• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Stuff Dripping From Ceilings

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I sent a piece to 'IHTM' about this. Basically, a substance drips from ceilings onto furniture, animals, floors and people. It can be variously seen, heard and felt, but disappears after impact. I have read about in in the letters section of FT but nobody seems to have researched it or even taken much interest. My family experience it and so do my kids' friends when they visit. I enjoy this little phenomenon and would love to hear if others have come across it.

What sort of substance is it, Escargot, I mean, is it glutinous, water-like, coloured, etc? Does it have a smell?

Carole

The substance has different colours in different places. In our old house my daughter saw it constantly, falling in the same place, in various shades of blue.
When we moved house I saw a similar thing but it looked like blobs of grey, gloopy stuff, like thin jelly. Well-mixed wallpaper paste, almost! It has fallen on people (including my sceptical ex-husband) who say it feels icy cold. It looks damp but leaves no wet spot behind and does actually disappear before one's eyes on landing.
It seems to follow our eldest around. She has seen it all over the place and it appears more at my house when she's home.
I don't know about a smell, I've never noticed one. I have felt & sniffed the places where the 'drip' emerged and landed but no joy! Mad.

Fascinating stuff. You make it sound as if this is happening
all the time. If it is, then it needs documenting.

Have you caught it happening on video? It
really needs a good quality job to see the stuff materialize and
disappear in front of reliable witnesses. Someone with a science
background rather than a convinced Fortean might add weight, if
they could be persuaded to approach the thing with an open mind.

The trouble is that somehow the conditions will never be strict
enough to convince everyone. :rolleyes:

Well, videotaping would certainly be a good start - ghosts are notoriously hard to catch on camera at all, but if this is a frequent "inanimate" phenomena it might be more amenable. This could be a Fortean breakthrough if you could record it!

Of course, who's to say it's really an inanimate liquid...

Betcha nothing appears on the tape except the surprised expressions on people's faces... :p

Hi folks, thank you for your interest.
This drip thing seems to happen most when my eldest daughter's around. My son is home from the Army in a week or so with a camcorder so we'll have a go at vidding it.
As for scientific minds accepting phenomena, well, my extremely sceptical husband had a fright when it fell on him, as described here and elsewhere. I wish I'd filmed that!
I did read in FT letters a couple of years back about other people seeing this. I wish they would get in touch.

The 'Drip' (as it's imaginatively called) is odd as it tends to happen in the absence of any other paranormal phenomenon. I've heard and read of dozens of accounts over the years, but I myself have never experienced it. The nearest I got to it was in my parents house, where the wall of my bedroom beside my bed would repeatedly be found to be covered in small areas of fine spray which appeared to be blood. I presumed that this was caused by me sneezing violently during the night (which I don't remember) but there were never any spots on the sheets or duvet.

Liquid poltergeists, on the other hand, are a whole lot nastier, although they appear to be a similar phenomenon to the Drip. Oil, patrol, parafin, water (and on one occasion, urine) will burst through the walls or ceiling, sometimes flooding the room, but when the wall / ceiling is examined it's found to be completely dry.

Mr. Bingo said:
The nearest I got to it was in my parents house, where the wall of my bedroom beside my bed would repeatedly be found to be covered in small areas of fine spray which appeared to be blood. I presumed that this was caused by me sneezing violently during the night (which I don't remember) but there were never any spots on the sheets or duvet.
That was almost certainly some sort of fungal growth.
Maybe some 'Drips' are also collections of fungal spores? A few million of them clinging together might look like drops of water; falling down and hitting something (like somebody's head) would make the 'drops' break up into clouds of near-invisible spores. Hence the disappearing trick.
As to why they only seem to come out when certain people are around, maybe that has something to do with changes in room tempreture, humidity etc. caused by these particular people.

Annasdottir said:
That was almost certainly some sort of fungal growth...

Possibly, but the speed at which the dots appeared tends to suggest otherwise. I'd clean the wall and there'd be nothing for months. Then, suddenly, there'd be a 20 X 20 inch area covered in about 400 - 500 rusty red dots, some up to 4mm across. In other words, if it was a fungus, it was capable of growing from nothing into a very obvious splodge in a matter of hours. And always overnight.

Annasdottir said:
As to why they only seem to come out when certain people are around, maybe that has something to do with changes in room tempreture, humidity etc. caused by these particular people.

...Or those people are seeded with fungal spores, like those chemists I recall hearing of at school who's beards were filled with the 'seeds' of numerous crystals; their presence all but a guarantee of a successful crystal growth.

Mr Bingo: Fungi can indeed grow at an incredible rate when the situations are right.

Niles

"Ghostbusters"...

Sounds eerily like the Ecto-Plasm....made famous in that classic fort hit, "Ghostbusters"...

Ecto-Plasm does exist...however, it isn't pink or red...it deppends on the mood of the Spectre that left it behind...

