• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

strange attraction

anne_of_28_days

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
do you ever find yourself confused by your own strong negative reaction or response to something? do you ever think you are attracted to a person or place, but in actuality you are really repulsed? :oops: not sure this makes any sense!

Um - I'm afraid it doesn't make a whole lot of sense as stated, Anne, probably because you're having trouble articulating a complex sensation without using examples. Do you mean something along the lines of the irresistible urge to look at a traffice accident? Or more like the heroine being drawn to the villain? Or something else?

i always find myself drawn to houses and buildings that are dark and sad. i was recently seriously considering moving to a dying town that is very bleak and depressing, then i came to my senses and realized the town is creepy, and i would be an alien there. but for a while, i felt this very strong, compelling pull.

i do this with other things too. it's hard for me to sort out certain emotions and see them for what they really are.

perhaps you are a channel for a healing process that needs to be done in such places?

Hmm...I can sort of relate. I do love the 'beauty of decay', and here in the US Rust Belt, there's plenty of that to be found. It's not so terribly different than romanticizing the ruins of an old temple or colosseum, I think.

krobone said:
Hmm...I can sort of relate. I do love the 'beauty of decay', and here in the US Rust Belt, there's plenty of that to be found. It's not so terribly different than romanticizing the ruins of an old temple or colosseum, I think.
Industrial archaeology is quite a compelling subject. (Of course, we have a lot of it in UK, being the home of the Industrial Revolution.)

Rust Belt is an interesting expression. It reminds me of childhood memories (or memories of childhood dreams?) of walking in places full of huge rusting metal objects. Maybe it was just a scrapyard we passed when my father took us on walks.

But this was near the site of Heathrow airport, which at that period (late 40s, early 50s) was rapidly expanding from a small grass airstrip to the huge international airport it is today, so perhaps the rusty objects were something connected with the construction work.

When I was a kid, my father was in the contracting/construction business, and as a result, the family moved around a great deal. We lived in one little town (literally a speck on the map) in southern Arizona for about 3 years before moving again for greener pastures.

As fate would have it, I recently found myself spending time in the town as a result of my job. I hadn't been back since we left when I was a kid, and the place is literally dying; the local mine closed down, causing most of the residents to move in order to look for work elsewhere, the main street now consists of dozens of empty, boarded-up buildings, the nearest shopping facilities are now 60 miles away, and many families, who'd been ''townies'' for several generations, opted to put their houses up for sale and try their luck somewhere else.

Out of curiosity, I drove by our old homestead, and found that it was virtually the same as when we'd left it, right down to the moldings my dad had repaired on the front porch, and the small trees he'd planted in the front yard. I was going to be in town for the next week, looking after a small storage facility maintained by the state, and as there was little else to do, curiosity got the better of me and I contacted the realtor to see if I could do a walk-through.
It's strange how things seem much bigger when you're a kid. They were really eager to sell, and were asking a pittance -the house would sell for many thousands more had it been located anywhere else. I seriously began thinking about it. I phoned my brother to see what he thought.

''You hated that town! We were so happy to finally move!'' and after discussing the matter with my GF, I came to my senses. I suspect it had more to do with the fact that the last time I'd lain eyes on the place, both my parents were still alive, my brothers, sisters & I were all still kids, and my biggest worry in the world was how I was going to obtain the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

There was also a strange and undeniable creep factor to it all in retrospect, as I don't really have any particular desire to put down roots in what is, for all intents and purposes, a ghost town.

You really can't go home again.

ignatiusII said:
There was also a strange and undeniable creep factor to it all in retrospect, as I don't really have any particular desire to put down roots in what is, for all intents and purposes, a ghost town.
Please tell us that there was also tumbleweed bowling down the street!

No self-respecting tumbleweed would be caught dead in that town.
Probably all relocated to Tombstone.

ignatiusII said:
''You hated that town! We were so happy to finally move!'' and after discussing the matter with my GF, I came to my senses. I suspect it had more to do with the fact that the last time I'd lain eyes on the place, both my parents were still alive, my brothers, sisters & I were all still kids, and my biggest worry in the world was how I was going to obtain the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

You really can't go home again.
ignatius -- that is almost EXACTLY what happened to me -- except the house i lived in wasn't for sale, so i started looking at other places. i'm actually in the town right now, having come back to see if this is something i really wanted to do. decay and nostalgia seem to be a potent mix -- and mansions that are practically being given away. :D now i see if for the mistake it would be, but there is still something very compelling about the idea. maybe it would be a little like time travel. but yes, the creep factor is HUGE. i think it is tied to being able to step back and see what almost happened. a definite head f***.

