• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Folk (Not Obviously Human!)

remenber when this thread was about anomalous people? and not about weird people?
i do

@humanoidlord - get thee to the latest FT mag 379, there's a lovely IHTM story about a weird "dad" and his two "children" who spooked a shop assistant, and when they went back to review the CCTV to make sure that had really happened... the relevant half hour was blank!

There's also a story about a weird old lady inquiring about relationships. Both tales involve the Oz factor.

@humanoidlord - get thee to the latest FT mag 379, there's a lovely IHTM story about a weird "dad" and his two "children" who spooked a shop assistant, and when they went back to review the CCTV to make sure that had really happened... the relevant half hour was blank!

There's also a story about a weird old lady inquiring about relationships. Both tales involve the Oz factor.
the Beyond Creepy youtube channel also features a lot of stories of this type

Well, i remember my mother telling me, maybe 25 years ago it would be, that she and her friend had just seen a Leprechaun. As far as i recall, my mother was returning home from shopping and was walking along a street that had a bit of a grass embankment sloping up to a wire fence of some kind which enclosed some wasteground or maybe an industrial unit, (I cant claify any of these details or even pinpoint where the incident happened as my mother is now dead.) Anyway there were a few trees planted along this embankment and my mother saw what she initially thought to be a child sitting cross legged beneath one, it appeared to be carving or whittling a stick, as she got closer she realised it was a very small old man,......anyway.........just as she realised this, she saw her pal coming the opposite way and started to wave to her, momentarilly taking her eyes off the little figure. Just then she heard what she described to me as a series of high pitched musical notes, and when she turned to look, the little man had vanished!,,,,,,....wait it gets better..........when she looked back at her friend, her friends expression was one of absolute wide eyed shock, apparently the little man had been carving a whistle of some sort and he played it then just vanished into thin air! My mother told me this over a rather long and excited phone conversation, and i've no doubt that she and her friend saw something very strange.

Blunderman:

Just for the sake of clarity ... Did your mother's friend see the little fellow, too? Your account isn't clear on that point.

Just then she heard what she described to me as a series of high pitched musical notes, and when she turned to look, the little man had vanished!,,,,,,....wait it gets better..........when she looked back at her friend, her friends expression was one of absolute wide eyed shock, apparently the little man had been carving a whistle of some sort and he played it then just vanished into thin air!

*nods* 'twas Pan.

This thread was started for the discussion of folks so weird you questioned whether they were human (versus supernatural / alien / mythic / etc.).

This thread has now been purged of all posts relating to "strange folks" of the everyday variety (eccentrics / cranks / nutters / run-of-the-mill jerks / etc.). Posts relating to such everyday weirdos have all been moved to:

Odd People (Human, But Strange: Cranks; Eccentrics; Nutters; Etc.)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-strange-cranks-eccentrics-nutters-etc.69685/

Unless you suspect the weirdo you wish to mention may not be human, please post in that other thread (where circa 90% of the posts from this thread were moved).

Once upon a time, I was travelling alone in Japan, and came to a small town called Takayama, famous for its temples, sake breweries and old buildings. An interesting place to visit.

While on my way to visit the town's main Shinto shrine, I was surprised by a heavy rainpour and choose to hide under a roof overhanging the side of the main street.

Alas my shelter was not so great, and I soon ended up soaked from head to toe. But I was young and brave, back then, and acted as if it was only a minor nuisance.

I was almost alone in the street, and assumed that because of the rain most passers-by had retreated to the safety of their homes. Nothing strange about it.

There was a small pastry shop on the other side of the street, where a middle aged lady with long, flowing white hair was working. I noticed she was inviting me to come to her side of the street. I wondered what she wanted, so I crossed the deserted road to join her.

She proceeded offering me a small cake. As a wary tourist, used to travelling in mainland China, I immediately suspected she wanted to sell me her cakes. So I vehemently made signs (I did not speak Japanese) to make myself understood : I did not intend to buy anything.

To my surprise, she kept insisting on offering me her small cake. So finally, I accepted to take it. It was one of these Japanese cakes filled with sweet red bean paste. The cake's taste felt so warming. It was really comforting. She smiled serenely while I ate it.

