• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Light/Object on a Mountain in the Himalayas (photo)

Pinlight_Duke

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi everyone! I used to be a member here years and years ago under a different name, and now I'm back to share more weird tales. For some reason strangeness seems to find me wherever I go. I apologize for the length of this particular story.

In March 2010 I made a trip with some friends to Nepal. We parted ways in Pokhara, which is several hours’ drive from Kathmandu and a popular tourist area. Most people visit Pokhara as a departure point for trekking, climbing, and extreme mountain sports, as it provides access to the Annapurna range of the Himalayas.

From Pokhara proper one can travel up into the foothills to a place called Sarangkot, or “Sunrise Point”. Tourists usually spend the night or arrive before dawn, to watch the sun rise perpendicular to the Annapurnas, from a well-situated vantage point which offers spectacular unobstructed views across the valley and directly onto the mountain range. You have to climb for several hours to reach this place, or take a taxi up as I did.
I arrived about an hour before dawn and found my way to a tea house with a viewing point in the rear. As it was cold, there were fewer tourists than I expect is usual, and the tea house had no other customers. I sat in the small yard in the back, which was open to the mountains, set up my camera, and waited for dawn while sipping chai and watching some chickens hunt around the property.

The sunrise is absolutely breathtaking. It rises toward one end of the valley, and as the sun rises higher, it progressively lights each of the peaks of the Annapurnas one by one, with a fiery orange glow, somewhat like lighting a row of candles one after another. As the Annapurnas are so high (6k-8k) they are perpetually snow-covered and so reflect the golden sunlight beautifully.

I was shooting with a 70-300mm lens at full zoom, directly across the valley (a distance of perhaps 20 km across to the mountains?) and capturing each of the peaks as it was lit by the sun. While I was shooting Annapurna III, I noticed something moving in the frame. Near the summit, I watched what appeared to be a reflective object dart back and forth, flashing in the sun. The object must have been at least 10 m across or a bit larger for it to have been visible to me through my lens. However, it was too small to be seen with the naked eye.

My first thought was that someone was flashing a mirror, but I quickly discarded that notion as it would have been impossible for any living thing to be atop Annapurna III. The object was about 100-200 m from the summit (I might be off by a bit, hard to estimate), and that would put it at an elevation of about 7400 m (the summit is at 7555 m). Nothing can survive for long at that altitude, not even animals, so those peaks are desolate. Even though there are climbers who make that ascent they don’t do it very often, and even so would not be doing it before or at dawn.

The motion of the object strongly suggested to me a kite attached to the side of the mountain by a tether and moving back and forth or in a circular motion. Its movements were short and quick, and it darted back and forth in a small area, flashing as if its surface were changing angles relative to the sun. So that made it look to me very much like a kite on a windy day. I couldn’t see any structures on the side of the mountain, which would be pretty much impossible anyway, so it doesn’t seem to me that it would have been a weather balloon or similar device. It was, however, highly reflective, either white or silver, much more brilliant than the surrounding snow. Perhaps it was giving off light, but it seemed more reflective as the light was the same golden color as the sunlight. I’m sure it must have been blowing in the wind – the wind was so strong snow could be seen coming off the peaks at times.

I did see some small aircraft in the valley a short time later, but they were at a much lower altitude, close by, and were quite recognizable as small planes, difficult to mistake for anything else. They apparently take tourists out over the valley. They didn’t look anything like the object on the mountain. It would be highly unlikely that what I saw was any kind of aircraft given its motion, size, and position.

As the object was moving relative to the mountain, that would indicate it wasn’t an artifact of my camera or lens. I didn’t see anything like it on any of the other peaks.

I watched the object for a long time, until the sun fully rose and I finally left the tea house to make my descent back to Pokhara. I also captured photos of it, though they aren’t much help in identifying the object. Even at full resolution the object is too small to be seen with any detail. However if you’d like to see the object, I have included a photo with the object circled in red.

To this day I can’t find anything online or in any literature to help me solve this mystery. No one I’ve talked to has ever experienced or heard of anything similar, and I haven’t read any similar stories about Annapurna or any other mountain range, nor does anything I read shed any light on what the object might have been. I would really appreciate any thoughts or ideas as this will probably haunt me until I die. In some ways I’d be happy to let it remain a mystery, but it does nag at me in my idle moments.

If you got this far, hats off to you and thank you for reading.

strangeobjectcircled_zps1b0661f8.jpg

Very interesting, you do mention the possibility of it being a weather balloon, is it possible that's what it is and that it's tether line became snagged on a rock?

Have you already cropped this image? I ask because I can't work out if it is noisy or grainy!

Interested story though. I'm guessing a bird is out of the question?

Ronson8 said:
Very interesting, you do mention the possibility of it being a weather balloon, is it possible that's what it is and that it's tether line became snagged on a rock?

Yes, it's quite possible that's what happened! That in fact seems like one of the only (or the only?) likely explanations. I initially thought of a weather balloon because of the reflective material and the size.

linesmachine said:
Have you already cropped this image? I ask because I can't work out if it is noisy or grainy!