I grew up in a little community in the 70's-80's that is now, just as you described, turning more and more into a "ghost town". One of my childhood friends, who is now about 35 years old, have moved back to that community, he moved into his fathers apartment when the ol' man died. I remember that I and most of his other friends were telling him not to. There's virtually impossible to get a job there, and very much so in his field of expertice (computers). The whole place has a very sad and abandoned feeling about it, I always get very emotionally low when I visit this place (about two times every year). It's really sad, my friend had lived there for about a year, then he lost his girlfriend and since he's interested in music/poetry/culture he doesn't really fit in at a place where all males "should" have "manly" jobs such as farmers or lumberjacks or car mechanics and have "manly" interests such as hunting and fishing. He have no friends in the community, so, (what I've been told) associates with the handfull of alcoholics that hangs out in the park.

He is now unemployed and living on social welfare, in a ghost town who's population is mostly retired citizens and a handful of drunks. No friends, and I suspect, the few people that's his age that are still there thinks that he's some kind of weirdo. The worst part is that he is really no bum, he's a very creative and intelligent man and he is very good with computers. I would have hired him right away if I needed help with anything related to computers.

This is a very interesting thread. I've also experienced what other posters have attempted to describe. For me, it begins as a feeling of dislike, unease and sometimes definite revulsion about something (or someone) ..... which you later discover has turned into a disturbing and haunting attraction.

However (for me at least) it's *not* the same as the dislike you can feel simply because something is unfamiliar to begin with, but which can change as you get to know it better (as can happen with a new town, new school, even new fashion).

When the transformation from loathing-to-longing occurs, it causes you to wonder what on earth is going on. Because it's as if there are equally strong emotions of dislike and attraction at the same time.

I was once desperate to leave a particular (tiny) town. My parents had moved our family there some years earlier. It was just a speck on the map, consisting of a few buildings clustered on either side of the main road, with dirt tracks radiating outwards to drab farms. There was a bit of a hill/slope about a quarter mile before you reached the town, and as you drove down the slope towards the town, you hit a certain spot ... quite an ordinary looking spot ... where the 'feeling' or atmosphere changed. Nothing had changed visibly, but it felt exactly as if you'd passed through an invisible veil. Once you'd passed through it, things didn't feel very nice. It felt as if the air had changed, or become thicker/more dense. Much less friendly. Less normal. And it always seemed as if everything had grown darker, even if it was actually blazing sunshine.

It always made me feel nervous; on guard and apprehensive. The bad version of butterflies in the stomach. And there was a feeling of depression and of ' I want to get out of here .. want to get away from here ... don't want to go in here'. And this was caused by the atmosphere, not by the people, because only 83 people actually lived in the township and half of those were out on farms. Nor was it because of the buildings in the actual town, because there were only a handful, and they didn't have a 'bad' feeling about them.

It was the same if you were on foot, or riding a bike or passenger in a car. When we'd lived there a while, our family became friendly with a family who lived on a farm a few miles out of town. And my sister and I always thought of that family as lucky because they lived on the other side (the normal, cheerful side) of the invisible veil. We lived in the town for four years and even though we'd grown used to the place and travelled in and out of town quite often, we could still always 'feel it' as we passed through what I'm calling a 'veil' for want of a better term. We just took the change of atmosphere for granted, as our father drove through it and down to town and our house. And it was even more noticeable if travelling on foot, as we kids often did in search of adventure or gooseberries. On foot, the air became 'charged' in some way as we walked through the place where the atmosphere changed. On one side it felt normal, like the 'real' outside world, and on the town-side it seemed darker and as if something was watching you. Describing it in words makes it sound more dramatic than it really was ... in reality, the 'shift' was more subtle.