Niles Calder said:
...Or those people are seeded with fungal spores, like those chemists I recall hearing of at school who's beards were filled with the 'seeds' of numerous crystals; their presence all but a guarantee of a successful crystal growth.

Mmm, as I recall this was one of the arguments put forward to discredit the morphogenic field theory. In numerous experiments, it has been proved that the formation of crystals from a subtance becomes more rapid if that substance has been crystalised before, even if the first crystalisation took place in a different lab across the other side of the world. The chemists' beard theory ranks alongside the Michigan 'swamp gas' and Lubbock Lights 'flying geese' theories as the most ludicrous proposal of all time. Not that I'm suggesting anyone here believes it...

Eeeek, my ex-husband is a chemist! And he has a beard!!!!:eek!!!!:

Mr. Bingo said:
Possibly, but the speed at which the dots appeared tends to suggest otherwise. I'd clean the wall and there'd be nothing for months. Then, suddenly, there'd be a 20 X 20 inch area covered in about 400 - 500 rusty red dots, some up to 4mm across. In other words, if it was a fungus, it was capable of growing from nothing into a very obvious splodge in a matter of hours. And always overnight.
I've seen 'black spot'-type fungus behave exactly like that.

Okay, we'll meet in the middle. It was fungus...

... but from Mars.

I've had this happen to me too.

But always outdoors.

I'll be walking along, and I'll feel cold raindrops, or water hit me, and when I check, I can't find anything. It'll be perfectly clear out too.

NB, when it really IS sprinkling, no matter how slowly, if a raindrop hits me, I can almost always find, because I can still feel it on my skin.

In the above phenomena, when the 'disappearing' raindrops hit, I only feel the impact, they never stick around.

Crusoe

Escargot, there was a repeat-programme on Discovery last night about ghost. One of the stories showed a reddish, slightly glutinous looking liquid oozing out of the corner of a cupboard, but that phenomenon was accompanied by poltergeist activity.

A thought has just occured...

What if this "glutinous" substance is a type of, as disgusting as this may sound, entrail or excreacion...only a thought, but as good as any...

Thank you all for your interest! I'm still baffled though. The substance is just like icy-cold wallpaper paste. It'd be awful to find it at body heat wouldn't it!
I love the ghost progs on Discovery and thought I'd seen'em all, but don't recall red ectoplasm. I will look out for that edition as they're repeated fairly frequently.
The disappearing rain sounds like the same thing as my, er, drip thing, wonder if they're connected?
And as for bearded chemists, well, enough was enough!:)

This was the first subject I posted on, and it was replied to by Carole!

My builder was recently 'dripped' here and soon afterwards, when he was telling me how scared he'd be to see a ghost, the door he'd been screwing hinges to lifted away from a wall and fell on him. :D

Anyone else been 'dripped'?

This thread has actually freaked me out a bit.

As a child I was frequently dripped on passing into the kitchen of my parents house, from the hall.

Only ever from the frame, and after the drip I could never find a wet patch on my skin or clothing, or anywhere around the door frame.

Thiswall was in an interior wall, nowhere near any water pipes.

A little more on it here including the 'IHTM' 'Phantom Drip' thread.
:cool:

This used to happen to me lots when I was a teenager and living with my parents.

It was a clear drip, no colour, sometimes I could see it forming and then dripping and other times just falling, but there was nothing there on the floor afterwards and the frame was never wet at origin of the drip.

I also saw it once or twice in my new house (but not recently) falling from the doorframe on the door leading to the kitchen.

It never dripped on me though.

I just assumed it was something to do with my eyes.;)

Hex Kitten said:
This used to happen to me lots when I was a teenager and living with my parents.

It was a clear drip, no colour, sometimes I could see it forming and then dripping and other times just falling, but there was nothing there on the floor afterwards and the frame was never wet at origin of the drip.

I also saw it once or twice in my new house (but not recently) falling from the doorframe on the door leading to the kitchen.

It never dripped on me though.

I just assumed it was something to do with my eyes.;)

Is this more common than we thought, then?

Haven't you heard?

According to Elle Decoration Magazine

Fungi is the new white.

If you decorate your Victorian Period home with Ectoplasm make sure you get the authentic stuff from reliable sources and not the cheesecloth stuff that the cheapos use.

I used to go out with a mushroom with a 10" penis.
He was a fungi to be with.

AND my umbrella, please.

escargot said:

AND my umbrella, please.

Oh dear...:hmph:

escargot said:

"Ba-dump-bump" :blah:

Last edited by a moderator:
Niles Calder said:
Mr Bingo: Fungi can indeed grow at an incredible rate when the situations are right.

Yep, try living underground near a river. I literally have some that starts coming back within hours of being cleaned. Doesn't cause any adverse reactions or anything so....

Just pass me those rubber gloves :rolleyes:,
Ren

Back