• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spreading The Good Word: How many converts have you made?

How many converts have you made?

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
With an eye on what Owen and Gordon say here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 169#523169

how many converts to the Good Cause have you made (and specifically how many of them have become regular buyers/subscribers - the criteria I am aiming at in the poll not those fair weather readers ;) )?

While a lot of people just give you funny looks a reasonable number are gobsmacked when they find their first copy of FT (I know I was) because they never thought anything like this existed or if it did that we'd never find it ;)

I know the questionairre collects info on numbers of people who read each individual copy (can we get access to a few of these numbers? I'd be interest in readers/issue, circulation and percentage of readers who also visit the site) and numerous people sneak off with my copies (hence the occasional gap :( ) but I have, to the best of my knowledge only converted 2 people to being people who would buy and read nearly every issue (one of them has a subscription).

So how have other people done in spreading the Good Word?

I selected 2, though it could be more, as I've turned my nephews on to FT by passing my old issues on to them. ;) Actually, their parents read it too so I should have said 4, plus who knows if their friends take it up too...

After I finish reading them, I pass my FTs on to my father-in-law, and when he finishes them, I believe he passes them on to friends.

Am I depriving FT of lucrative income here?

Soong used to just read my old copies, now he has a subscription. That's one firm convert! on the other hand, my brother, Mrs. Soong and others read the FT when they see it in the flat. But they don't buy it themselves, so not really a true convert. I also introduced it to a colleague for her daughter and I think that she buys it regularly.

Two then. Hmmmmm.......must try harder. I spend more time converting people into Landmark Trusters really. Maybe I could combine the two- read an excellent magazine in (often) spooky surroundings by an open fire in an historic building at a bargain price! :mrgreen:

I know someone who insists on running off with my FT as soon as I've finished with it, but it doesn't seem to have occured to them to buy their own copy. At the risk of being lynched, I don't think Fortean TV did the FT any favours - I found its superficial and self-consciously "wacky" portrayal of matters Fortean a big turn-off, and it certainly wouldn't have encouraged me to seek out the magazine. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Six people I think, and one rather glorious sexual encounter.
Tip: Try to read the magazine in public places.

I do read it in public places. I just get funny looks.

No converts, but I have lent the odd issue out (and always insisted on getting it back afterwards). And one or two people who haven't run screaming from the room when I've tried to explain what it's about.

The more lurid the front cover, the weirder the looks!
:D

Interior decorating tip:
Leave lateest issues strategically on coffee table.

Hello all, I have bought a lot of back issue lots from Ebay over the last year or two and this has left me with a nice pile of duplicates / triplicates etc that I give to people wanting to read English publications ( I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil where English is not spoken much at all ).

The results are mostly that people want to get their hands on more and once my stash of back issues runs out then they are going to have to get their own.

Perhaps a good way to get converts is to give spare back issues to places like doctors waiting rooms in areas where likely readers could visit, or to other waiting room areas. Some of the pics could be a bit upsetting so the odd page may have to be removed, but it seems a great way to spread the word.

thanks

Iain

Although my parents will read my copy if I happen to have it on me while visiting, I haven't actually made any converts.

The majority of my friends are sadly lacking in the breadth of imagination necessary to enjoy FT for what it is and seem to think it's just an upmarket version of the Weekly World News.

:(

Which makes me want to roll my copy into a point an insert it in them with tremendous force.

i used to subscribe until my eyes got old and the print got too blurry to read. at that time, it was the only magazine print i couldn't handle. I realized i was going through it, looking at the pictures and large print, thinking i would go back and read the blurry stuff later once i dug up a pair of glasses. (wait until you hit 45) but now i have to read all magazine and newspapers with glasses, so i'm thinking i should resubscribe because i now have glasses with me most of the time.

when i did subscribe, i always took a copy with me when flying. i have to be honest and say it often kept the person next to me from even trying to strike up a conversation, but sometimes it worked the other way.