We moved away from the town after four years. We were all happy to leave. I felt as if I'd lost four years of my life in that place and gained nothing in return. I couldn't see the point of the town's existence and to me it seemed as if the inhabitants were existing in a pointless, living death. The thought of being stuck there for life, like them, made me shudder. I would rather have died. I couldn't understand why anyone stayed there. Couldn't understand why anyone had moved there to begin with.

Then, maybe twenty years later, for no reason at all, I found myself drifting into states of nostaligia and longing for that town ! I even dreamt about it and again, in my dreams, I was haunted by the town's unique atmosphere and longed for it. I even revealed this in a phone conversation with my father and said that of all the places I'd lived, that town now held the strongest appeal. I could hear myself saying how peaceful the place was and how much I'd like to move back there. If it had been possible, I would have split in two, so that one of me could shake her head in disbelief at what the other one was saying. My father's response was dry and implied he did not share my strange new fondness for the town.

From time to time, I continue to be haunted by brief phases of longing for the town and every now and then I dream of it. My dreams all share the same theme; the town has boomed and prospered. In my dreams I see gigantic machinery and smoke stacks and vastly increased population. Twice I've dreamt that the road in the centre of town has split, to reveal a large cavern beneath, in which are jewels. I told my father about it and he laughed. Since we left (many decades ago) semi-precious gem deposits have apparently been discovered in the area, which has apparently attracted gem-fossikers and caused a bit of a tourist boom. But I was more amazed to learn from my father that in the 1920's or 1930's, the town suffered an earth-quake which caused a long split in the facade of the town's only pub. My father had spent a lot of time in that pub when we lived there, and told me that old timers had told him about the cracked face of the pub, even though it had been plastered over and painted by the time we moved there. I hadn't been aware Australia was subject to earthquakes. And would never have expected there would ever be an earthquake in the dry, rural region where the town is located.

So --- taking into account the reported, previous earthquake and my dreams of the town's main street splitting --- it may be that some day in the future, a cavern beneath the street might be exposed.

As for my strange fits of longing for the place, all I can say is --- I would put a gun to my head if I were really taken back to the place and told I would have to stay there. So the two emotions about the town exist alongside; longing and revulsion. Maybe some places have a magnetic effect of some sort upon us ... or maybe we reverse our polarity every so many years?

thanks so much for all of the great responses. i am loving them! and what a relief to find i'm not the only person who has experienced this confusion. this is my last night in my dead town, and i can't wait to get out of here. i wish i could leave tonight. there is a bleak darkness here that i can feel in my chest. and as you said, again6, a feeling that this place isn't completely real. yet at the same time, i feel guilty for talking badly about the place. the town itself is beautiful. full of the most amazing, almost gothic, architecture. very sad when towns die.

tindalos_terrier said:
I grew up in a little community in the 70's-80's that is now, just as you described, turning more and more into a "ghost town". One of my childhood friends, who is now about 35 years old, have moved back to that community, he moved into his fathers apartment when the ol' man died. I remember that I and most of his other friends were telling him not to. There's virtually impossible to get a job there, and very much so in his field of expertice (computers). The whole place has a very sad and abandoned feeling about it, I always get very emotionally low when I visit this place (about two times every year). It's really sad, my friend had lived there for about a year, then he lost his girlfriend and since he's interested in music/poetry/culture he doesn't really fit in at a place where all males "should" have "manly" jobs such as farmers or lumberjacks or car mechanics and have "manly" interests such as hunting and fishing. He have no friends in the community, so, (what I've been told) associates with the handfull of alcoholics that hangs out in the park.

He is now unemployed and living on social welfare, in a ghost town who's population is mostly retired citizens and a handful of drunks. No friends, and I suspect, the few people that's his age that are still there thinks that he's some kind of weirdo. The worst part is that he is really no bum, he's a very creative and intelligent man and he is very good with computers. I would have hired him right away if I needed help with anything related to computers.

interesting and disturbing post, tindalos. the really scary part of this kind of seduction of place is how quickly the new life begins to seem perfectly normal.

To dig or not to dig?