She was very peculiar. Her long hair seemed naturally white as if she was an elderly lady, but her face did not match this picture. Her skin was smooth and yet I couldn't see any trace of make up on her. I was left wondering how old she could be ... For a moment, I wondered if she could be one of these immortals and fairies from the Asian lore. Because it was really impossible to assess her age, from her appearance. Taken one by one, her features seemed completely natural, but together, it simply did not match. It left me the feeling that she was "ageless". Ageless and radiating benevolence. It was unsettling, but I thought, "hey ! those Japanese ladies surely know how to use cosmetics !".

I was deeply moved by this shopkeeper's initiative to offer one of her cakes to a wandering stranger lost in the storm, especially since I had been confronted to acts of racism towards caucasian singles in other parts of Japan ...

But, I was young, and stubborn, and I had previously decided that I would never be lured to buy any of her cakes. So, seeing that the rain was abating, I did my best to thank her, and then left towards the shrine.

After walking for less than a mile, I thought that it was actually rude not to do something to repay this act of compassionate generosity towards a distraught foreigner. So I decided to go back to the shop and do the only thing I could imagine ... Buy some cakes !

To my surprise, the lady with white hair was no longer behind the counter. She had completely vanished. The shop keepers were now a couple of middle age people with black hair.
I found it strange. These two were not there when I was offered my cake ...

I checked my map, I checked the surrounding buildings. I was at the right place. But the lady with white hairs was no longer there.

I stayed two or three nights in Takayama, but never saw her again. Neither did I meet any other people looking like her anywhere in Japan. For yes, there were some youngsters with weird hairstyles, but none with such astounding features, none giving this impression to be ageless, outside of time.

So, in retrospective, I wonder if she was human at all. There was something divine, or spiritual in her appearance and demeanour. A very impressive sight, and yet, a completely, unnaturally peaceful one.

I must add that after this unsettling encounter, I went to the Shinto shrine. There, a few locals were marvelling at something among the foundations of the temple. I came close, to see what they were looking at, and saw a very large snake, lying among the rocks.

Once upon a time, I was travelling alone in Japan, and came to a small town called Takayama, famous for its temples, sake breweries and old buildings. An interesting place to visit.

While on my way to visit the town's main Shinto shrine, I was surprised by a heavy rainpour and choose to hide under a roof overhanging the side of the main street.

Alas my shelter was not so great, and I soon ended up soaked from head to toe. But I was young and brave, back then, and acted as if it was only a minor nuisance.

I was almost alone in the street, and assumed that because of the rain most passers-by had retreated to the safety of their homes. Nothing strange about it.

There was a small pastry shop on the other side of the street, where a middle aged lady with long, flowing white hair was working. I noticed she was inviting me to come to her side of the street. I wondered what she wanted, so I crossed the deserted road to join her.

She proceeded offering me a small cake. As a wary tourist, used to travelling in mainland China, I immediately suspected she wanted to sell me her cakes. So I vehemently made signs (I did not speak Japanese) to make myself understood : I did not intend to buy anything.

To my surprise, she kept insisting on offering me her small cake. So finally, I accepted to take it. It was one of these Japanese cakes filled with sweet red bean paste. The cake's taste felt so warming. It was really comforting. She smiled serenely while I ate it.

She was very peculiar. Her long hair seemed naturally white as if she was an elderly lady, but her face did not match this picture. Her skin was smooth and yet I couldn't see any trace of make up on her. I was left wondering how old she could be ... For a moment, I wondered if she could be one of these immortals and fairies from the Asian lore. Because it was really impossible to assess her age, from her appearance. Taken one by one, her features seemed completely natural, but together, it simply did not match. It left me the feeling that she was "ageless". Ageless and radiating benevolence. It was unsettling, but I thought, "hey ! those Japanese ladies surely know how to use cosmetics !".

I was deeply moved by this shopkeeper's initiative to offer one of her cakes to a wandering stranger lost in the storm, especially since I had been confronted to acts of racism towards caucasian singles in other parts of Japan ...

