• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
*engaging human Wikipedia mode*

Padraig/Patrick was originally Romano-British from SW England, perhaps northern Somerset or Devon, when he was taken by slave-trading pirates and transported to Ireland. He rediscovered his faith while in captivity and when he escaped, he travelled to France to study and become a priest and evangelist and returned to Ireland to specifically minister to and convert the inhabitants.

I thought he was supposed to be from Cumbria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick#Life

In terms of Irish meals, rather than cuisine per se, far more common would be bacon and cabbage, with spuds of your choice.

Bacon joint boiled and then finished in the oven, served with cabbage that is blanched in the bacon water and then fried in some of the bacon fat saved from the roast.

This is often accompanied by a parsley sauce.
Spuds could be boiled, steamed or mashed.

The left overs the next day are mixed together, bacon off cuts, cabbage and potatoes, to make cakes that could be fried to crisp them, or grilled, or done on a hot griddle.
Yum!

My youngest kicked off St Patrick's Day at 11.00 am yesterday. He finished at Midnight. The boy is definitely taking after some of the forefathers from Kilkenny.
IMG_3193.jpeg

My youngest kicked off St Patrick's Day at 11.00 am yesterday. He finished at Midnight. The boy is definitely taking after some of the forefathers from Kilkenny.
View attachment 74836

Did you see this animated film set in Kilkenny during the Cromwellian era?

Wolfwalkers
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5198068/

My review:

Wolfwalkers are humans who live with wolves, when their spirits leave their bodies they transform into wolves - werewolves. Set in 1650 in Kilkenny, Ireland and the woods near the town. Cromwell has occupied the area and is having the trees cut back, the wolves attack the tree cutters but the wolfwalkers try to mediate. A tale of the daughter of an English wolf hunter meeting up with a girl who is a wolfwalker. A friendship develops to the background of the occupation and the war between wolves and mankind. Beautiful, imaginative animation, the den of the wolves in a cave has rocks engraved with runes and sun wheels. A film which operates at several levels but at all times is entertaining. Directed by Tomm Moore and Ross Stewart from a screenplay by Will Collins. 8/10.

Did you see this animated film set in Kilkenny during the Cromwellian era?
I didn’t see it as I am not a big film fan. But I will look out for it.
In all the time I spent in Kilkenny i only went into the city on a few occasions, the music festival on a couple of occasions and a pub crawl with my dads big brother come immediately to mind.
Most of the time I stayed in Urlingford; most specifically Hayes’s Bar and sometimes Doyle’s, Bar, Lounge, Undertaker.
My friends and colleagues can never get their head around the fact I used to drop into the town’s undertaker for a beer.

Back