If you'd like to learn what is going on here from a psychological perspective, I'd recommend reading about Transactional Analysis, Games and Scripts. It seems from a psychological perspective you may be trying to satisfy a core belief that was instilled in you when you were younger, in a TA Game sense so that you can derive a certain "payoff" such as "enjoying" the resultant despondency. The "enjoying" sensation that you have subtly picked up on existing at the same time as the repulsion comes from satisfying the "demands" of an internalised parent-figure who kind of says "good boy/girl!" to your inner Child when you do something that keeps in line with the core belief (which may be on a conscious level, seemingly "negative"). For an intro to TA I'd recommend the seminal "Games People Play" and "I'm OK You're OK" which is not as banal as it sounds. There is also other work devoted to "Scripts" which we may predecide to base our life upon, in a long-term general sense, such as "Scripts People Live" by Claude Steiner, which I have yet to read.

However, I have to say, having gone through a great amount of introspection over such issues as these, I feel a certain amount of digging may be useful but as a Taoist or Zen master would have you realise the only place you exist and the only place you can act and be is now so you could say "fooey to all that digging malarkey" and direct more (non)effort into being how you want to be right now. In other words, the digging itself for "reasons" may become another roundabout on which you can endlessly ride, looking for the "perfect answer". So, you could use terms of ego and true-self for example, and when this kind of thing occurs say simply "Pfft, not the ego trying to get its drama again", sit back in the true self (which strangely relaxes there feeling "yep, everything's great <grin>" all the while) and choose elsewise. You might like to look at Eastern religions such as Zen, methods such as meditation or relaxation or pretty much, anything you want!

If you'd like a simple day-to-day approach you could ask of everything you feel and think "where did this come from, is it actually true and do I need it now?". If not throw it away! Most of the "emotions" we feel daily are just baloney, they are merely recorded Parent messages from childhood being replayed for reference, which robotically evoke the guaranteed "emotive response" as false yet convincing as it may appear. Such messages afforded protection for the young child growing up, but most of them are not actually necessary nor rational in Adult life.

The only place you are is now, and despite how all your psychological processes/ego rant and rave and thrash, you always have choice. Therein lies the great freedom! Whatever you do, always have fun, unless you don't want to, and (if you see what I mean) you can "enjoy" in a sense not having fun too.

thanks, bouncing. :)

i remember reading i'm okay, you're okay -- years ago. i'll have to look it up again. i've never heard of scripts people live. i'll check that out too.

i think we are also always fighting instinct. i think it may be instinctual to want to return to our roots, or even a place we once felt safe.

Mmmm. Or it could be simply that some locations are imbued with a particular atmosphere that gets under our skin. Initially, that atmosphere may not resonate with our inherent 'inner beat' and we may feel a repulsion similar to that demonstrated with 'like poles'. Over time however, we may accept that --- unwilling though we were to admit it at the time --- something about that location's atmosphere *did* satisfy something within us; a missing note within our internal melody, so to speak.

For instance, it was only years later that it dawned on me that what most personified the town I'd been so glad to leave, was a sense of stillness. The air seemed to hang motionless above and around that town. It excluded the rest of the world, or seemed to. The concerns of the wider world were filtered out. World news, tragedies, scandal, the general hurry-scurry of life .... all seemed to hit that invisible veil and dissipate. The town baked in the sun and stillness. Dogs sat for hours and stared into space. The place had the appearance and atmosphere of a timeless zone.

Although as children relocated there by our parents, we hated it. We'd been taken from a glorious beach-side lifestyle and dropped in what felt like a remote outpost on Mars. As 'outsiders' we had a hard time gaining acceptance from the town's children. We insisted there was 'nothing to do'. We initially had nothing in common with the hard-working farmer's children who all seemed to live several miles out of town. The drought was so severe the entire time we lived there that there were constant church services devoted to prayers for rain. Instead of the abundant tap-water we were used to, we had to become accustomed to surviving on the little water in our house's outdoor tanks, which were home for frogs, tadpoles and dead birds and possums ... until my father investigated the reasons for the weird black things coming out of the tap and discovered the crude mesh filters on the tanks were torn. Most hours of the day a gun could have been fired down the main street without fear of hitting anyone. Every family seemed to contain at least one mentally retarded member. These unfortunates were accepted by the townsfolk, but their behaviours were more than a bit disconcerting for we 'outsiders', until we learned to adjust to things.