But, I was young, and stubborn, and I had previously decided that I would never be lured to buy any of her cakes. So, seeing that the rain was abating, I did my best to thank her, and then left towards the shrine.

After walking for less than a mile, I thought that it was actually rude not to do something to repay this act of compassionate generosity towards a distraught foreigner. So I decided to go back to the shop and do the only thing I could imagine ... Buy some cakes !

To my surprise, the lady with white hair was no longer behind the counter. She had completely vanished. The shop keepers were now a couple of middle age people with black hair.

I checked my map, I checked the surrounding buildings. I was at the right place. But the lady with white hairs was no longer there.

I stayed two or three nights in Takayama, but never saw her again. Neither did I meet any other people looking like her anywhere in Japan. For yes, there were some youngsters with weird hairstyles, but none with such astounding features, none giving this impression to be ageless, outside of time.

So, in retrospective, I wonder if she was human at all. There was something divine, or spiritual in her appearance and demeanour. A very impressive sight, and yet, a completely, unnaturally peaceful one.

I must add that after this unsettling encounter, I went to the Shinto shrine. There, a few locals were marvelling at something among the foundations of the temple. I came close, to see what they were looking at, and saw a very large snake, lying among the rocks.
Japanese people do tend to age very well.
It sounds as if you experienced an unusual event.

Albino shrine attendant?
Hahaha ! I do not think so ... She did not look like the other albinos I've met. On the other hand I have never met a Japanese albino, so who knows ?

It still prefer to think of her as a kind of angel, because of her "supernatural" kindness ... Not because I want to believe in angels, but because I want to believe we can all turn "godly" when we accomplish selfless, benevolent gestures towards other people.

To be fair I know two women who have gone prematurely grey. They have very smooth faces (one is quite a bit older than the other, one must be in her early 60s but her face is absolutely smooth as though she's never been in the sun, the other is in her early thirties and has the appropriate wrinkles and lines - ie not many, but the grey hair would lead you to believe she was much older).

So the lady may not have been as old as her hair led you to believe. And maybe she just offered you a cake because you were obviously foreign, soaking wet and slightly confused?

To be fair I know two women who have gone prematurely grey. They have very smooth faces (one is quite a bit older than the other, one must be in her early 60s but her face is absolutely smooth as though she's never been in the sun, the other is in her early thirties and has the appropriate wrinkles and lines - ie not many, but the grey hair would lead you to believe she was much older).

So the lady may not have been as old as her hair led you to believe. And maybe she just offered you a cake because you were obviously foreign, soaking wet and slightly confused?
That may be. But I prefer to remember this event with a touch of poetry.

An old gf had thick black hair that was almost entirely grey, by the time she was in her mid-twenties.

You mentioned that you travelled to a shinto shrine. I'm assuming that this was not far from the bakery. Perhaps she was kitsune.

From Wikipedia:
In Japanese folklore, kitsune(, キツネ, IPA: [kʲi̥t͡sɯne̞](listen)), are foxes that possess paranormal abilities that increase as they get older and wiser.

Kitsune have become closely associated with Inari, a Shintokami or spirit, and serve as its messengers. This role has reinforced the fox's supernatural significance. The more tails a kitsune has—they may have as many as nine—the older, wiser, and more powerful it is. Because of their potential power and influence, some people make sacrifices to them as to a deity.

• The zenko (善狐, lit. 'good foxes') are benevolent, celestial foxes associated with Inari; they are sometimes simply called Inari foxes in English.
Full link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune

I wonder if you met the Amazake banbā? She is the counterpart to the Amazake-babaa supernatural spirit : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazake-babaa

Very interesting account, would like to hear more about this. A friend of mine had a strange experience in the 80's (Well documented on here) although she had jet black hair. Read here: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/meeting-nicola.68010/ Did she have pale skin? and did you notice anything about her eyes? Cases like this usually mention the skin, hair, and eyes as standing out from the mundane. PS Did you like the Imagawayaki cake? Being someone interested in Japanese folklore and history , like mentioned above it does bare resemblance to incidents with the Kitsune. As it's getting to Halloween here is a Kitsune encounter in Okinawa during the Vietnam war.

