• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strandbeests (Theo Jansen's Wind-Powered Sculptures / Machines)

SoundDust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Saw this in the Telegraph magazine this morning.

Link

Since about ten years Theo Jansen is occupied with the making of a new nature. Not pollen or seeds but plastic yellow tubes are used as the basic matierial of this new nature. He makes skeletons which are able to walk on the wind. Eventualy he wants to put these animals out in herds on the beaches, so they will live their own lives.

Did anyone see the wind-powered walking machine on QI last week? Not only was that remarkable, it was a copy "printed out" here in 3D off the internet from the original in The Netherlands!

It was at the end of the show if you want to check it out on iPlayer.

gncxx said:
Did anyone see the wind-powered walking machine on QI last week? Not only was that remarkable, it was a copy "printed out" here in 3D off the internet from the original in The Netherlands!

It was at the end of the show if you want to check it out on iPlayer.
Yes it was fantastic, I want one.

I watched it yesterday and was enthralled. Partly by the walking machine thing itself, which looked amazing though slightly creepy in the way it moved, but mainly because it had been produced on a 3D printer. I've looked at them in the past and really want one, but I don't know what I'd actually do with it! Make a few coat hooks and things here and there, and then leave it gathering dust, I suspect. I'm a sucker for gadgets but a fair number get neglected when the novelty wears off. Sadly, those printers are too pricey for me to purchase on a whim :(

Strandbeests, Astonishing Wind Powered Mobile Sculptures

“Strandbeests” (“beach beasts”) by Dutch artist Theo Jansen are beautiful vaguely skeletal kinetic sculptures that harness wind power to move autonomously. The sculptures are remarkably sophisticated, some featuring “stomachs” that store pressurized air for use during windless conditions. Jansen has been building the sculptures out of PVC piping for more than 20 years. The BBC captured some of Jansen’s Strandbeests in action–the magic starts at the 30 second mark. ...
SOURCE: https://laughingsquid.com/strandbeests-astonishing-wind-powered-mobile-sculptures/

Here is a 2010 video illustrating Jansen's Strandbeests.

Back