The farmers were poor and scraping by, as was the land. Far from being content with their lot as is generally believed of country folk, the townsfolk and farmers were often bitter, nasty and petty. Even the weather was bizarre and couldn't be relied upon. One day sheets of corrugated iron fell from the sky and onto our school-ground, up on the hill. When we went home that afternoon, we learned something the farmers called a 'whirly-wind' had struck our detached garage, overturned my mother's car and uprooted a large, gnarly old tree in our yard. The sheets of iron which had plummeted out of the sky and onto our school yard half a mile away, had been our garage's roof. Saving grace was the fact the whirly-wind had spared our goat, which had been tethered nearby the garage.

The people seemed to us to be brutal beyond belief, and odd. In that small town lived a tiny David Niven type old man who was a Boer War veteran he said, far from his native England and fated never to return. There was a bona fide, old American Indian who'd somehow landed there and who worked as a slaughter-man. He told my father he'd come to Australia originally as part of a Wild West show. He was tiny and the most callous invidivual I've ever met, though quite polite to speak to. The village idiot and one of the town's citizens dressed identically, in dark, shabby suits and black hats with pointy crown and straight black brim all around. Though not related (we were assured), they both enjoyed creeping up behind you silently, in the dark if they could arrange it. They both had long, thin faces with pallid, melted-wax type features. The boys in the town were like little men at 13 and the girls had the worn, cowed expressions of old women. One, quite beautiful, aged eleven when I first met her, was apparently subject to habitual rape by her half-idiot father. She used to wet herself in class, poor thing, and was ridiculed. Another girl, who was only nine yet looked 60, was raped whilst walking home along a bush track after school. Nothing was done by anyone for either child. While we lived there, two small children from outlying farms were crushed to death beneath tractors. It was regarded as ' God's Will' rather than poor parenting. One girl, who looked very like the young Elizabeth Taylor, attempted to give herself an abortion apparently and nearly died from septicemia ... then suffered blindness, psychomatic possibly, and dropped out of school. Most farms contained tiny graves in the back paddock.

So, my dislike of the town was valid. But what of the haunting longing I later experienced?

Well, 25-plus years later, I drove back to that town when my own children were teenagers. I saw the surrounding countryside in new light, during the drive there. There were hillsides and fields completely covered with huge, commercially-grown yellow sunflowers, swaying in the wind. Bluffs and road-cuts of brilliant red soil, legacy of ancient volcanic activity. Tunnels of shadowy coolness, created by tree branches arching over the road. Then suddenly, the road would swing around a hillside to reveal a panoramic vista of rivers and rolling hills, far below. Off in the distance could be seen isolated farms, surrounded by fields of glorious-looking contour ploughing, often with small clumps of trees appearing like islands amidst the curving patterns of soil. We passed through half a dozen sleepy townships; seemingly self-contained and each with its own railway station, dairy, schools, business district. Finally we approached the tiny town where I'd once lived, and as we drove along the ridge I saw again the town's outlying farms and familiar rock formations. And it looked beautiful. Sure enough, as I drove through the 'spot', I sensed again the 'invisible veil' effect just before the descent into the town.

What I sometimes find myself longing for -- and which posting to this thread has helped clarify -- is the sense of peace that exists in the land surrounding the town and within the wider region. The region itself *is sparsely settled and *does possess a sense of remoteness and insulation against the concerns of the wider world. That sense of peace seems to float or hover above the ground; seems to imbue the air with a tangible stillness.

I remember walking through the bush with other kids, on the outskirts of town. Occasionally we'd stop to investigate an animal skeleton or some other thing, and I remember the total silence of it all. No cars or machinery or human sounds; just birds, insects and ... the sound of silence. During those exploratory walks, we'd sometimes climb a rock- strewn hill to discover perhaps the remnants of a homestead long gone. I remember one in particular, which I've dreamt of briefly as an adult. And what lingers is the sound of the wind through the trees, combined with the 'feeling' emerging from the forgotten homestead. Very peaceful. At rest. Very soothing to the mind. And to the spirit.

