• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stumbled Upon Forteana

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
I'm not sure if such a thread exists already (I did some searching and came up empty handed). I thought this could be the place for any unexpected discoveries or things which we would like to show.

This is all in aid of this signpost I discovered recently, deep in the heart of the forest in Northern Sweden.

Remote-linked image is MIA
Located the following image, which is probably the same one that went MIA

Unknown.jpeg

Translated it says: Per Roth Sivertsson was murdered here 12/9/1878. (The sign was erected by JWA in 1965)

One of our hunting team had shot and killed a moose. We were walking to meet him and the quickest route was about a half hour hike through the forest. I was with 3 other guys and we were just walking along chatting. I spotted the back of the signpost first because it's obvious manmade squareness clashed with the surroundings. I was delighted and intrigued to find this signpost in the middle of nowhere. I spoke to some of the older residents in the nearest village who told me the Sivertsson was beaten to death, by another villager, over a dispute regarding money. There used to be a small road running through the forest here and he was attacked late at night. The forest has since reclaimed the road. A distant relative marked the place with the sign post and the rest was history.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just wonderful!

I love things like that. I'll keep my eyes open for things 'round these parts ('cross the pond, dontcha know.)

Very interesting. I've thought before that it would be neat if there were a website where people could share this sort of thing - stuff that's not exactly paranormal or unexplainable, but the sort of quirky things that people actually DO encounter (given that most of us will never see a UFO, Sasquatch, or whatever). Near where I live, for instance, there's a brick building made up of a combination of different hues of orangey-brown bricks. The different hues appear to be randomly mixed, although if you look at one prominent section on the front, you'll see the name "RANDY" spelled out with darker bricks! I dunno, I just find that kind of thing fascinating.

Ringo_ said:
I spoke to some of the older residents in the nearest village who told me the Sivertsson was beaten to death, by another villager, over a dispute regarding money. There used to be a small road running through the forest here and he was attacked late at night. The forest has since reclaimed the road. A distant relative marked the place with the sign post and the rest was history.

I think it's odd that somebody has erected a sign 87 years after the death - especially a 'distant' relative. With that gap intervening, there's only a relatively small chance that the sign-maker knew the victim, or, indeed, that the precise spot was known - unless there is some very specific reason for it to have been recorded...

Most peculiar. Good find.

theyithian said:
Ringo_ said:
I spoke to some of the older residents in the nearest village who told me the Sivertsson was beaten to death, by another villager, over a dispute regarding money. There used to be a small road running through the forest here and he was attacked late at night. The forest has since reclaimed the road. A distant relative marked the place with the sign post and the rest was history.

I think it's odd that somebody has erected a sign 87 years after the death - especially a 'distant' relative. With that gap intervening, there's only a relatively small chance that the sign-maker knew the victim, or, indeed, that the precise spot was known - unless there is some very specific reason for it to have been recorded...

Most peculiar. Good find.

The lady I spoke to, a kind of distant relative on my wife's side, has now found a booklet which is all about the local area. It contains Sivertssons story and was written in the '60's. Maybe his relatives read it and decided to commemorate him.

Sivertsson made chairs and furniture using only a small whittling knife - it was the only tool he had. He would strap the furniture to his back and walk the road for hours to get to the market. On this occasion, he was on the way home when he was waylaid. Others walking by the next day found his chairs scattered around the road and blood on a nearby rock. Later that day, a woman discovered his body in a ditch. He wasn't a very nice man by all accounts.

I stumbled upon this watching Flog it! today. :cool: For part of the programme the presenter, Paul Martin, visited Ragley Hall in Warwickshire.

In 1983, the painter Graham Rust completed a huge mural including pets, friends and family members which is known as "The Temptation" and is exhibited on the Southern staircase.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragley_Hall

But Wiki doesn't mention the Adamski-style flying saucer in the painted sky. Apparently an eccentric aunt refused to be in the picture unless it included a UFO!

Rust originally planned to depict people in period costumes. But Lord Hertford`s wife, the former Belgian Comtesse Louise de Caraman Chimay, suggested that he paint the family and their friends in modern attire.

``The problem then was choosing which of our friends would be in it,``
Lord Hertford said.

The family finally hit upon a happy solution intended to keep anyone from feeling slighted: They included only the godparents of their four children, plus two servants, Joseph and Iris Fobbester, the butler and the cook.
pixel.gif

Counting Christ and the devil, 33 people appear in the mural. One of them, Lady Jean Buchanan-Jardine, who is the aunt of the marchioness, has a great interest in flying saucers and said she would pose only if a flying saucer were included. So Rust obliged her by having her pointing up at a flying saucer that appears discreetly near a column.

``No one else is looking at it,`` Lord Hertford observed, ``because they were all painted beforehand.``

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1985-02-26/features/8501110556_1_mural-idyllic-landscape-paint

And...
Ragley Hall played the role of the far more grand Palace of Versailles in the fourth episode of the second series of the British science fiction television series Doctor Who, titled The Girl in the Fireplace, first broadcast in May 2006.

And there is a Road Ghost known as the ‘Hitchhiker of Ragley Hall’:
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/warwickshire/hauntings/hitchhiker-of-ragley-hall.html

Ragley Hall is a couple of miles SW of Alcester, and near an old Roman Road, the A435.

Back