• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

strange creatures!

goth13girl666

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
i was messing around on google today and came across these strange looking creatures.

weird_creature_lg.jpg

dragon-slug.jpg

the scond one is weird and strange but looks beautiful.

i have no idea what it is i found the picture thought i would post it up as i have never seen anything like this before it sort of looks like it has the body of a large fish or small shark, flippers, a spike/fin of some sort sticking up near its head, and the frnt looks like a sqaushed end of a sword fish front.

i was hoping someone might be able to tell me what it is?

The second one looks like one of the very early fish. I saw that image before, falsely attributed as something that had washed ashore in a hurricane. I wouldn't be surprised if these are just plain fake.

/killjoy hat on/ Do we have rules about image leeching? It's generally considered poor netiquette /killjoy hat off/

Fats_Tuesday said:
Hi Gothgirl. There's some freaky stuff in the seas!

The first is a long-nosed chimaera fish of the family Rhinochimaeridae, a cartilaginous deep sea fish, related to sharks. Specifically, I think it's actually a Pacific spookfish Rhinochimaera pacificus

The second is a mollusc, not a fish. It's a blue sea slug Glaucus atlanticus

thanks for that i really like how the second one looks all the colours the bright blue i love my sea animals and just wondered what they were. :D

/killjoy hat on/ Do we have rules about image leeching? It's generally considered poor netiquette /killjoy hat off/

it's even less fun when the person you leech from get's peed off and replaces the file with a tubgirl image :shock:

once seen, never forgotten :oops:

I feel dumb for not being able to identify the sea slug. I should have known that one!

in reply to UsedtobChrisFord: i really like the blue one which i now know is a sea slug!

in reply to Mister_Awesome: i would never of guessed it was a sea slug it looks so beautiful dont it?

goth13girl666 said:
in reply to UsedtobChrisFord: i really like the blue one which i now know is a sea slug!

in reply to Mister_Awesome: i would never of guessed it was a sea slug it looks so beautiful dont it?

I've seen those before, though! It rung a bell, but I just couldn't figure it out. :)

BlackRiverFalls said:

it's even less fun when the person you leech from get's peed off and replaces the file with a tubgirl image :shock:

once seen, never forgotten :oops:

:rofl: that's so wrong! I love it!

Giant worm found in Cornwall
10:57am Tuesday 17th March 2009

Aquarists at the Blue Reef Aquarium in Newquay have discovered the identity of a mysterious killer that had been devastating their coral reef display over recent months.

Staff had been puzzled by violent attacks on their fragile living reefs – in some cases the corals had been literally cut in half.

After staking out the display for several weeks, aquarists decided as a last resort to take it apart rock by rock.

Halfway through the process the terrifying perpetrator was finally revealed - a monstrous four-foot-long giant reef worm.

Staff eventually lured it out with fish scraps – but not before it bit through 20lb fishing line.

Curator Matt Slater said: “As part of our tropical marine displays we have been painstakingly propagating a variety of corals. They are extremely slow-growing and every one we have lost to these attacks was a major blow.

“In the end it got so bad that I decided to literally take the display apart to find out who was responsible. I could hardly believe my eyes when I finally caught sight of the culprit.

“It really does look like something out of a horror movie! It’s over four feet long with these bizarre-looking jaws. Having done some research we also discovered that it is covered with thousands of bristles which are capable of inflicting a sting resulting in permanent numbness'.”

Matt believes it probably arrived as a juvenile in a delivery of living rock from another aquarium.

After being carefully removed the worm – which has been nicknamed ‘Barry’ by staff – has been re-located into its own tank, safely away from the coral.

“Obviously we’re reluctant to feed it on any more of our living coral so we are currently looking at alternatives. Some references suggest it may also feed on seaweed so we’ll try it on that in the short term,” added Matt.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/tr ... _Cornwall/

Wow - thanks for that - a new creature for me, that I've never come across before. Cheers! May have to pay a visit to the aquarium and check it out.

Fats_Tuesday said:
Wow - thanks for that - a new creature for me, that I've never come across before. Cheers! May have to pay a visit to the aquarium and check it out.
Yes, I recommend the Aquarium, although I haven't been for a couple of years. Perhaps it's time for another visit. (It's way better than the one in Plymouth, IMHO!)