So I think now that I've worked out why that town has a haunting attraction which vies in memory with it's less appealling aspects; it's the peacefulness, the stillness, which hover in the air, in my memory. I've been to many beautiful, peaceful places, but it would seem none have possessed, or have managed to impress on my memory, the same sense of 'floating stillness' as surrounded that little, loathed town.

again6 said:
Most hours of the day a gun could have been fired down the main street without fear of hitting anyone.
That's a fairly unusual phrase, although oddly enough I heard someone use it about the town where I live only yesterday!

Most of the locals seem happy enough here, but there are some strange folk about. Just in the last few weeks there've been stories in the local press about a young woman raped, and a largish boat stolen. (Police said they were confident the rapist would be caught, and the boat theft would have required a lorry and heavy lift gear.)

Now it turns out there was no rape, and the girl has been charged by Police (presumably for wasting Police time).

And the boat was sawn up and burnt by the owner of the land it was on, because the boat owner had consistently refused to pay the rent!

:shock: :shock:

again6, you touched on something that does appeal to me about my weird little town. it is SO peaceful. so quiet. very little traffic, so errands are simple. and the isolation. yes, nothing touches these places. very few people there use the internet. those who have it, don't seem to use it. here in the states, all the talk is about hurricane katrina. i knew NOTHING of it until last night when i returned to minneapolis. and yet i read the local paper every morning while i was gone. it never contains any national news.

Yes, the two posts immediately above describe the isolationist attitudes that exist in certain places; the tendency to sort things out for themselves via 'rough justice' and a definite choosing to reject the wider world. Not at all what the New World Order crowd would be happy to hear ! But, come the predicted End of the World As We Know It, and these odd little communities will no doubt fare far better than those of us in cities.

Maybe the survivor in us is attuned to these places which we consciously reject and dislike? Maybe it nudges us every now and again and tells us we're suffering overload of information, stress, pressure, crowds? Maybe it reminds us there's a place we know where we can turn all that off as if by a magic button ... where we can discard the layers of our city-personnae (those layers being the equivalent of hard skin build-up on hands and heels).

We weren't born city-creatures, after all. Sometimes (often?) we unnecessarily complicate our lives. Certain independent, seemingly out-of-touch communities have a knack for stripping things down to essentials. Maybe these places resonate with something in us that recognises we need to do the same from time to time? Or permanently, as in the post above where the well-qualified man chose to return to his home town despite his friends' advice.

anne_of_28_days said:
here in the states, all the talk is about hurricane katrina. i knew NOTHING of it until last night when i returned to minneapolis. and yet i read the local paper every morning while i was gone. it never contains any national news.
I find that amazing. In the UK the local press tends to go the other way, looking for the most tenuous link with any major news stories:
"Wife of friend of mother of local man had car crushed in the XXX earthquake!" sort of thing.

Our local daily, the Western Morning News, always leads with local stories, but gives good coverage to national and international news on the inside pages.

Did you not follow radio or TV while you were away, Anne?

rynner said:
anne_of_28_days said:
here in the states, all the talk is about hurricane katrina. i knew NOTHING of it until last night when i returned to minneapolis. and yet i read the local paper every morning while i was gone. it never contains any national news.
I find that amazing. In the UK the local press tends to go the other way, looking for the most tenuous link with any major news stories:
"Wife of friend of mother of local man had car crushed in the XXX earthquake!" sort of thing.

Our local daily, the Western Morning News, always leads with local stories, but gives good coverage to national and international news on the inside pages.

Did you not follow radio or TV while you were away, Anne?

rynner, i never turned on the TV or radio the entire time -- totally my fault. i brought a case of CDs with me, because i knew how horrid the radio stations would be. otherwise i would have been forced to listen to things like freebird and cocaine. :D one night i ended up at a gay karaoke bar with a friend. most gay people i know are really progressive, but down there even the gays are hillbillies. it was completely charming. :)

and i've always gotten the idea that the local paper feels readers can get their disturbing news elsewhere.

again6 said:
Yes, the two posts immediately above describe the isolationist attitudes that exist in certain places; the tendency to sort things out for themselves via 'rough justice' and a definite choosing to reject the wider world. Not at all what the New World Order crowd would be happy to hear ! But, come the predicted End of the World As We Know It, and these odd little communities will no doubt fare far better than those of us in cities.