I picked 4 but it could be more..hard to figure exact , the last person who wanted a copy put in his file in my shop is a engineer at honeywell and he's going for degree also in medicine-it seems most folks that go for the mag are well read and also like roll playing games I've noticed..I usually pick up the issue and say to someone who I think might go for it..hey check this out..etc..

Was just studying the form - have placed a bet or two on the Booker Prize and the Next Tory leader (stick to what you know) - and discovered we've another interesting convert here:

The Man Booker Bookie

by Graham Sharpe

www.willhill.com

Okay, so I have now accepted that I am unlikely ever to be invited to become a Man Booker Prize Judge - but that does not stop me having pretty firm ideas about what does and doesn't constitute a potential or worthy winner. And as the person who has probably read more of the shortlisted novels over the past twenty years than almost anyone else outside of the award's inner-circle I believe that my opinions are as good as the next man, woman or critic's.

I am frequently asked by the media whether I have read the books when I issue the odds for the latest prize. These days the invariable answer at that point is 'no'. Were I to read all the longlisted books before they are announced I would have to be on the judging panel - or have sacrificed a great deal of valuable free time.

Even once the longlist is divulged I will only endeavour to read a few of them before they are whittled down to the much more manageable size of the short list.

But the public and the media want instant odds so although I will not have read more than a couple of the books I am betting on I have to be able to issue an accurate list of prices which won't run the risk of bankrupting William Hill.

So, how can I put those odds together at that stage? Well, the people who create the odds for the Derby or Grand National will never have sat on the horses concerned, and you don't have to have played Premiership football to quantify the chances of a team winning the League title.

I will read them eventually but my actual opinion of the merits of each book/author is basically irrelevant because what I am trying to do is second guess the judging panel and the betting public and experience tells me that the readers prepared to bet on a book have probably just read that particular title and been impressed with it, but have no opinion as to how it stacks up against the other possible winners.

Alternatively they are betting because they have read somewhere that a certain book is a fancied contender for the prize - so, the opinions of influential critics and journalists or broadcasters can also have a great effect on the way I price the books in my opening list of odds.

Sometimes I will have very strong views myself on the worthiness of contenders - for example, if it had been up to me last year's winning book would not even have made the shortlist. I thought Peter Carey's subject matter was too factual to qualify as a novel and the vocabulary used by his supposedly almost illiterate and gramatically-bereft narrator was too sophisticated to ring true - but then what do I know?

I made the front page of a national newspaper once by confessing that although the content of a particularly contentious Salman Rushdie book did not offend me, what did was the fact that I found the book almost unreadable.

Few of the Man Booker shortlisted titles would accompany me to Jersey where I spend most of my summer holidays - instead I take back-copies of Fortean Times which I have not yet got round to catching up with. But I do appreciate good writing, although I defy anyone to come up with a universally accepted definition of just what that is.

I like the quirky nature of the prize and understand its massive influence on the buying habits of the great British public, even though I would imagine that a large proportion of Man Booker sales are to people buying the books as ultimately un-read Birthday or Christmas presents. But at least the authors are benefiting from the sales - and the increased bargaining power with their publisher - accorded by success in the Man Booker Prize. I respect the way in which it has set the standards to which other literary prizes aspire , but never quite manage to achieve, and I appreciate the notoriety by association which I have acquired by setting the Man Booker Prize odds for a longer period than most murderers spend behind bars.

As a journalist by trade I am often asked why I have never written a novel but my training means that I would have compressed the story to the essential who, what, where, how and why and finished it off within a chapter should any publisher ever offer me the opportunity to burst into the fiction market.

However, I suppose I could always have a stab at it and would probably be prepared to do so for a low six-figure, two book deal so, if you're a publisher looking for a bright new talent whose name might carry a little weight with the Man Booker Prize judging panel, just give me a shout....

Regards

Graham Sharpe
Press Office
William Hill Organisation

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/2005prize/bookie.php

Back