Very interesting account, would like to hear more about this. A friend of mine had a strange experience in the 80's (Well documented on here) although she had jet black hair. Read here: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/meeting-nicola.68010/ Did she have pale skin? and did you notice anything about her eyes? Cases like this usually mention the skin, hair, and eyes as standing out from the mundane. PS Did you like the Imagawayaki cake? Being someone interested in Japanese folklore and history , like mentioned above it does bare resemblance to incidents with the Kitsune. As it's getting to Halloween here is a Kitsune encounter in Okinawa during the Vietnam war.
Yep. I remember your "Nicola thread". A remarkable story, indeed.

Now regarding my "encounter" : It happened in the summer of 2012, I think. That's some time ago, and my memories are starting to fail me on the details. I described in my post almost everything I could remember clearly. For sure, the ageless lady's skin looked very smooth, with no wrinkles at all. Was it pale ? Honestly, I don't remember. But her hair was "pure white" and well combed. I do not remember anything special about her eyes. That may be due to my shyness ... At that time, I would have found difficult to gaze straight at the eyes of this lady for more than a second. Anyway, if her eyes had had an uncanny look, I would probably have noticed it nonetheless, especially since she was smiling at me. So I guess she had "normal", friendly eyes.

If my memory is correct, there was at least something seductive in the "Nicola" of your thread. In my own encounter, this aspect is totally absent. I never felt any kind of attraction or "manly" desire towards the lady. I was simply overcome by a sense of awe and gratitude. And funnily enough, I still feel this sense of gratitude right now, nearly twelve years later ... The importance I give to this memory of a tiny act of compassion is somewhat bizarrely out of proportions with the simplicity of the gesture. Each time I think about this adventure, I feel as if a pink flower was blossoming in my bossom.

So, yes, maybe she was a benevolent Kitsune, from the Inari-folk. Maybe she was a kami of some sorts, a bodhisattva ("bosatsu ?") or the friendly ghost of a former shopkeeper ? Or maybe she was simply a beautiful and well-braid person who impressed me by doing the right thing at the right moment, when I was far away from my home, lost in a foreign country which language I did not understand ? Even in that case, what this lady expressed that day was, in my opinion, of divine nature. In our world full of rage and fury, acting humanly looks godly.

And yes, the cake was excellent. Very "comforting" on a rainy day.

Yep. I remember your "Nicola thread". A remarkable story, indeed.

Now regarding my "encounter" : It happened in the summer of 2012, I think. That's some time ago, and my memories are starting to fail me on the details. I described in my post almost everything I could remember clearly. For sure, the ageless lady's skin looked very smooth, with no wrinkles at all. Was it pale ? Honestly, I don't remember. But her hair was "pure white" and well combed. I do not remember anything special about her eyes. That may be due to my shyness ... At that time, I would have found difficult to gaze straight at the eyes of this lady for more than a second. Anyway, if her eyes had had an uncanny look, I would probably have noticed it nonetheless, especially since she was smiling at me. So I guess she had "normal", friendly eyes.

If my memory is correct, there was at least something seductive in the "Nicola" of your thread. In my own encounter, this aspect is totally absent. I never felt any kind of attraction or "manly" desire towards the lady. I was simply overcome by a sense of awe and gratitude. And funnily enough, I still feel this sense of gratitude right now, nearly twelve years later ... The importance I give to this memory of a tiny act of compassion is somewhat bizarrely out of proportions with the simplicity of the gesture. Each time I think about this adventure, I feel as if a pink flower was blossoming in my bossom.

So, yes, maybe she was a benevolent Kitsune, from the Inari-folk. Maybe she was a kami of some sorts, a bodhisattva ("bosatsu ?") or the friendly ghost of a former shopkeeper ? Or maybe she was simply a beautiful and well-braid person who impressed me by doing the right thing at the right moment, when I was far away from my home, lost in a foreign country which language I did not understand ? Even in that case, what this lady expressed that day was, in my opinion, of divine nature. In our world full of rage and fury, acting humanly looks godly.

