• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Horsham

A

Anonymous

Eve Knowles-Martin

I do not know if you or any of your readers can shed any light on this. There seems to be something rather strange going on in Horsham, West Sussex, England.

It appears that in Langhurst area, which is not very far from Warnham brick works, there have been reports of some very strange goings on._Reports from a friend of a "Silver Suited" 7 feet tall man which apparently leapt across the width of the road in one step!

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/strangehorsham.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. A few things I've found on Horsham:

Horsham atomic testing veteran attacks MoD for coverup:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,11816,853643,00.html

A list of properties in Horsham, with a few listed as "Other MoD Properties": (might be useful for you!)

http://www.voa.gov.uk/rating/programming_02/horsham.htm

There have been UFO sightings in Horsham, including:
30/12/79.Horsham........Sussex..20.45...Cigar-Shape.Luminous White.

Horsham road ghost:
http://www.yeoldesussexpages.co.uk/ghosts/ghostly.htm

So yeah, interesting place :)

Not if you happen to have grown up there! This is why I usually claim not to have a home town. :)

Also white squirrels in St. Leonard's forest, as seen in some long ago FT.

And about a million freaky ghost stories I heard at school, but i can't vouch for the validity of any. But there were several fenced off areas of the forest that claimed to belong to... what did the signs say, now? They were very ominous and said they were scientific test sights or sommat, can't remember if they claimed to be police property or MOD property. I never payed no never mind, having grown up there and seeing them every day. I used to climb over the fence to play in some of these sites (never very far in) but never saw anything very unusual. Saw an ABC in Faygate, not far from Horsham, and I think ghostly cat sightings came out of St Leonard's forest too.

EDIT now I come to think of it, I did have a weird timeslip thing in the forest once, not far from the site I mentioned above. I dismissed it before as being one of those occasions when you pull into your driveway with absolutely no memory of how you got there. I was wandering along, thinking of other things and suddenly found myself rather a long way away from where I thought I was heading - and what's more couldn't have got there without navigating some complex log-over-stream pathways which I couldn't imagine how I'd done without even being slightly aware of it.

There used to be a legend of The Dragon of St. Leonards Forest.:eek!!!!:

I grew up in West Sussex, too, and I've always thought there was something "special" about the area (perhaps not Lancing or Hove, but... you know what I mean).

But, just wondering, what does the original poster mean by a "seemed lack of oxygen"? Just a feeling of the air being thin, or an actually measured drop in 02 levels?

check out this site

Hi,

this site has loads of info on underground bases around the country - Horsham, if memory serves, has one, & not just any old one but a base that is supposed to have a bright, clean, 1950's nuclear generator right under the town (so much better than those bulky old diesel generators........!); thats why they're still so secret - cant take'em out, cant close'em down, cant tell anyone they're there,

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/cgi-bin/search/search.pl?q=horsham&Realm=RSG

Duncan Campbell, the investigative journalist, mentions interviews with former workers at the site, in one of his books, who confirm the presence of the nuke generator (if I'm remembering the right site),

High strangeness in Horsham.

HMM.... Very interesting about the "Police experiments" you mention, Only I recently read a book about remote viewing in which the author (whose name I have forgotten) claimed that the police were beaming Microwaves at 450 Mhz from the top of the police station in Brighton in order to manipulate the population into controllable behaviour, (as a brighton resident I can assert that if this did happen it has failed!) perhaps sussex is some sort of proving ground for mind control! alternatively, having visited Horsham I can see why the locals might want to spice up their lives a little with these sort of tales.

The site that Goatboy mentions even has a page about "my" non-secret, non-nucleur (honest guv),( just because its EMP shielded and the only thing that has an Electro Magnetic Pulse is a nucleur blast),bunker at Brede waterworks, one of the stations I look after, I've even got a key to it, my "own" bunker if the sh*t ever hits the fan.It was built just at the end of the cold war, cost.........well lets just say I'm glad I did'nt pay for it directly.(we all did, indirectly)!!.:cross eye

I know what you mean about Lancing, Orbyn - the most mundane place in an otherwise very spooky area of the country, and just my luck I happen to be born and brought up there!

the_discordian said:
I know what you mean about Lancing, Orbyn - the most mundane place in an otherwise very spooky area of the country, and just my luck I happen to be born and brought up there!

