stories" immediately rings alarm bells regarding factual content. I reckon there's a heap of "mad scientist" embellishment on top of a story that I guess someone deemed wasn't horrible enough already.

There seems to be a whole branch of ghost stories related to the appalling suffering and brutality meted out to slaves in the Deep South in the last century.

spooky n.o.

I recently sailed through the locks going by New orleans, It was weird looking down at the city, the water being higher and all /I was sailing to Galveston tx-in a 45 footer we had to come in for storming weather and stick close to coast for awhile (dodged) 3 water spouts! out in the Gulf felt like I was in "the Perfect Storm" it was just two of us.. it is a weird place though when you see all the old shacks along the water ways (we also took a trip down part of the mississippi) right out of" Pirates of the caribean "ride at disney land. I could'nt wait to get back to the open sea after a while though ... if you know what I mean.. some of the places we cruised by.. had some strange looking folks, woooow!:eek!!!!:

Halloween Fun at The House of Shock!

The House of Shock is a haunted house located 5 minutes outside of New Orleans, Louisiana. Over the last 10 years The House of Shock has become a local legend based on it's intensity, extreme content and the dedication of it's members.

The House of Shock's beginnings were far more humble than the ferocious, unrelenting, in your face 'horror show' that it is today. House of Shock began in a backyard in 1992. It was the sick creation of founding members/owners Phil Anselmo (notorious front-man for the heavy metal band Pantera), Ross Karpelman, and Jay Gracianette. It all began with a discussion between these three friends about what true horror really is and how Halloween wasn't fun anymore now that they were all grown up. As a result of this discussion The House of Shock was born.

Over the next nine years The House of Shock has evolved into a massive Halloween event drawing horror enthusiasts from all over the w orld to it's unholy grounds. In our 3rd year two monumental events took place. The House of Shock moved out of the backyard and into a large warehouse and we recruited Steven Joseph who turned out to be an invaluable part of our twisted family. Steve is a jack of all trades. Not only is he the head of our security team and chief pyrotechnic but drawing from his expertise as a tour manager for many successful bands, Steve holds the position of The House of Shock business and operations manager.

Every year that we have been in operation House of Shock has grown in size, cast and popularity. This, our 11th season is far more elaborate than anything that could have been imagined. We are now located in a 17,000sq ft warehouse. There is a stage show before entering the actual haunted house complete with pyrotechnics done twice nightly to the delight and horror of the waiting crowds. Once inside you will soon realize that this is no normal run of the mill haunted house. The House of Shock is an assault on all of your senses, playing on every fear imaginable. We have a second stage with strange and unusual acts from all over the world. Acts like Reverend B. Dangerous (you may have caught his act at past Ozzfests) performs his unique freak-show to the delight and disgust of waiting House of Shock patrons. To pass the time we have carnival style games, a House of Shock merchandise store, food and a full bar to help relax even the most terrified adult thrill seeker!
http://www.houseofshock.com/home.html

The Bizarre Big Easy (thats Norleans to the rest of us)

Cemeteries get eerie in Big Easy, land of voodoo, ghosts and jazz

October 17, 2004

BY CRAIG GUILLOT
FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

NEW ORLEANS -- On a quiet October night, the back streets of the French Quarter can be an unnerving place. Never mind the thieves or shady characters, the dark underbelly of what is often known as America's most haunted city bears the scars of a brutal history.

Cool breezes blow through the walkways of 18th-Century buildings, the clacking of horse carriages echo off the brick walls and the white facade of the St. Louis Cathedral rises above it all. Throw in paranormal activities, voodoo practitioners and creepy graveyards, and it's enough to send shivers down anyone's spine.

Every October, thousands of travelers descend upon the Crescent City in search of horror and hauntings. Costumed guides lead visitors through crumbling cemeteries, the drumming of voodoo rituals thump through the walls of homes and reported sightings of ghosts come from every crack and crevice in the French Quarter. This is a city that takes no shame in its macabre attractions and history of horror and death.

According to the Historic Voodoo Museum, New Orleans has the highest concentration of voodoo practitioners outside Haiti. It estimates that as many as 15 percent of the city's residents participate in the practice in one form or another. Signs of voodoo, from simple candles to full-fledged altars, can be found in homes, bars, hotels and shops across the city. In places such as Reverend Zombie's and Voodoo Authentica, shelves are stocked with everything from gris-gris bags (custom herbs and oils for specific purposes) and ju-jus (a blessed object to keep evil and negativity away) to candles and incense.

