• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sportsmen with God on their side

Peripart

Antediluvian
I enjoyed the recent Commonwealth Games (it's always nice to find an event where Brits can win medals!), but was left with one memory in particular, which left a slightly nasty taste in my mouth, although I'm not sure why, or whether it was right to feel that way.

The men's 400m was won by an Australian lad called John Steffensen. Very pleasant kid, huge personality (and hair!), but when he was interviewed afterwards, he thanked "the Lord Jesus Christ" for assistance in winning the race. Is this fair? Did he really believe that Jesus helped him win? If he's right, why did Jesus want the others to lose?

What's your take on this? I don't mean such things as Maradona's "Hand of God" - or maybe I do - but when a footballer scores a goal and then crosses himself, what is he thanking God for? Helping him beat the heathen opposition, or for giving him the good health and fortune to play sport at the highest level?

Maybe, to save born losers the bother of competing, someone out there knows which team of country God is likely to support. Let me know!

If Jesus did help him win, then surely that constitutes 'outside assistance' and he should be both disqualified and stripped of his title? :?

he thanked "the Lord Jesus Christ" for assistance in winning the race

Blatantly cheating then!

Or more likely...

for giving him the good health and fortune to play sport at the highest level?

Well, I'd say half the Oscar and Grammy winners thank God. Not really unusual, but at least they don't thank God for ruining it for the others.

Well, the losers seem to not hold it against God for choosing someone else to win, so as long as they're being good sports, it's not hurting anything. Wouldn't disqualifying someone who God made win make him unhappy? But seriously, yeah, this bugs me: giving God credit for success, or on a similar note praying for victory in a sport, or whatnot.
I don't believe in God, but if I did, I wouldn't expect him to support my sports team over another, especially since there'd doubtless be people on the other side praying for victory as well. To me, that's disrespectful to God.
And giving Him credit for your successes... Man, have a little faith in your own abilities. And I'm talking about 'I couldn't have done it without Him!' or 'I want to thank God for giving me this talent!' It just bugs me!
Praying to do your best and thanking God for a good showing is perfectly acceptable, however. ;)

What about all those rap and R&B artists who thank God on their album liner notes? Nice to see the Almighty keeping up to date with His musical tastes.

Actually, the very existence of rap and R&B would seem to argue against the extistence of a loving God.

coat, gone

:roll: leaferne

I guess he's talking figuratively - as in his belief in jesus has given him inspiration in the toughest bits of being a runner. As he's supposed to do for christians, runners or not.

Back