• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stonemason's Cathedral Surprise

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Stonemason's cathedral surprise

A stonemason who carried out work on a cathedral tower left behind something to be remembered by.

Saul Sheldon says he made a carving of male genitals while working on the west face of Hereford Cathedral tower.

He says it is a stonemasons' tradition to do so and said that anyone looking for it would have to look carefully to find it.

He added he hoped the cathedral authorities would quite like it once they had got over the shock.

He said: "Some people might think it is not appropriate but some people might quite like it.

"I don't know what the cathedral authorities think about it but I think they will quite like it once they get over the shock."

Cathedral spokesman Glyn Morgan said they were not too surprised as they were aware of the craftsman's tradition of leaving little jokey reminders.

"At All Saints' Church in Hereford we have a carving of someone baring their bum to the congregation below.

"It's a long established tradition and it all serves to brighten a mood."

The cathedral has just learnt it has secured a grant of up to £4.2m from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The money will be spent on major works to improve drainage and paths and provide a new seating and educational area.

The cathedral's tower reopened to the public in April after three years of restoration work.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/06/28 12:31:00 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Scradje

Is this the posh equivalent of drawing a nob on a bus shelter?

I wonder if this is a tradition borne out of the same vien as gargoyles? I can't imagine a medievil stonemasion being brave enough to leave a 'two fingers up' gesture to the church! :) I do know though that in those times people used to throw stones behind them and bare their bottoms and genitals to scare away any evil that was following them home. Same as gargoyles on buildings, to scare away evil. Maybe that's why stonemasions started to do it?

Well, it seems the more things change - the more they stay the same, eh? And I particularly like the fact that he was rather pleased with his work. Perhaps drawing from life, I wonder. :shock:

There's all sorts of rude carvings on old churches. They must have been bored and/or subversive... :)

Back