While there is no credible documentation of the introduction of voodoo in North America, most scholars agree that it was first imported to New Orleans with the introduction of the slave trade around 1510. Human labor -- and its cultures -- was imported from French colonies such as Guadeloupe, Martinique and Santo Domingo, as well as Africa. Unable to practice their own rituals out of fear of death, slaves quickly recognized the similarities between their religions and the Catholicism practiced in New Orleans. Substituting the names of their African deities with the names of the saints, they disguised their religions from the general public. Even today, this multifaceted aspect plays an integral part of New Orleans voodoo. Most practitioners are also devout Catholics.

New Orleans voodoo legend Doctor John (a.k.a. Bayou John) was a master drummer and free African who had traveled the world. Described as a large man with a face tattooed with red and blue snakes (the tribal markings of Senegalese royal family), he was sought by blacks and whites alike for his herbal medicines and fortune-telling.

The most famous voodoo queen, Marie Laveau, used a variety of talents to establish herself and gained the respect and confidence of New Orleans elite.

While voodoo is similar to Catholicism and a number of other, more earthly, religions, it has a significant image problem, often being dismissed as primitive or evil due to portrayal in films with human sacrifices and bloodletting rituals. Nevertheless, it's the mysterious image that beckons the curiosity of travelers. And, while local voodoos show disdain that their beliefs are portrayed as evil, many are quick to sell tourists voodoo dolls and potions to conjure up revenge.

Snakes, skeletons, altars and alcohol still play a large part in traditional New Orleans voodoo rituals, a few of which are accessible to intrepid travelers. Along with St. John's Eve (June 23), Halloween night is one of the most important nights of the year for voodoos, a time to honor spirits and ancestors.

Cemeteries convey haunted history

In a place where the dead are honored, it's natural they are sent to their resting places with a celebration. Since the city was first established, prominent musicians and politicians have been sent off to the cemeteries in jazz funerals, joyous occasions in which beers and trombones outnumber tears and flowers.

The roots of these burial rituals are traced back to Africa. It all ends in the cities of the dead where histories of mystery, danger, disease and horror lie encased in massive crypts. Behind the rusty iron gates, the ghost-white tombs lie adorned with crosses and angelic statues that exude both beauty and mystery.

Since the city was founded in 1718, the dead in New Orleans have never been content staying in the ground. Corpses buried on the banks of the muddy Mississippi river once washed into city streets, and those buried within the city often broke from their coffins and rose to the surface during floods and heavy rains.

Even today, heavy flooding can bring up bones in some of the older cemeteries. It wasn't until Mayor Esteban Miro in the 1780s adopted Spanish-style wall vaults that New Orleans finally kept its rotting corpses and skeletons off the streets.

There are more than 40 cemeteries in the New Orleans area, each with its own legends and histories. Nestled in the historic neighborhood of Treme, St. Louis No. 1 (there are two other St. Louis cemeteries) was founded in 1789 and is the city's oldest.

Many historical figures are buried here including Ernest Morial, the city's first black mayor, and Laveau. To this day, many still leave offerings and mark an X on her tomb, evidence of those who have asked for her wishes.

Built in 1872 on what was once the Metairie Race Course, Metairie Cemetery is the first cemetery to be patterned after the park-like cemeteries of the East. There are more than 150 acres of mystifying tombs and statues, many of which take influences from around the world. There's a tomb designed with Egyptian influences, another modeled after a Greek temple and even a memorial to the Louisiana division of the Army of Northern Virginia, which fought in the Civil War.

Set as the filming location for a number of movies, including "Double Jeopardy," "Interview with the Vampire" and "Dracula 2000," Lafayette No. 1 is another of one of the city's best-known cemeteries.

Built on the Livaudais plantation in 1833 and originally established as a cemetery for the City of Lafayette, this was the city's first planned cemetery and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a setting in many Anne Rice novels, and a number of German and Irish yellow fever victims are buried here.

Paranormal powers abound

Doing away with the fear of death altogether, there are some in the city who believe immortality can be achieved through vampirism. Even before Rice brought her vampires to the Big Easy, gothic types had sought New Orleans as a dark sanctuary.

While those aspects of vampirism -- eternal life, creation of vampires through biting on the neck -- portrayed in movies is no more than fiction, Rice's "Interview with the Vampire" efforts have resulted in dozens of dark landmarks, which can be visited on vampire tours.

There is also a group called the Louisiana Area Vampire Association. (It is said some people who are into vampirism go so far as to engage in consensual blood drinking.) Les Temps des Vampires, a vampire ball spawned by Anne Rice fans, draws a wide mix of tourists, fans and "real" vampires.

Even without the children of the night, the French Quarter can be plenty scary, a Halloween natural. With a history of disease, death, war and murder, it's no surprise the place is a paranormal playground littered with horrific tales. One such legend is that of the "Axeman of New Orleans," a serial killer who was reputed to have butchered 13 people with an axe between 1911 and 1919. To this day, it is often disputed whether the killer was found; some believe it was the work of a ghost.

