• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Client

LOL i know a good story ......up the north of ireland there was an old guy whos family bought him a video for christmass he turns round and says "that video is a load of crap, ive plugged it in to everywhere on this radio and i still cant see any pictures" LOL

About 30 years ago, I worked in the BBC's programme enquiries dept. as a typist. We all had to take turns answering the enquiries phone, which terrified me because I could never find the answers fast enough. As you can imagine, a fair number of strange people liked to phone the BBC. One boy got a man asking where he could get a rope, so he could hang himself. Heartlessly, my colleague put him through to the stage properties dept. One day I got a very sane and lucid woman who said, "This may sound strange to you, but it is perfectly real to me," and then told me that she was in Hell and needed to speak to the vicar who had just given a sermon on the radio. I put her on hold and tried the studio, but he had gone. When I told her, she sounded considerably more desperate than before. I should have asked her what she meant by 'in Hell' but it was too weird, so I just apologised.

I suppose it's easier if you can answer questions on the phone. One of my daughters works part time on the local council reception desk, taking rates money and giving advice on general council matters. One day just after she started she was surprised to see all the other staff suddenly make themselves scarce. She went to help the woman who had just come in and she pulled out a list of questions she had prepared, none of which were anything to do with the council. She tried to help her anyway but was rather nonplussed when the woman said that she had spiders on the clothesline and what would council do about it? My daughter suggested she get some insect spray and she went away happy. Apparently she was a frequent visitor and the other staff knew her.

Back