My condolences! My grandparents sold our spooky bramble-covered Victorian family home in Hassocks and moved to a bungalow in Lancing when I was 13. Needless to say I wasn't very impressed!

Langhurst Woods

"It appears that in Langhurst area, which is not very far from Warnham brick works, there have been reports of some very strange goings on.

Other recent occurrences I have witnessed include: strange chemical smells, no birds or wildlife present, a seemed lack of oxygen, rapid changes in temperature, and most strange of all, a bright blue light on closer inspection turned out to be a approx. 40 ft vertical blue flame burning in the middle of the woods."

- Langhurst Woods is home to a host of research centres. Nothing sinister as far as I am aware. The strange smells may be eminating either from a locl chemical lab or else the infill (rubbish tip) at the nearby Biffa site. blue flame likely to be methane being burned off -

"This area I understand historically was a MOD munitions dump and remains very secure and guarded with no apparent signs as to the areas current use. Visible from the nearby railway line is an area of strange buildings and huge pipes that come up from the ground. "

- Munitions dump unknown, but there were plenty such in the South of England during the Second World War. I remember my peers bringing hand grenades and shells into school as late as the early 80's - found burried in the woods around nearby West Chiltington. Weapons stockpiles to be used by civil defence/resistance in the event of an invasion still lay undisturbed.

Pipes from the ground and blue flames are no mistery. Decomposing household waste produces methane gas which is collected by buried pipework and burned off in the open air. This prevents explosions. -

"A recent check on the internet indicates that there is a police "research" going on in this area which just adds to the secrecy."

- No mistery here. Government research sites rrarely advertise their existance. Laghurst House reseaches into survellience equipment for the Home Office I believ. I think it was here that the infamouse Gatso speed camera was developed. -

"One further mystery, is that when you visit this area there is an overwhelming sense that you are being watched, however there are no visible CCTV cameras."

- Paranoia or perhaps you are being watched! -

"One other odd thing is that there is a very large overhead pipe which is crosses above the road linking a heavily wooded area with the strange building location."

Not a pipe - a conveyor belt for the brixkworks or somesuch.

Hope this helps.

That other Invisible Spaceman

I recall that other very famous Invisible Spaceman case (so famous, I can't remember it's name!)- the photo taken of a little girl, that showed a spacesuited man in the background...that was near an MoD base, and the thing was lated CCTVd in a nearby power plant...but nothing was to be seen...

The military is playing with this stuff.

And the Japanese made that invisibiility coat...

the_discordian said:

Does that mean you're familiar with the old lady who used to live in that cottage up lancing clump? She used to fire rocksalt from her rifle at trespassers on her land or something. Back in my youth when doing LRPG (live roleplay) *shudder* the police were called because (get this!) we were attacking her fence with our swords! 'I swear, I was mearly tapping the fence out of boredom officer!'

Rock Salt, eh? Mmnn! I'm collecting good ideas for my retirement, thanks!

Anyway. I've never heard of this area before. Curiouser and curiouser. Is it like West Virginia? Or Long Island and Misery Mountain and the Montauk project, etc.???

The wierdest thing is the account of that walk containing amnesia / geographical displacement...very intriguing, indeed. More info please! Doesn't really sound like nuclear power-station induced amnesia, and the security services would have to be pretty zealous to knock witness over the head and dump said witness out of the way for defence purposes, unless the witness was 1/ Lying or 2/ Mistaken.?????

And I looked up that photo of the kid by the Nuclear Power Station on a web-site and the hairs on the back of my neck were literally standing on end when I clicked for the image as it's quite famous isn't it? Well, for heaven't sake! I snorted and nearly choked with laughter. It's perfectly ridiculous. That spaceman should sue for misrepresentation. I clicked for an analysis and even the pro analysis had to concede that one of the arms was bent back in an unnatural pose. My husband walked in as I was viewing it and said 'That's cruel...why has someone stuck a toy in that child's head?' and that was it for me!! Hysterics whenever I think of it now!!!!!

...honestly! I'm crying now. It's started me off all over again!!!!:rofl:

Re: That other Invisible Spaceman

Iankidd said:
I recall that other very famous Invisible Spaceman case (so famous, I can't remember it's name!)- the photo taken of a little girl, that showed a spacesuited man in the background...that was near an MoD base, and the thing was lated CCTVd in a nearby power plant...but nothing was to be seen...