Snigger - Barry - snigger

Looks truly terrifying, i'm sure if I came across that i'd soil my wetsuit.

Cornish giant worm has a friend - in Atlanta and he is bigger
5:10pm Monday 21st December 2009
By Stephen Ivall »

A report on this site of a giant seaworm called Barry which found its way to the Sealife Centre in Newquay in the Autumn helped a couple thousands of miles away in Atlanta.

”Thank you for writing about the giant sea worm in Cornwall,” said Carey Sipp Kameika from “Your story helped so much as I explained what was living in our tank to my husband and the guys who came to extract our worm. Our worm is like Barry, only longer. It is six feet!

We were "de-wormed" by a private aquarium servicing company in the Atlanta area. Our worm was about six feet long. It broke in half, however, as it was being moved from the net to the transport tank.”

Apparently Carey’s worm came in on some rock that had been in friend's tank for many, many years.

“The first time we saw it we were shocked,” she said.

“Our tank is just 95 gallons. Our creature chomped through several chunks of valuable coral each night and also took out a couple of small, beloved fish as well as a couple of valuable crabs. I believe it was dormant for the first few months the rock was in our tank, but when it "woke up" it woke up hungry.”

The Atlanta worm is called Carl.

“Like marine creature lovers at Cornwall, I do not want our worm destroyed (it did break in half when it was captured, but we were told that it did that in much the same way a lizard sheds its tail to get away from a predator, and that it is likely that the worm will grow another head. Right now it is "parked" at the fish store and they are caring for it until we get it placed at an appropriate marine research facility or at the Georgia Aquarium. We are hoping the Georgia Aquarium will want it, though we have yet to hear back from them.”

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... is_bigger/

If you like the sea slug, I really recommend this photo book:

41aa7pB7rFL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-langu ... uage=en_JP

It’s small and cute and printed with a six-colour process so that the incredible colours of these animals really glow.*

And if you really like sea slugs, the same guy now has a DVD out:

http://www.umiushi-dvd.com/

*) Do you like animal books printed in six colours? Don’t miss The Smaller Majority by Piotr Naskrecki, a terrific book by a real expert:
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/features/nassma/

...not sure if this Sun story has been posted, but here we go:

Mystery Beast Terrified Kids
17 Sep 2009

"TERRIFIED locals in a South American town are running scared after a strange creature they describe as "Gollum" crawled out of a lake and charged schoolkids.
The beast — which has "sparked fear and confusion" in the small town of Cerro Azul, Panama — was spotted on Saturday when four 14 to 16-year-olds were playing by the waterfront.
According to their account, reported by Panamanian news service Telemetro, the youngsters "screamed" when the five-foot creature emerged from a cave and started clambouring over rocks towards them "as if to attack them".
In a "desperate bid to defend themselves" the four terrified boys said they hurled rocks at the strange creature to kill it, before throwing its corpse in the water and running away.
Their disbelieving parents returned to the lake the following day — and were stunned to discovered the beast's body washed up on the shore."

pics of Mere-Gollum here:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -kids.html

HUDSON BAY CREATURE

Strange creature with warthog's mouth found in Canada
A strange creature has washed up on the shore of Hudson Bay in Canada with a mouth like that of a warthog, according to local reports.
Published: 12:55AM BST 22 May 2010

Photographs have been posted online appearing to show a foot-long creature with a large head, a mouth like a warthog and a rat-like tail.

It was found, reported the Toronto Sun, by a pair of dog walker near the small community of Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug.

The dog pulled it from a creek on the bay, according to the paper.

Darryl Sainnawap, a local councillor, said he thought it was a rare animal which was found very sporadically.

He said a relative had found one in the 1950s.

"It's very rare. It lives in creeks and swampy areas and is said to feed on beavers," he told the paper.

"My great-uncle was told by his grandfather that a sighting of the omagimaakos is an omen that bad things will happen,” Sainnawap said.

“So we'll have to see about that."

Scientists wishing to authenticate the find will be disappointed to hear that the body of the creature has since been washed away. :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... anada.html

Back