And yes, the cake was excellent. Very "comforting" on a rainy day.
In Japan every little gesture is treated with importance and ceremony (Take the Tea ceremony for instance), and the gesture given to you that day, even thoughth only a small act, as had positve vibes for you down all these years. I plan to visit Japan in the future. Want to visit Miyamoto Musashi's cave, where he wrote "The Book of five rings", visit the battle field of Sekigahara, and finally take in Tokyo. And who knows, maybe have my own Kitsune encounter ;) .

Attachments

• kitsune.jpg
    kitsune.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 9
In Japan every little gesture is treated with importance and ceremony (Take the Tea ceremony for instance), and the gesture given to you that day, even thoughth only a small act, as had positve vibes for you down all these years. I plan to visit Japan in the future. Want to visit Miyamoto Musashi's cave, where he wrote "The Book of five rings", visit the battle field of Sekigahara, and finally take in Tokyo. And who knows, maybe have my own Kitsune encounter ;) .
I wish you can realize this project someday. Just make sure you don't wear hawaiian shirts while touring around, as you might be taken for an "American" (it happened to me, which gave me an interesting yet most unpleasant insight into what it feels being discriminated because of your physical appearance [in Kyoto, Hiroshima and Matsumoto - although the Matsumoto case was especially unusual and unexpected]).

Now, regarding the Wartime Stories video, I watched it yesterday evening and I am pretty convinced that it is pure fantasy. It's an issue I have with most videos published by this YouTube channel. They claim to report events that actually took place, as told by largely anonymous veterans (or with names of people you can't actually trace back to any actual living person). Their claims are usually unsubstantiated, the sources absent or impossible to check, and worst of all, they tend to be heavily influenced by American Bible Belt beliefs (for instance : biblical "giants" decimating a whole battalion of marines in Afghanistan - without leaving any trace in the official records) or Holywoodian folklore.

Here we get a typical mix up of Western and Asian tropes. Seductive foxes, shapeshifting in order to lead men astray are a core feature of the "fox spirit" myth in Asia. There is no lack of classical sources developping this theme. However, the idea of a fox actually eating a man alive and licking his blood ... I've never seen that in Asian documents. I am not saying it doesn't exist. I just find it more reminiscent of our Western horror movie obsessions than of Asian culture.

In Asia, you may find stories of "Oni" (demons), rakshasa, or even were-tigers physically eating people. But foxes .... Hmmm. That's a quite a rarity. And I think here it betrays a totally made up story, specifically tailored for a Western audience, as the final gunfight with the creature by the way ...

From what I have learned, "evil" foxes are supposed to suck men's vital energy ("Qi" in Chinese, or "Ki" in Japanese) in order to nourrish their spiritual practices, as absorbing human Yang Qi provides them with a means to become immortal. This absorption is achieved through intensive sexual intercourse. Sexual vampirism is well documented in ancient Chinese taoist texts, either as a way to "patch" (补 "bu") one's deficient energy, or as a condemned "unorthodox" / deviant practice to be avoided at all costs. In Chinese folklore, old foxes strive towards immortality through many different practices, but they are especially feared for this "succubus tactic". By the way, this fear might have been handy to deter naive young single men from abusing lonely beauties in the countryside.

The second major aspect of the "fox" myth was their "trickster" behaviour. This covers scary and uncanny encounters as well as poltergeist behaviour. An often forgotten fact about the Asian fox legends is that, most of the time, they were not seen, but only heard. They would be blamed for moving or throwing objects while staying invisible. There is a novel in Pu Songling's tales (or Ji Yun's - I don't remember) telling how an old mansion was haunted by a "fox" poltergeist who used to bombard incomers with excrements. In the last century, John Blofeld reports a similar belief in Beijing, telling of a courtyard tree who was said to be "haunted" by an invisible "fox" who would play tricks on those who had inadvertently "offended" him.

