• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stargazing Live!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Stargazing Live!

Professor Brian Cox and Dara O Briain host three days of live stargazing featuring epic images from observatories around the globe.

The programme is based at Jodrell Bank. I popped over there this afto with our CERN snailet. We saw the presenters rehearsing and videoed the dish being swivelled around. Great fun!

Anyone reminded of the clip of The Sky at Night back in the fifties they often show of Patrick Moore getting very embarrassed on a live stargazing show afflicted by extensive cloud cover?

I'm loving it. :D

Mark is out in a field next to the Lovell, with a telescope, looking despondent because of the heavy cloud cover, while a HUGE falling star drifts earthwards behind him. Pure poetry. 8)

I've been watching it - I was quite impressed with the 2 'shooting stars' caught on camera, one during the Jonathan Ross segment, and one during the live link to that guy stood in the field outside.
Also I'm well pleased that I've got full HD as the pics are quite stunning.

Yup, it's great in the HD. We also have a 50" TV (mainly for Techie's live golf :roll: ) which also helps.

I was surprised to see them altering their voices with helium as it's quite dangerous. Done it loads of times myself, of course, and encouraged kids to do it, but not since I found out how stupid I was being. :oops:

I watched the 3 episodes and overall it was very good. There did seem to be times when it looked like the lads didn't know what was coming next and they could probably have found someone better than Jonathon Ross for the 'lets teach a celebrity how to stargaze'. He really didn't seem that interested in what was going on. I suspect that he got all his telescopes as presents because he may have mentioned once that he liked astronomy but couldn't really be that arsed to do anything more than looking up at the sky when he was walking home at night.

Anyway i hope it turns into a yearly thing. A couple of episodes a year around christmas wouldn't be a bad idea.

Stargazing Live

As far as I am concerned it was total gumph, ruined by the likes of O'briain and Ross nattering inanely over Brian Cox and other knowledgeable peeps and making weak "jokes" about what was going on, utter bloody rubbish, sorry I wasted my time watching and hoping for something good.

Long article about Brian Cox (who is much older than he looks! ;) ):

Brian Cox: Stars in his eyes
The one-time member of D:Ream has proved a dream signing for the BBC – a presenter with the looks, charm and expertise to turn millions of viewers on to the joys of science

By Steve Connor

Today we have the phenomenon of the scientist-presenter who brings personality and professional experience – as well as regional vowels – to the small screen. There is perhaps no better example than Professor Brian Cox, the Lancashire lad and pin-up of particle physics whose new four-part series, Wonders of the Universe, begins tomorrow night.

etc...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 33010.html

Nobody seems to have commented on this year's shows.
(I think they're all still on iPlayer, however, so you can catch up.)

I've been very impressed. As an amateur astronomer since maybe the age of 8, I'd expected a rather condescending presentation of "What you can see in the sky", but instead there's lots of new stuff, and new angles on old stuff. The presentation is excellent, combining professional opinions and debate with a light-hearted and humourous attitude. (Not surprising, with a professional comedian as one of the presenters!)

I was also pleasantly surprised by Chris Lintott - when he was first brought on TV as a new Sky at Night presenter, I thought he seemed a very cold fish, but on Stargazing he seems much more affable.

The attempt to recreate Herschel's telescope was also fascinating, but there's too much else to mention.

I didn't mention Brian Cox as one of the presenters - but he clearly needs no endorsements from me!

'Brian Cox effect' leads to surge in demand for physics
One of Britain’s top universities has been forced to dramatically raise entrance requirements for its physics course after being flooded with applicants on the back of the popularity of Brian Cox.
By Graeme Paton, Education Editor
9:00PM GMT 11 Jan 2013

Manchester University is the first in the country to require students to gain two elite A* grades – alongside an A – at A-level to get onto its physics degrees.
It represents the highest entry threshold for any physics course in Britain, including those run by Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and Imperial College London. It is among only a handful of degrees in any subject nationally to demand two A*s.

Manchester has always been a popular choice for physics but the university admitted that a recent rise in applications had been partially driven by the attraction of Prof Cox, one of the department’s academics and presenter of television series such as Stargazing Live and Wonders of the Universe.
He currently teaches quantum mechanics and relativity to first year students.

It also reflects the increasing popularity of the subject nationally on the back of publicity surrounding the Large Hadron Collider at Cern.

Across Britain, the number of students taking degrees in physics has soared by 50 per cent in just eight years to reach more than 40,000 in 2011.
The popularity of physics has bucked a national trend which has seen a drop in demand for higher education following the imposition of annual tuition fees of up to £9,000 for the first time last autumn.

The disclosure comes just days before the main January 15 deadline to apply to most 2013 degree courses through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

Prof Fred Loebinger, Manchester’s admissions tutor for physics, said its courses had been increasingly in demand following the award of two Nobel Prizes to its academics in 2010 combined with the profile of the university’s Jodrell Bank Observatory.
“Over the last few years, our applications have been going up and up and we’ve been able to capitalise on that by increasing our entrance requirements,” he said.
“This year, we have this A*A*A criteria and it’s still led to an increase in applications again. What we’re doing is attracting more students at the very top end of the scale.”

He added: “The national figures are also rising – and rising faster than other comparable science subjects – so clearly all the publicity that Brian [Cox], Jodrell Bank, Cern and the LHC are having is good for physics across the country.
“Obviously, Manchester can’t help but benefit from that because Brian is one of our staff.”

Manchester currently has 275 places on its undergraduate physics courses, including those combined with other disciplines such as astrophysics or philosophy.
In 2009, it had just under 850 applicants but numbers topped 1,000 last summer and are expected to soar further still in 2013 – creating around four applications for each place.

Last year, Manchester required students to score one A* and two As for entry but this year its requirements have increased to two A*s.
By comparison, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Imperial and Warwick demand A*AA. Most others ask for AAA or below.

The mathematics degrees at Oxford and University College London are believed to be among a very small number of courses in any subject nationally to ask for two A*s as a minimum threshold.

Prof Sir Peter Knight, president of the Institute of Physics, said the subject had benefited from its “geek-chic” image.
"Certainly, physics has been fortunate in recent years to have benefited from two or three very high profile and gifted TV presenters, firing the beauty of the subject direct into people’s living rooms,” he said.
“Even other programmes, such as the Big Bang Theory, have helped create a geek-chic.
“It’s undoubtedly true, however, that the subject has benefited from strong, positive messages from senior people, including politicians and business leaders, on the employability of physics graduates.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... ysics.html

No wonder Cox is always smiling! ;)

Back