• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange find on my lawn

kiel_d

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A bit of an odd one... maybe someone can help.

I found on my back lawn yesterday morning a bundle of long thin sticks bound with a yellow ribbon. Having a very sketchy grounding in magic i could remember reading about spells that use similar objects to this, but not of one identical.

I haven't any more details as i thought i'd check with you lot before i go poking around.

any thoughts or advice... or calls to just throw it in the bin, would be greatly welcomed.

--kiel--

Dunno mate...

Maybe they were dropped by naked cavorting pagans, running with wild abandon from a Lammas festival?:p

Actually, I've found a few similar things in the countryside lately near sacred sites. Entwined twigs, sticks with feathers, beads and coloured cord, paper scrolls bound with ribbons, even a piece of card with a poem on one side and various designs on the reverse.
Offerings or spells?
(I never opened the scrolls to read them, left 'em be to do their thang!)...

Got a stone circle in your back garden Kiel?

Or maybe the local allotment society is missing a bundle of pea-sticks?
:)

I did have a crop circle of sorts about this time last year.... i got drunk one day and put up my tent and left it there for about a month.... hey presto crop-hexagon.

Maybe they were leaving an offering to see if the shape would return..... i'm always happy to drink, all they had to do was ask!

So far i'm pointing towards throwing it in the bin....

I'd fasten it to the fence and leave an amateurish-looking bouquet on the ground underneath.

Instant pagan shrine! ;)

Do you know anybody who's gotten out of gaol recently?

Just thought I'd ask.

Another thing to try would be to replace it with an identical bundle (or the same bundle, really) with a different coloured ribbon. See what happens.

gaol...... not that i know of... but now i'm worried, care to expand? :(

I'm thinking of selling my house soon...maybe a pagan shrine would add a couple of quid? ;)

Tie a Yellow Ribbon ('Round the Old Oak Tree) by Tony Orlando.

That's two song references that people have missed today. I need to update my act.

Oh i got that..... i thought you were suggesting something sinister

Phew! :)

No, it's just that the song's about a guy getting out of prison. That's all.

*consults big book o' spells and fings*

could be Knot magic, a binding of the sticks by the yellow ribbon for someones use.

'd fasten it to the fence and leave an amateurish-looking bouquet on the ground underneath. Instant pagan shrine!

hehehe, better bung a 5 pointed star in there two for added effect.

more than likely its some 10 year olds who were playing with stick and ribbons near by and one ended up on your front green (im scotish that means lawn).

kiel,

I suggest taking pre-emptive steps assuming it to be local wanabe magical/spiritual practitioners. Wrap it in tin foil and surround it in a ring of eggs or something! Whatever fool left this mess on your lawn will be convinced that you are a more accomplished mage than they are and back off. Kinda like waiting three moves in chess, resigning, shaking hands warmly with your opponent and congratulating him on the genius of his move.
;)

How about yarrow stalks (as used in the I Ching)?

Not that I'd know what a yarrow stalk looks like...! :D

More on Yarrow here

I'll get my mates round and have a Spinal-Tapesque dance around a small stone henge... that should frighten them off.....

Wrap it in a piece of cloth and throw it into running water(no...not down the loo!!) and if it's a problem that should cancel it out..the stick thing with the ribbon..

Sounds like some sage advice.....

will sort it tomorrow (incidentally i did throw water on it earlier by accident)

must cancel the dancing.......

The Yithian said:
Wrap it in tin foil and surround it in a ring of eggs or something!
;)

You could combine two experiments in one and surround it with dog eggs - just to keep up with the Forum zeitgeist.

These would be the much sought-after Holy White Dog Eggs, of course.

Naturally, although the addition of a few normal eggs, left for long enough, could provide some much needed research into the formulation of these divine canine offerings.

Time for me to switch thread I think...........................

You Do That Hoodoo That You Do So Well

Aye, sticks wrapped in yellow ribbon.

Sounds like Mr. Ray T. Malbrough to me--a master with the religion--if it is a religion--of Hoodoo.

From what I recall from Charms, Spells and Formulas that most Hoodoo spells are buried on the victim's (Person who spell is cast upon) property.

Yellow is supposed to mean personal gain...or is that orange?

Here's a link chock full o' hoodoo-ish:

Click Here for the Lucky Mojo website.

Back