These two dimensions of the fox sometimes merged to form the figure of the malevolent seductress taking delight in wreaking havoc in the world just for fun (unless there is a hidden environmental agenda behind this ... I'm joking). King Zhou of Shang's demise was supposedly brought about by the evil influence of his concubine Daji, considered to be a fox. She lead an initially good leader into perverse habits. The Japanese thought that the same Daji later reappeared in medieval Japan to seduce and lead astray the emperor, only to be trapped into a rock by the emperor's wise advisors before she could do much harm.

These depictions of the fox abound in Eastern Asia. On the other hand, I am yet to find traces of literally bloodthirsty foxes in Asian sources.

I am currently translating the "Shanhai Jing", which might be the earliest recorded source about multi-tailed foxes, into French. I'll see if I can find any claim about carnivorous foxes in this classic, but it is doubtful, as this book is usually very "synthetic". It doesn't give much details, and it accidentaly expresses how Man might be the fiercest beast in the animal reign. As a matter of fact, every weird creature described in this book ends up as being presented as a source of trophies to be worn at one's belt for various magical or medical uses ! Poor creatures ...

We have a Chinese occasional contributor on this forum (I forgot his pseudonym). It would be interesting to ask him about contemporary fox stories in Mainland China, next time he stops by.

Last edited:
I wish you can realize this project someday. Just make sure you don't wear hawaiian shirts while touring around, as you might be taken for an "American" (it happened to me, which gave me an interesting yet most unpleasant insight into what it feels being discriminated because of your physical appearance [in Kyoto, Hiroshima and Matsumoto - although the Matsumoto case was especially unusual and unexpected]).

Now, regarding the Wartime Stories video, I watched it yesterday evening and I am pretty convinced that it is pure fantasy. It's an issue I have with most videos published by this YouTube channel. They claim to report events that actually took place, as told by largely anonymous veterans (or with names of people you can't actually trace back to any actual living person). Their claims are usually unsubstantiated, the sources absent or impossible to check, and worst of all, they tend to be heavily influenced by American Bible Belt beliefs (for instance : biblical "giants" decimating a whole battalion of marines in Afghanistan - without leaving any trace in the official records) or Holywoodian folklore.

Here we get a typical mix up of Western and Asian tropes. Seductive foxes, shapeshifting in order to lead men astray are a core feature of the "fox spirit" myth in Asia. There is no lack of classical sources developping this theme. However, the idea of a fox actually eating a man alive and licking his blood ... I've never seen that in Asian documents. I am not saying it doesn't exist. I just find it more reminiscent of our Western horror movie obsessions than of Asian culture.

In Asia, you may find stories of "Oni" (demons), rakshasa, or even were-tigers physically eating people. But foxes .... Hmmm. That's a quite a rarity. And I think here it betrays a totally made up story, specifically tailored for a Western audience, as the final gunfight with the creature by the way ...

From what I have learned, "evil" foxes are supposed to suck men's vital energy ("Qi" in Chinese, or "Ki" in Japanese) in order to nourrish their spiritual practices, as absorbing human Yang Qi provides them with a means to become immortal. This absorption is achieved through intensive sexual intercourse. Sexual vampirism is well documented in ancient Chinese taoist texts, either as a way to "patch" (补 "bu") one's deficient energy, or as a condemned "unorthodox" / deviant practice to be avoided at all costs. In Chinese folklore, old foxes strive towards immortality through many different practices, but they are especially feared for this "succubus tactic". By the way, this fear might have been handy to deter naive young single men from abusing lonely beauties in the countryside.

The second major aspect of the "fox" myth was their "trickster" behaviour. This covers scary and uncanny encounters as well as poltergeist behaviour. An often forgotten fact about the Asian fox legends is that, most of the time, they were not seen, but only heard. They would be blamed for moving or throwing objects while staying invisible. There is a novel in Pu Songling's tales (or Ji Yun's - I don't remember) telling how an old mansion was haunted by a "fox" poltergeist who used to bombard incomers with excrements. In the last century, John Blofeld reports a similar belief in Beijing, telling of a courtyard tree who was said to be "haunted" by an invisible "fox" who would play tricks on those who had inadvertently "offended" him.