Interested story though. I'm guessing a bird is out of the question?

Yes, unfortunately I can't find the original file (seems that the entire memory card from that trip has gone missing - spooooooooooky, haha, but also very disappointing as there are loads of amazing photos in there), and all I have is the edited photo. It's noisy because of low light, but it wasn't cropped very much if at all. As I was shooting without a tripod I couldn't do a longer exposure. I likely lightened the image quite a bit in Photoshop and probably tinkered somewhat with the color balance. I can't remember exactly because it was edited three years ago shortly after it was taken. The red circle was added just yesterday when I made the image for this post.

Wouldn't have been a bird visible at that distance even with a 300 mm zoom. Like I said, the object must have been at least several metres across. Smaller features simply would not be visible. I don't think a bird have movements like that, either. However I certainly did entertain the possibility for a while before dismissing it.

ChrisBoardman said:
it's probably a bird much closer to the camera

With all due respect, I might be many things, but I'm not an idiot! (At least, I'd like to believe I'm not...) :D

It 'twerent a bird.

The mismatch between the care over detail in the original post and the current state of the evidence - a modified file ripped out of its context - is striking.

The spectacular and remote location seems to be most of the story. My own guess would be that a body of melt-water might have gathered in the shadowed valley? :?:

JamesWhitehead said:
The mismatch between the care over detail in the original post and the current state of the evidence - a modified file ripped out of its context - is striking.

The spectacular and remote location seems to be most of the story. My own guess would be that a body of melt-water might have gathered in the shadowed valley? :?:

Well, there is not much I can do about the evidence, I'm afraid. That's all I have. Not much better than nothing, I realize. I tried to give as much detail as I could in my telling of the story, though.

Not sure there would have been melt-water at that altitude, but anything's possible I suppose - I'm not an expert on these things. My impression though is that it would be well below freezing and so mostly ice and snow. Water doesn't account for the back-and-forth movement, either. So far the best explanation seems to be a weather balloon which would satisfy all the observations I made. I'm satisfied with that if nothing more likely appears.

I'm sorry if my post is a little boring. It was interesting to me when it happened, but I do realize upon retelling that it's not a very amazing tale.

Your post certainly was not boring, I think James was pointing out the care you took over it.

I enjoyed the story and the photo and I think we all share your 'what the he'll is it' frustration!

Scribbles said:
I enjoyed the story and the photo and I think we all share your 'what the he'll is it' frustration!

Thanks! In the end I'm glad it will remain a mystery even if some of the explanations do fit. Sometimes it's disappointing when fantastic events and experiences turn out to have mundane explanations. On the one hand it's nice to have an answer, but on the other hand it's sad that the magic has disappeared.

I've seen a weather balloon launch once and they are *not* reflective. They're transparent. I clearly remember thinking how much it resembled a soap bubble disappearing in the distance.

+ Added:

It should be possible to estimate the angular size of the object and the we could estimate its size.

Unless they've stopped making them, some weather balloons are white... lol the last time I saw one in the flesh was at Portmerricon many years ago.

ie like the ones that famously menaced Patrick McGoohan/Number Six.

Yes, I looked up photos online of weather balloons and most of the photos showed white balloons. I'm not sure if the material tends to reflect light or not as I've never seen one up close. Of course this object I saw was quite reflective - I would have said mirror-like, or even giving off its own light. But it's conceivable that a bright white surface could give that effect, so I wouldn't rule it out. The size of a weather balloon seems about right but I could be off.

I looked up online about how to calculate size of objects from a photo but I found it confusing. If anyone knows how to do this that would be great.

I would estimate I was 20-25 km from the mountain in question when I took the photo and used a 70-300 mm lens at maximum zoom. The photo may have been slightly cropped (I can't remember) but I assure it wouldn't be by much, it's not a small photo cropped out of a much larger one or anything like that. Honestly I don't think it's been cropped as I wouldn't have had much reason to do so.

The prominence of Annapurna III peak is 703 m, which you can see to the left of the photo, so that might help estimate scale. I estimated the object would have been about 100 - 200 m from the top. I've no reason to believe the object was closer to me than the mountains were, as someone suggested - at that magnification anything closer such as birds or dust on the lens, would have been very out of focus and certainly not the crisp shape that I saw with such defined movement. So it definitely appeared that it was either on the mountain or very close to it, within several meters.

I'm no expert on weather balloons but I have seen one (a balloon with electronic payload) and it was mirror finished, a kind of Mylar I think.

From what I can see P.D., the object, if it is tethered, has a very long tether, or it has it's own light source. My reasoning being that it looks like the sun is at a 3 o'clock position and his risen in line with the crest ridge, so the area on the mountain side where it is, is in shadow.

What ever it is P.D., nice catch!

Could it be one of those survival blankets that has got caught? They are very reflective.

Thank you for the report. I think everybody knows photos can be modified and/ or tinkered with, so a digital photograph will never be "proof", just as witness accounts, even multiple aren´t and can´t be. To me, it´s a photo and a story, fascinating stuff, thank you for sharing!

Back