Such stories can be found in every corner of the city from the oak-shaded streets of Uptown to the cobblestone alleys of the French Quarter. The Beauregard-Keyes House, one of the most famous, was the former home of Confederate Gen. Pierre Gustave Toutant de Beauregard, who took over as commanding officer of the Southern troops at the battle of Shiloh. It is said that at 2 a.m. on moonlit nights, he and his troops materialize in the hallway near the ballroom.

The LaLaurie House, considered one of the most haunted places in the French Quarter, often had trouble keeping residents throughout the 1800s and 1900s due to reported ghostly activities.

It was said Madame LaLaurie, a socialite who lived there in the 1830s, tortured and abused her slaves, but in 1834 when a fire broke out at the residence, firefighters discovered one of the most brutal scenes in the city's history. Slaves had been chained to the wall, tortured, mutilated, disemboweled and decapitated. Madame LaLaurie, reports say, got away.

Ghosts might love the city but they seem to haunt the countryside in even greater numbers.

Few places in the world have received such haunted press as the Myrtles Plantation in the small town of St. Francisville.

Legend says there have been at least 10 suicides and homicides on the property since it was settled in 1796. Paranormal events have been documented there, and the house remains on the Smithsonian Institution's list of most haunted places in the world.

Those who make the two-hour trip upriver and opt to spend the night at the plantation during Halloween might be in for one of the most haunted experiences of their lives.

http://www.freep.com/features/travel/neworleans17e_20041017.htm

If you go to New Orleans this Halloween

October 17, 2004

Halloween falls on a Sunday this year. Festivities generally start a week before with special haunted events and tours running the entire month of October. All of the listings here are in New Orleans unless otherwise noted.

WHERE TO STAY: Among a number of reportedly haunted hotels in New Orleans, Le Pavillon Hotel, 833 Poydras St., New Orleans, 800-535-9095, http://www.lepavillon.com, is known for its old-world charm and unique traditions. Rates start at 9 per night.

International House Hotel, 221 Camp St., New Orleans, 800-633-5770, is the only hotel in town with a voodoo altar in the lobby. There will be offerings and an altar in celebration of All Saints Day. The gothic Loa Bar is often filled with visitors while the rooms are distinctively top-notch.

Tucked away in the corner of the state, about an hour and half from New Orleans, the Myrtles Plantation, 7747 U.S. Highway 61, St. Francisville, 225-635-6277, http://www.myrtlesplantation.com, has often been recognized in the national media as one of the nation's most haunted homes. Those who dare to stay will find eleven rooms, starting at 5 per night. Hotel Maison de Ville, 727 Rue Toulouse, New Orleans, 504-561-5858, http://www.maisondeville.com, reportedly has a ghost in cottage No. 4.

WHERE TO EAT: One of Chef Emeril Lagasse's creations, NOLA, 534 Saint Louis St., 504-522-6652, often has a long wait but features an amazing menu including items such as smoked duck pizza, filet mignon and cedar plank roasted redfish. With excellent local fare and a great perch for people-watching, Maspero's, 601 Decatur St., 504-523-6250, is a favorite with locals and visitors alike, specializing in all of New Orleans' unique staples including red beans and rice and fried seafood.

WHAT TO DO: Haunted History Tours, 888-644-6787, http://www.hauntedhistorytours.com offers a number of spooky excursions to the Garden District and cemeteries. Tours start at . New Orleans Ghost Tours, 504-524-0708, http://www.neworleansghosttours.com, offers two-hour tours to haunted spots in the French Quarter. The guide even dresses in vampire garb. Tours are , children are free when accompanied by an adult.

Les Temps des Vampires, a popular vampire ball, takes place at Rosy's Jazz Hall, 500 Valence St., 504-896-7679 on October 30 from 9 p.m.-2 a.m. Visit http://www.sagebrushonline.com for tickets and more info. New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum, 724 Dumaine, 504-581-3824 usually has a ritual going on Halloween night and on the Day of the Dead (November 1). Visitors are welcome.

Most cemeteries can be easily explored without guides but visitors should take precautions and never travel there after dark. Some of the more popular locations include: St. Louis No.1 (400 Basin St.), Metairie Cemetery (5100 Pontchartrain Blvd.), St. Roch No. 1 (corner of Derbigny and St. Roch), Lafayette Cemetery (Washington Avenue and Chestnut Street) and Holt Cemetery (635 City Park Ave.).

-------------
FOR MORE INFORMATION:

New Orleans Convention and Visitor's Bureau

http://www.neworleanscvb.com

800-672-6124

http://www.freep.com/features/travel/neworleans-box117e_20041017.htm

Back