These two dimensions of the fox sometimes merged to form the figure of the malevolent seductress taking delight in wreaking havoc in the world just for fun (unless there is a hidden environmental agenda behind this ... I'm joking). King Zhou of Shang's demise was supposedly brought about by the evil influence of his concubine Daji, considered to be a fox. She lead an initially good leader into perverse habits. The Japanese thought that the same Daji later reappeared in medieval Japan to seduce and lead astray the emperor, only to be trapped into a rock by the emperor's wise advisors before she could do much harm.

These depictions of the fox abound in Eastern Asia. On the other hand, I am yet to find traces of literally bloodthirsty foxes in Asian sources.

I am currently translating the "Shanhai Jing", which might be the earliest recorded source about multi-tailed foxes, into French. I'll see if I can find any claim about carnivorous foxes in this classic, but it is doubtful, as this book is usually very "synthetic". It doesn't give much details, and it accidentaly expresses how Man might be the fiercest beast in the animal reign. As a matter of fact, every weird creature described in this book ends up as being presented as a source of trophies to be worn at one's belt for various magical or medical uses ! Poor creatures ...

We have a Chinese occasional contributor on this forum (I forgot his pseudonym). It would be interesting to ask him about contemporary fox stories in Mainland China, next time he stops by.
Yes , My original thought on seeing the video was it was more reminiscent of the European,UK, north American Lycanthrope (or aka dog headed man). It does make for a cool Halloween story thought ;) .

Regarding carnivorous Kitsune, I thought I read somewhere that there was a type of Kitsune that was supposed to live by eating the livers of the unfortunate victim. I'm guessing that the Kisune originated in China and was migrated down into Japan (and maybe other Asian country) all probably have their own slight variation from the Source.

It would be interesting to hear from this Chinese contributor Wonder if there are any Japanese members on here. My friend holds a PhD doctorate in Folklore but it's more the European sources.

I don't think I will be wearing an Haian shirt in Japan LOL (they are TOO loud for me) I dress in all black (known around the village as the "Man in Black" like Jonny cash).

Good luck on the translation of the book you are doing.

Yes , My original thought on seeing the video was it was more reminiscent of the European,UK, north American Lycanthrope (or aka dog headed man). It does make for a cool Halloween story thought ;) .

Regarding carnivorous Kitsune, I thought I read somewhere that there was a type of Kitsune that was supposed to live by eating the livers of the unfortunate victim. I'm guessing that the Kisune originated in China and was migrated down into Japan (and maybe other Asian country) all probably have their own slight variation from the Source.

It would be interesting to hear from this Chinese contributor Wonder if there are any Japanese members on here. My friend holds a PhD doctorate in Folklore but it's more the European sources.

I don't think I will be wearing an Haian shirt in Japan LOL (they are TOO loud for me) I dress in all black (known around the village as the "Man in Black" like Jonny cash).

Good luck on the translation of the book you are doing.
This reminds me of a 2003 Japanese movie : Aragami : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aragami_(film)

It's technically not a kitsune story, but the hero is fed back to life with the liver of his dead comrade by a "god of battle" claiming to be the undead Miyamoto Musashi (lol). So there might be some folkloric background for liver-eating creatures. Or perhaps it's simply a deviation of the Chinese theme of canibalism among the warrior class (the "Water Margin" novel, well known in Japan under the "Suikoden" name, is full of such occurrences).

The movie isn't unforgettable, though. I won't develop any further as this would stray away from the thread's theme.

This reminds me of a 2003 Japanese movie : Aragami : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aragami_(film)

It's technically not a kitsune story, but the hero is fed back to life with the liver of his dead comrade by a "god of battle" claiming to be the undead Miyamoto Musashi (lol). So there might be some folkloric background for liver-eating creatures. Or perhaps it's simply a deviation of the Chinese theme of canibalism among the warrior class (the "Water Margin" novel, well known in Japan under the "Suikoden" name, is full of such occurrences).

The movie isn't unforgettable, though. I won't develop any further as this would stray away from the thread's theme.
I'll have to check that movie out, not heard of it before.

Back