The military is playing with this stuff.

And the Japanese made that invisibiility coat...

And Hasbro make Action Man on a stick!
:cool:

The other silver suited chap is the well known 'Cumberland Spaceman'
http://www.btinternet.com/~loonboy/para_spaceman.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~loonboy/para_blue_streak.html
http://www.skiesare.demon.co.uk/cumb.html
http://www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/ufo02jt.htm

[see also the infamous monkey-girl in a tracksuit photo for comparison:
http://tinyurl.com/gw5c ]

Hope this helps.

Reading the article on the Cumberland spaceman and how close it is to RAF Spadeadam.
Ive been to this station on a number of occassion around 1999.
The Raf station was going to be a launch site for the missle. It still has all the concrete bunkers there now dis used and full of water. THere is also still a section from the misssile on show in the base.
The station is basicaly a test range for raf pilots to exercise there skill against different types of radar which the RAF station has "borrowed" from around the world. This includes quite a few bits nabbed from the Falklands conflict.
I didnt see a of these space suits though. !

The photo of the girl with the "spaceman" on her head looks so fake! Well, the girl looks real, but the "spaceman" looks fake. I mean, seriously. People actually thought it was real?!
And why do they call the other picture monkey girl in a track suit? She looks human to me.

Eve, if it's so closely guarded, how did you get a closer look to determine it was a 40 foot flame? :sceptic:

And why do they call the other picture monkey girl in a track suit? She looks human to me

Thank god for that, I thought I was the only one that could not see anything weird in that picture

Damn.....I don't know whether to hide under the bed or catch a plane to Horsham. :shock:

I go to Horsham every day (work there), can't say I have spotted anything strange.

Invisible spaceman

IanKidd wrote:

I recall that other very famous Invisible Spaceman case....the photo taken of the little girl, that showed a spacesuited man in the background...

This famous photo was featured in a recent edition of FT in an article that dealt with famous photos.

The strong consensus now is that the mysterious figure is in fact the back view of a woman standing on a slight rise in the background. This accounts for the strange angle of the figure's elbow (we're actually seeing the back of it) the broadness of the chest (actually her back) and the silver faceplate (actually her bobbed hair - you can even see a parting if you look).

The photographer claims there was no one standing in that position when he photographed his subject. Well, if you're concentrating on the subject in front of you it's very easy to miss what's going on around you when your attention is centred on one point. He was focusing on the girls face - she would have filled his view finder, not the background.

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

STRANGE HORSHAM

Eve Knowles-Martin

I do not know if you or any of your readers can shed any light on this. There seems to be something rather strange going on in Horsham, West Sussex, England.

It appears that in Langhurst area, which is not very far from Warnham brick works, there have been reports of some very strange goings on. Reports from a friend of a "Silver Suited" 7 feet tall man which apparently leapt across the width of the road in one step!

Other recent occurrences I have witnessed include: strange chemical smells, no birds or wildlife present, a seemed lack of oxygen, rapid changes in temperature, and most strange of all, a bright blue light on closer inspection turned out to be a approx. 40 ft vertical blue flame burning in the middle of the woods.

This area I understand historically was a MOD munitions dump and remains very secure and guarded with no apparent signs as to the areas current use. Visible from the nearby railway line is an area of strange buildings and huge pipes that come up from the ground.

A recent check on the internet indicates that there is a police "research" going on in this area which just adds to the secrecy.

One further mystery, is that when you visit this area there is an overwhelming sense that you are being watched, however there are no visible CCTV cameras. One other odd thing is that there is a very large overhead pipe which is crosses above the road linking a heavily wooded area with the strange building location.

All very odd for a quiet part of West Sussex.