Maybe the survivor in us is attuned to these places which we consciously reject and dislike? Maybe it nudges us every now and again and tells us we're suffering overload of information, stress, pressure, crowds? Maybe it reminds us there's a place we know where we can turn all that off as if by a magic button ... where we can discard the layers of our city-personnae (those layers being the equivalent of hard skin build-up on hands and heels).

We weren't born city-creatures, after all. Sometimes (often?) we unnecessarily complicate our lives. Certain independent, seemingly out-of-touch communities have a knack for stripping things down to essentials. Maybe these places resonate with something in us that recognises we need to do the same from time to time? Or permanently, as in the post above where the well-qualified man chose to return to his home town despite his friends' advice.

again6, i've really enjoyed your posts on this subject. you've been able to capture and solidify aspects of weird town culture i'd previously feared just came from my own slanted viewpoint.
but i think your town has mine beat as far as weirdness factor goes. :D

This subject has really struck a cord with me. I've never lived anywhere else, but I'm wondering now if this small town I live in is as much to blame for the way I am as I am. I was going to say how the town is empty of life, but it's not... I think I just see it that way. I hardly ever go across town, the post office is the only reason I go there. But the last time I did, I marveled to the woman clerk that I almost got ran over trying to cross the street, where-as when I was a teen, you could expect the cars to stop for you if you wanted to cross there. Now they're flying past like crazy.

I don't know very many people in this town, and I've lived here all my life. I keep to myself, I mind my own business. I think that's mostly because the people you DO know here are pretty scary! It's funny, they're either really snobby, or really scummy. :?

the bad thing about a small town is that you can't go anywhere -- out to eat, to the store, walk down the street -- without running into somebody you don't want to see. i quickly found myself slinking around town, ducking down store aisles to avoid people. :D that's a weird way to exist.

My home town was sort of like that, even though it wasn't exactly small (~50,000 souls). On the rare occasion I go back, it feels like this little urban bubble in the middle of nowhere, which I suppose it is (almost 2 hours to the next sizable place). Also, the news, culture etc. in Ontario is heavily slanted to the south, so it was easy to feel like everything was happening far away.

My home town was like that - everyone knew your business. The first time I went to NYC, I went a little nuts knowing I'd never see any of these people again in my life. Very liberating!

But back to the subject - there's lots of compelling decay here in the US midwest, and lots of dead or dying towns. There's just something ineffable about a crumbling cement plant that's slowly being reclaimed by the surrounding woods that's a little like finding a lost Aztec temple.

I'm not tempted to move to these little towns, though.

'When you stare into an abyss, the abyss stares also into you'.

All of this brings to mind a short story I read in one of those literary science-fiction digests (Isaac Asimov, Analog, etc.) back when I was a kid, wherein a strange little town somehow gains sentience, and begins luring back former residents (''I let you go once, now you'll never leave'').

As an aside, I just learned that the state-maintained storage facility I visited will be relocated to a more populous area before the end of the year, as the folks in charge can't justify the expense of keeping the yard open in such an out-of-the-way place. If I'm assigned to the transport detail, I'll try to take some pictures, and upload one here so everyone can see the town in all it's rustic (and rusty) splendor.

funny. this thread reminds me of 'As I Lay Dying' by William Faulkner. Not only did I read it with revulsion, which seems to have been replaced by this kind of nostalgic fascination (I often think of it) but it seems to take place travelling through the kind of rust towns and small communities you're all talking about. It's a common feeling though, really isn't it? This fascination and loathing? that's why we love horror. and why the spouse who loathes your best mate ends up sh-gging them. I think there may be more 'ghost towns' in America as when towns spring up around industries in Britain and the industry dies there isn't enough room to abandon the town and move elsewhere. We're forced to regenerate. And a lot of people are forced to return to home towns to get the grandparental childcare needed for working families these days. Wierd feelings or no wierd feelings! I found it wierd because the town was the same and the old folk still there (crikey they live long!) but my peers had gone. It was like there'd been a cull. Slowly but surely though they're coming back as they have families too. Even the ones who went to Australia are coming back. I suppose familiarity breeds contempt until you feel insecure/vulnerable.

ignatiusII said:
I'll try to take some pictures, and upload one here so everyone can see the town in all it's rustic (and rusty) splendor.

that would be cool. :)

Back