• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stigmata - the film

A

Anonymous

I'd forgotten what a really good film this is! Just watching the premier on BBC 1. What does everyone else think? I take films at face value, generally, I don't watch them to analyse and pick to bits!

I'm having great fun looking up the 'Nag Hamadi Scrolls', mentioned at the end of the film, for sure.

Ken Campbell was on about them at the UnCon 2003 this year as well.

Gnostic Gospels and a bit of 'kicking against the pricks' rebellion, lovely! :p

I'd not seen Stigmata before, it's actually a deeply odd film with a very esoteric underpinning for a mainstream Hollywood supernatural thriller.

I remember it getting some lousey reviews (probably becuase you actually had to pay attention to figure out what was going on.

Howvere, I don't think it was entirely clear in some places, particularly the idea that the nearer you become to the divine the more open you are to demonic assaults)

The Nag Hammandi Scroll/Gospel of Thomas/Secret sayings of Jesus actually exists:

http://www.misericordia.edu/users/davies/thomas/Trans.htm

and the quotes in the film were real.

Jesus said,
"I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained.

Split a piece of wood; I am there.

Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

Yes - I can recall Stigmata getting some pretty poor reviews. At the end of the day, it is a bit of harmless fun - and by basing it on the controvesrsial Nag Hammandi scroll - it certainly makes it more thought provoking.

Personally, I found it more rewarding and entertaining than the rather disappointing Revelations.

It had a damn fine opening but...

Well the last reel was a bit crap realy: evil church, poor girl, priest almost giving up celebesy but falling in love anyway. Three cliches in 30 minutes!

And the soundtrack was crap too.

But chop out the last reel and you had a rather atmospheric movie with more than it's fair share of striking shots.

Apparently there's some extra bits on the DVD which go some way to explaining the odd ending, so if anyone's seen it on DVD would they mind PMing me (so's not to ruin it for everyone else)?

Thanx

Papa Lazarou said:
Apparently there's some extra bits on the DVD which go some way to explaining the odd ending, so if anyone's seen it on DVD would they mind PMing me (so's not to ruin it for everyone else)?

Thanx

that WOULD be unsefull as it didn't make any sence :(

Back