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/2003022...eantimes.com:80/happened/strangehorsham.shtml

My grandmother lives in Horsham, and I had an experience a while back which I'd always chalked up to the ghost of her (then-recently) deceased husband. I was quite young, about 8, and I was already a budding Fortean. Very into ghosts, cryptozoology and Scooby Doo. Like, 5-year-old me used to have conversations with my parents about the origins of the Jersey Devil.
The experience happened while I was out playing in the back garden of this little house on Heron Way, and I was quite spooked already because I was aware that my grandpa who lived in the house had died quite recently, and so I was almost expecting something to happen. Whatever it was, it was very quick. I turned around (don't know why - perhaps due to a breeze or a sudden silence, I must have had a reason...) and I saw a weird, fleshy, almost-skeletal figure. It had grinding teeth and bulging white eyes in a frozen facial expression, and flesh looking like a clay model painted to look like a white man. That is, a weird peach colour. Its flesh was uneven in a way, I could see it had raised veins on its neck and things. It had a light green shirt on. This creature seemingly moved past me very quickly, because I don't quite remember how it left the scene. I turned around and it was there for a moment, and then it was gone. I ran back inside, obviously - and the experience has stuck with me ever since. Every time I visit that house, I always remember that thing's face and general grotesque appearance.
To be honest, I am not convinced that I saw the ghost of my grandpa. It was far too Scooby Doo. Far too stereotypically 'evil' and 'scary', and I think that if my grandpa really was going to come back, it wouldn't be me that he would appear to - he didn't really like me much, and we didn't have much of a relationship. I can't decide if I should just file this one away as something I imagined, because the memory almost seems to be fading as I write this, or if I should consider if I may have momentarily created a thought-form out of my expectation to see a ghost.
I'm normally a skeptic, but there are some experiences which I've personally had, and read about, and been told about by my friends, which have led me to the conclusion that a considerable portion of Forteana might hold more weight than I had previously thought. UFOs, for one, and I'm currently just coming to terms with the idea of ghosts and life after death.
That's a sentence I never thought I would say...

My grandmother lives in Horsham, and I had an experience a while back which I'd always chalked up to the ghost of her (then-recently) deceased husband. I was quite young, about 8, and I was already a budding Fortean. Very into ghosts, cryptozoology and Scooby Doo. Like, 5-year-old me used to have conversations with my parents about the origins of the Jersey Devil.
The experience happened while I was out playing in the back garden of this little house on Heron Way, and I was quite spooked already because I was aware that my grandpa who lived in the house had died quite recently, and so I was almost expecting something to happen. Whatever it was, it was very quick. I turned around (don't know why - perhaps due to a breeze or a sudden silence, I must have had a reason...) and I saw a weird, fleshy, almost-skeletal figure. It had grinding teeth and bulging white eyes in a frozen facial expression, and flesh looking like a clay model painted to look like a white man. That is, a weird peach colour. Its flesh was uneven in a way, I could see it had raised veins on its neck and things. It had a light green shirt on. This creature seemingly moved past me very quickly, because I don't quite remember how it left the scene. I turned around and it was there for a moment, and then it was gone. I ran back inside, obviously - and the experience has stuck with me ever since. Every time I visit that house, I always remember that thing's face and general grotesque appearance.
To be honest, I am not convinced that I saw the ghost of my grandpa. It was far too Scooby Doo. Far too stereotypically 'evil' and 'scary', and I think that if my grandpa really was going to come back, it wouldn't be me that he would appear to - he didn't really like me much, and we didn't have much of a relationship. I can't decide if I should just file this one away as something I imagined, because the memory almost seems to be fading as I write this, or if I should consider if I may have momentarily created a thought-form out of my expectation to see a ghost.
I'm normally a skeptic, but there are some experiences which I've personally had, and read about, and been told about by my friends, which have led me to the conclusion that a considerable portion of Forteana might hold more weight than I had previously thought. UFOs, for one, and I'm currently just coming to terms with the idea of ghosts and life after death.
That's a sentence I never thought I would say...

Great, if very disconcerting, story, Quirky! Thanks for sharing!

I firmly believe that it''s healthy to go on a journey and to change one's thinking about Forteana, or other stuff in life. Curiosity about what we experience shows a lively mind.

Great, if very disconcerting, story, Quirky! Thanks for sharing!

I firmly believe that it''s healthy to go on a journey and to change one's thinking about Forteana, or other stuff in life. Curiosity about what we experience shows a lively mind.
Thanks, yeah. I had an experience with a glowing red UFO as well, when I was around that same age. My dad saw the UFO as well, and so it was pretty obviously objectively real. I'm not sure if the skeletal figure in my grandmother's garden was real, but I certainly think I saw something out of the ordinary.

Back