• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stress as a Trigger for Poltergeist Type Incidents

hallybods

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
During October/November of last year I found myself under a great deal of stress. During this time things got decidedly strange. I witnessed flickering white lights in the hall and an item in the kitchen that jumped. My daughter saw our front door swing open by itself. Early one morning I heard a noise like someone rattling the letterbox and as I turned saw a t-shirt on a hanger swing as if someone had walked past. I have no doubt that in my stressed-out state I cause this events to happen.

Out of interest has anyone else ever suffered weird stuff due to stress?

Isn't that similar to adolescents "attracting" poltergeists?

Could possibly be. I think at the time I was aware that I was causing it to happen. And no my name's not Carrie ;)

Still it's kinda scarey thou' ain't it?!! I used to have an all encompassing terror of being able to blow things up just by thinking about it in my younger days ... I often wonder if I really could've?

Some people hypothesise that poltergeists are some form of energy generated by (particularly) adolescents - adolescence is supposed to be a time of emotional upheaval.

Maybe because you were in a state of 'upheaval', Hallybods, you generated some sort of energy . . .

Just an idle thought with no evidence at all to support it.

Hope you're feeling less stressed now, BTW.

Carole

Stress gives me visual disturbances, my vision 'buckles' and i also get a pulse in my head that makes time skip for a few seconds...when i first experienced this a couple of years ago (coincided with my marriage crumbling strangely enough) I rushed to the doctors convinced of the worst but was told it was stress and since then I live with it...........

Like the story about Freud and Jung arguing over their respective theories. The argument became quite heated. Jung was labouring the point about such things as synchronicity and mental states affecting external reality and Freud was saying that such things could not be.

Whilst this was going on, there was a loud, `crack!' This, they traced to a wooden panel, at the back of a cupboard in the room, which had suddenly split during their argument.

They decided to give the heated discussion a rest. :)

Stressfully moving things

I have experienced this a couple of times.
My wife and I we were in a take out restaurant. the person in line in front of us was arguing with the server behind the counter. After a couple minutes of arguing, the paper cup that was sitting on the counter suddenly flew off the counter like someone pushed it. (or if there was a gust of wind, but we were inside).
That moving cup made the ones arguing shut up.

My wife, who sees more than most, said that an entity who feeds off "negative energy" moved the cup.

I think there are things out there that feed off of our energy. We're special, we who are alive. Those that are not alive are attracted to us. (poltergeists to pubescent girls being one example) There are things that want us to be afraid, there are things that want us angry, and there are things that want us happy. They usually don't hurt, but you probably don't want them hanging around too much either.

Sometimes it is you that moves objects, sometimes it is you that feeds the one moving the objects.

There is a cosmological force called negative energy, by the way- it is suspected that it might even get strong enough to tear the universe apart...
sounds mystical eh?
by golly if there are beings that can use negative energy out there they could do a lot more than flick plastic cups around...

Alternatively the power of synchronicity is almost limitless in theory. If all the atoms in that plastic cup vibrated in the same direction at the same time by chance, that would result in a net movement.
The chance against it happening is probably greater than the number of atoms in the universe, but this does not make it impossible- and as Galileo said
"Eppur si mouve", [And yet it moves].

Stress coupled with an hormonal imbalance, if you were having your period at the same time whilst living or working in an area of naturally focussed psychic energy or on a ley line could be one reason for the unexplained kinesis.
Or it could have been your daughter reacting to bad atmosphere that stress can induce as has been mentioned earlier on this thread.

carole said:
Some people hypothesise that poltergeists are some form of energy generated by (particularly) adolescents - adolescence is supposed to be a time of emotional upheaval.

Maybe because you were in a state of 'upheaval', Hallybods, you generated some sort of energy . . .

Wasn't there something in New Scientist recently about the latest research showing that adolescent moodiness isn't down to just hormones in upheaval after all, that their brains appear to be actually 'rewiring' themselves during adolescence. If true, might not poltergeist activity be a side effect of that 'rewiring'? Just a thought.

I had a bit of a polt (or percieved it thus) not too long ago. There is a thread about it but i won't link because it looks stupid and lame and I was overreacting to some normal things (poss becasue i was stressed at the time) as well as the more genuine weird stuff. The best bit was when all these pictures fell down the stairwell when we were all in a different room (beihng alerted by a big crash) smashing lots of glass.

Occasionally I've seen things move at home without any force being exerted on them - like for example a pencil rolling over a couple of times, or something shifting position in the dish drainer. In the latter example I guess the water molecules on two items could "cling" together for a while, and when the surface tension relaxes a bit (because the water starts to evaporate?), the upper item shifts by gravitational force. (I'm not the least scientific so please excuse my crummy explanation.) But in the case of the pencil rolling over I really have no idea.

The only time I've experienced what could be termed a telekinetic effect was when I was going through my divorce. My ex and I were arguing about the household effects. As I had initiated divorce proceedings he was feeling very bitter and wanted to take almost everything, intending to leave my son and I destitute. Normally very laid back, I remember quite clearly boiling up inside and saying "OK Take everything, but I'll see you burn in Hell for it." Just at that moment there was as if a sudden gust of wind which moved my ex's hair and knocked over the photograph frame on the shelf behind him. He went white and that was the end of the argument. All the windows were closed btw. Scared the living shits outta me. I'm even less likely to argue now than I was then. :eek:

Re: Stressfully moving things

HeadNSpace said:
I have experienced this a couple of times.
My wife and I we were in a take out restaurant. the person in line in front of us was arguing with the server behind the counter. After a couple minutes of arguing, the paper cup that was sitting on the counter suddenly flew off the counter like someone pushed it. (or if there was a gust of wind, but we were inside).
That moving cup made the ones arguing shut up.

My wife, who sees more than most, said that an entity who feeds off "negative energy" moved the cup.

I think there are things out there that feed off of our energy. We're special, we who are alive. Those that are not alive are attracted to us. (poltergeists to pubescent girls being one example) There are things that want us to be afraid, there are things that want us angry, and there are things that want us happy. They usually don't hurt, but you probably don't want them hanging around too much either.

Sometimes it is you that moves objects, sometimes it is you that feeds the one moving the objects.

i'm not sure that polterguist activity is due to spirits as much as the psychological state of the person it seems centerd on.

It has been theorised before (I forget who by) that polt's may be an externalisation of an individuals psycholigical state.

I don't think, hallybods, that there is anything in your account that could not be explained in rational terms and because of the stress you where under you read more into random ocurances than they merited.

Just my own thoughts.

Re: Re: Stressfully moving things

Originally posted by The Virgin Queen

I don't think, hallybods, that there is anything in your account that could not be explained in rational terms and because of the stress you where under you read more into random ocurances than they merited.

Just my own thoughts.

Ordinarily (sp?) I would agree with you, but I was aware that I was doing it and some events cannot be explained away. How can something swing widly when no one walked past it? The item in the kitchen was a 3 sided scraper and it jumped into the air. :eek!!!!:

Hope you're feeling less stressed now, BTW.
Thanks Carole, I am feeling much less stressed now! :smokin:

Me and my roomate experience strange smells and loud banging on the ceiling. It seems pretty random, but I'm going to try and chart its appearance in relation to our stress levels. For instance- right now, beginning of a new school quarter, things aren't too bad- no noises. But last semester, it was happening multiple times a day (the banging). I don't really believe in polterguiests but its the only theory I have, other than hippos jumping on the roof.

Back