• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Sleep/Waking Voice

paganfrog

Junior Acolyte
this afternoon i had a really weird thing happen to me. i had suffered a bad night with nearly no sleep because my toddler was restless and wouldnt settle down and was crying alot. so after this morning of dressing him and giving him his breakfast, i went back to bed and slept untill about 1pm.
for a while i was semi awake and could hear the sounds of my husband talking to skype buddies with the tv on as well (in the living room other end of house). hubby had put our son in bed for his midday nap and in my waking slowly i could here him breathing via the baby moniter.
the thing that puzzles me was that i became aware of a very faint but close voice near my head counting steadily from 1 to 10 several times. when i became aware of this voice after about the 4th or 5th time i found myself awake fully and sat myself up to check the time.
it was a really weird and puzzling experience for me.

Radio interference on the baby monitor, possibly? It does sound disconcerting, even if there's a prosaic explanation.

I understand that its not uncommon for people to hear noises whilst drifting off, or being tired and sleepy, I know I use to hear loud bangs whilst dropping off.
Not saying thats what it was, just a thought, the number counting thing is strange though.

:)

i doubt the baby moniter was to blame, that is situated at the other side of the bedroom to where i sleep, my head points away from the moniter. the "voice" was to be heard very close to my head which is next to the bedroom wall.

in response to the comment about loud bangs, this does happen to me too. i just never thought about it before. as i fall asleep or in my waking time where im just dozing on the edge of unconciousness, isometime have these loud bangs. its not a bang like an exposion, the nearest i can discribe them is like the aftermath of a bang, where its a "whump" or "woomf" sound, to be heard very distinctly very close in my ears.
its not to be comfused with the sinus ear popping, this isnt anything like when my ears pop.

I often hear an electric crack and sizzle accompanied by a bright flash like a flashbulb in front of me when drifting off to sleep.
very unnerving.

Doesn't Streiber mention hearing "whoomph" kind of sounds in Communion?

I often hear an electric crack and sizzle accompanied by a bright flash like a flashbulb in front of me when drifting off to sleep.
very unnerving.
OMG!! I often have a bright flash in front of my eyes as I drift off. I thought I had some kind of mental illness or head trauma!! Is it quite normal then?

I've occasionally had "dream sounds" continue even after awakening, especially when I've been awakened suddenly by some unexpected external stimulus before the dream-cycle had naturally ended.

What about everyday sounds getting into dreams? Like when you dream a telephone is ringing on and on and wake up, and the 'phone is actually ringing. lol I've done that with my alarm too. :lol:
I experriance hypnogogic sounds quite often, usually loud bangs.

My hypnogogic (I forget if that's on falling asleep or on waking, but I mean on falling asleep) experiences vary over time, from none at all, to musical chords, to bangs (like someone dropping a book, or a knock, usually) to speech (usually nonsensical sentences by a voice I don't recognize; occasionally the sound of a familiar voice saying my name, which is quite eerie!), to visual images (most often a mental image of people leaving through a door and closing it behind them, or faces turning to look me in the eye) to sensations such as falling or someone/thing climbing into my bed. Some of these hypnogogia wake me, others don't. I think sometimes they vary according to how tired I am, what state of mind I'm in (I'm bipolar, which is evident in my dreams sometimes, and equally, I think, in the hypnogogia.)

The thing is, with the sounds, they're very close to sounding like real audio, but they're decidedly located in my head - if that makes sense. The best way I can explain it is you know how you can "locate" a sound you hear as being in a certain direction and distance, well it's exactly like that except the perceived location of the source of the sound is between my ears. That's one of the ways I know it's not a real sound and can ignore it and keep drifting to sleep!

Anyway, the OP sounds like hypnogogia to me.

akaWiintermoon said:
What about everyday sounds getting into dreams?

When I take a nap in the early evening with the television set on I'll occasionally find my dreams partially following the dialogue of whatever drama is being presented.

Which gives me at least some indication that those old "learn while you sleep" techniques so highly advertized during my high school years may have actually worked.

This morning I was awoken by the sound of a male voice shouting "Dust!" in my ear. Dunno what that's all about. Still, almost certainly hypnagogic.

darrenxyz said:
This morning I was awoken by the sound of a male voice shouting "Dust!" in my ear. Dunno what that's all about. Still, almost certainly hypnagogic.

Maybe your subconscious was reminding you of some cleaning chores you needed to do? Time to get the feather duster out... ;)

I slept very late this past Saturday, quite pleasantly so, until I was eventually roused awake by my Father's voice in my ear:

Get up, you lazy bum!

Dad's been dead more than 12 years.

i have on occasion woke up to find a monologue going on in my head, distinct from my own internal voice, very odd but not overly disconcerting.

lastnight (about 2am) id just gotten into an almost sound sleep when i woke myself up by saying huh (as in a surprised grunt sort of huh) i opened my eyes instantly and lifted my head and for a little while i felt like i was having that sleep paralisis (sp?)
i felt like i couldnt move but i could but i felt like the air around me had thickened up and had a wooly feeling to it.
it disturbed me so much i woke my husband (with some pretense like to turn the tv off (it was on)
the whole feeling just made me feel so weird like i was awake and that i also wasnt.
i was awake of course because imade a point of doing somethings that proved it was reality.

Back